help with installation on my PC

help with installation on my PC

by ritva tamminen -
Number of replies: 13
Hi!

I am very proud about myself because I almost did it! But when I started installation, and got to the topic glossary and setting up module tables. They said that there was a problem, because the tables already exists on my pc.
I couldn't go on .
So what shall I do?
In the end thre was a text : mysql: select * form mdl_course where category = "0" limit 1. It doesn't tell anything for me!

Ritva
Average of ratings: -
In reply to ritva tamminen

Re: help with installation on my PC

by Ken Wilson -

Hi Ritva

Here are a few steps to try:

1. Move the glossary module from the moodle/mod folder to somewhere else on your PC (i.e. cut and paste), and then restart the installation.

2. If the install completes, move the folder back to moodle/mod and visit the Admin pages.

Let us know how things go.

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by ritva tamminen -
I did that. But how do I go on installation. I have got the window apache + mysql starting open and when I write localhost to addresbar I get a index of files.

Ritva

by Ken Wilson -

Ritva

A few questions:

1. When you did the install, did you use the XAMPP download or did you use a manual install?

2. Is the "index of files" a list of files in the moodle folder? If so, check in your httpd.conf for the line:

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

3. Can you also post a screenshot as an attachment of the error?

Thanks

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by ritva tamminen -
1. I did use the XAMPP download.
2. Yes, the list is a list of files in the moodle folder.
but
3. where do I found this httpd.conf?
Sorry, but I am a very beginner with these cimputer downloads!
Is it easier/possible to remove all what I have done and start again. I think the problem is that I extracted the moodle files earlier and although I tried to remove all earlier data I couldn't remove all.

Ritva
In reply to Ken Wilson

by ritva tamminen -
Now I found the place. I coudn't open it first, but I think thisis the one ( I opened it with notepad)
I have got these lines in httpd.conf:

<IfModule dir_module>
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.php4 index.php3 index.cgi index.pl index.html index.htm index.shtml index.phtml
</IfModule>

Did yoy meen this?

Ritva

by Ken Wilson -

Ritva

Yes that's the one, and the entry is the same as my XAMPP install mixed. Check that you also have this line in your xampplite\apache\conf\httpd.conf file:

LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so

If the line is there and does not have a ";" at the start, then it sounds like something is corrupted - as XAMPP installs are always very straightforward. It might be best, as you suggest, to get a new download, delete the XAMPP folder and try again.

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by ritva tamminen -

Hello!

I restarted the installation and I think I succeeded, at least I coul cdeate a new cource. But in the admin-file, was the meaning to put my own data instead of f.ex. user, password and e-mail address, which was in admin page or leave it as it was.

I put my own data there, so did I do wrong? I was not sure what was the purpose. Put there was said that I can come back and change them later.

After creating the cource I coudn't find it any more. How can Iogin to the my cource again? Do all my students have to have moodle in their pc when they are in my cource? I think there must be a guidedance on maintaining the cource, but where?

Thank you!

Ritva

by Ken Wilson -

Ritva

Good to see that things are working again.

1. To change the details of any user, login as admin, from the Administration block click Users, then Edit User Accounts. Scroll down (or search) to find the user and click on the Edit link to change their details.

2. To check on your course creation, login as admin again and click Courses from the Administration block. Navigate through the course categories until you find the course, and then click on the teacher icon (the one with the face) and allocate teachers.

Take a look at the Teacher Documentation for more information about course creation and management.

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by ritva tamminen -

I am getting questions and answers to my email. How can I avoid that?

Ritva

by Ken Wilson -

Sorry Ritva, I'm not sure which emails you refer to thoughtful. Can you please post back and let us know.

Thanks - Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Tan M -

Hi Ken,

I had a question for you -- I also installed Moodle using the XAMPP download and it appears as though the mail function is not working.

I don't get notified when folks enroll in the course and none of the forum posts get sent out.  In the logs, I see the error:

library mailer ERROR: Could not instantiate mail function

Does yours do the same?  Did you have to do something special to fix it and activate the mail function?

Thanks!

In reply to Tan M

by T.C. Chappelear -

You need to designate a smtp and pop3 mail server I think.  If you search, there is a ton of stuff on the mail topic.  I was getting the same error as you and I fixed it.

You need a mail server that you can use.  I have one through my school that we use.  I guess what I am saying is that if you work for a school, you may be able to use that server or service for you moodle emails. 

1.  On the main page, click configuration.

2.  Click on Variables

3.  Click on mail at the top of the page or scroll down until you get to mail.

4.  This is where you will set up your smtp and pop3 mail server.

If  you use outlook, you can go there and just copy the smtp host information. 

I hope this makes sense to you because it worked for me.

T.C.

In reply to T.C. Chappelear

by Tan M -

Hi T.C.

Thank you for your reply!  I thought maybe the 'default mail process' would work but I think there might be some extra steps needed to have it do that.

As a result, I followed your advice and entered SMTP information.  Now it's working great!

Thanks so much for your help!