Assignments with more than 100 possible points

Assignments with more than 100 possible points

by Jeremy Scott -
Number of replies: 9
I have set up my course with a total of 1000 points possible.  Some assignments have more than 100 points.  Does anyone know how I can create an assignment that will reflect on gradebook more than 100 points (i.e. 125 points). 

Thanks,
F&TC,
- J
In reply to Jeremy Scott

Re: Assignments with more than 100 possible points

by Gwen Rodgers -
Definitely possible.  We did it but I don't remember how.  I searched the forums and found the code for it.  We now have ours set to 200 points possible.  If you don't find the code, send me an e-mail and I'll have my programmer find the missing code (grodgers@snu.edu)
In reply to Jeremy Scott

by Bob Puffer -
I have this note in my changelog for Moodle coding:

lib/weblib.php: changed function print_grade_menu to allow for grade drop-down maximum of 250
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Jeremy Scott -
Thanks for replying.

Excuse my ignorance, but where do I place this code?  Is there an existing file that I paste it into, or do I create a new file?  I haven't modified any code within my course at all.  This would be my first time.

Thanks,
- J
In reply to Jeremy Scott

Bob Puffer: Assignments with more than 100 possible points

by A. T. Wyatt -
lib/weblib.php: changed function print_grade_menu to allow for grade drop-down maximum of 250

I believe the actual line you are looking for is
for ($i=100; $i>=1; $i--)

Bob, can you confirm this please?

The file is weblib.php and it is located in the lib folder of your Moodle installation.  You will have to locate the line of code referencing the print_grade_menu and change the value to 250; the default will be 100.

You can edit this with a text editor on the server; or download, edit, and upload the edited file via ftp.

To do this, you have to have access to the file structure on the server.  It isn't something you can do inside your course!

I couldn't tell from your post if you had other than instructor rights to your Moodle instance.  I also cannot guarantee that this is right!  If you change anything, ever, rename your old file first so that you can quickly switch it back if the changes don't work properly!  Maybe Bob will come by and let us know for sure.  He has worked a lot on the gradebook.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: Bob Puffer: Assignments with more than 100 possible points

by Bob Puffer -
Yes, you've got the right location, A.T. and it does, indeed work on my implementations of 1.52+ through 1.62.  I think your advice otherwise is very good, also.  If this is the first time you've modified code in Moodle you may wish to begin keeping a log of changes made right away (as I did here, before I began using CVS).  That way, if you upgrade, you can walk through the changes manually (hopefully there won't be many), inspect their relevance and change requirements and be ready for the new version without losing needed enhancements.  Just my approach early-on.
In reply to Jeremy Scott

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Without modifying code, teachers can create custom scales. It would just be a little time consuming.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Bob Puffer -
I found custom scales to be bothersome in the gradebook (i.e., not calculated into the total).
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Michael Penney -
Yes this is a problem with scales: the Gradebook needs a maximum grade, however scales don't return a maxium grade. If Moodle scales were modified to enable a maximum grade then the gradebook could be modified to work with numerical scales*.

*(it may be hard to come up with a maximum grade for separate and connected ways of knowingsmile.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think that a quick check on the type of values would allow for this to be enabled. If it is a number then the max grade = max(scale values).