Trouble sorting by groups and categories in gradebook, 1.6

Trouble sorting by groups and categories in gradebook, 1.6

by Lesli Smith -
Number of replies: 7
Is anyone else getting the following error message when trying to look at grades by group and category?  This is new in 1.6.  I was able to look at grades class by class in 1.53 without having to download them to Excel.  Downloading them to a text file and converting it to xls seems to work, but then I have to delete all of the "hidden" assignments that show up in the Excel doc.  Too time consuming to do that as I have a whole year's worth of curriculum hidden. Any ideas for causes or cures?  Thanks.
Attachment Picture_2.png
In reply to Lesli Smith

Re: Trouble sorting by groups and categories in gradebook, 1.6

by Jeff Graham -
Do you have more information concerning your server setup? What database are you using?

How about the URL you have when this error shows up? You can omit the identifying server part, but everything after '/grade' should be included verbatim.
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Lesli Smith -
Unsure on server specs.  Am using the normal included gradebook, not gradebook +.

Here is the tag after /grade: grade/index.php?id=97&action=vcats&cview=&group=175

Basically, I can see grades by group if in overview of categories, and I can see grades by category for everyone if I want to check certain assignment grades.  What I can't get it to do is show me "DailyHomework" broken down into assignments by group--meaning it will only show me all 99 students at once if I want to check whether students have completed such and such assignment.

Thanks!
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Rick Boyce -
We're having this issue with our 1.6 setup.

Server: is a 4x 3GHz (Xeon) Dell Poweredges, 2GB Ram. Running Ubuntu 6.06. Apache 2.2 with PHP 5 any MySQL 5.1. The setup is running through an apache 2.2 reverse proxy server (handle external requests)

The main grades page (/grade/index.php?id=6&action=grades) allows filtering by groups, however when viewing a category of assignments & filtering by a group (or switching back to 'all participants') comes up with the 'No category to view by message' (i.e. /grade/index.php?id=6&action=vcats&cview=&group=6)

Any thoughts on a possible cause?
In reply to Rick Boyce

by Rick Boyce -
Just spotted the cause of the problem...

The URL from the dropdown box doesn't include the category name - the link looks like this: /grade/index.php?id=6&action=vcats&cview=&group=6 instead of this: /grade/index.php?id=6&action=vcats&cview=uncategorised&group=5.

Adding the uncategorised to the otherwise empty cview= seems to resolve the issue.

Any suggestions about where I can find the code to correct this? Presumably the code building those links is just missing the current category attribute.
In reply to Rick Boyce

by Lesli Smith -
Woo hoo!  That worked like a charm.  I just inserted "DailyHomework" (the name of my category in question) into the address where you had put "uncategorized" and I was able to view that category by group.  Thanks so much!  It of course would be better if it automatically did it when I selected a group, but until I can get a hold of the person who tracks the code for my site, this will be a nifty enough fix.  smile
In reply to Lesli Smith

by derek ward -
Having the exact same problem in 1.6.. I have three large sets of students and really need to see their grades by seperate groups.