More questions per page

More questions per page

by Cemil Giray Alyanak -
Number of replies: 6
It seems counterintuitive to only have one question per page in a lesson. Most lessons are not monodimensional in nature and may very well require a few questions to validate a student's grasp of the concepts.
Is there any way to add more questions per page? If not, I'd be glad to hear the logic behind having only one.
Thanks.
[my first postapprove]
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cemil Giray Alyanak

Re: More questions per page

by Sandra King -
I wish I could put more lessons on a page as well, maybe in future versions...
Sandra

by Dr S Bhatia -
Methinks it has more to do with the structure of lessons rather than the questions in it. The lesson has been designed to follow pathways(decision making) and thus it's usually 1 question/page (how will it decide if there were 17 questions on one page and each is a different 'type' and may or may not be gradable(essay) ?)

i usually like to take the student to next difficult ques if he answers the present one right or take him to an easier one if he answers this wrong. So lesson caters for this.
For more questions/page, quiz is ideal.
But i do agree, what u say is desirable.but suggets how to develop the algorithm

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Good first post and Welcome Cemil !

In short, one question per page allows the teacher to direct the student to different places depending upon the answer.   Unlike a quiz question, a lesson question can be a way to direct a student's learning path based upon the answer choice.  This is the way Dr. S Bhatia uses questions.

What I think you are asking is not so much why only one question per page, but how can I direct the student to a place in the lesson based upon the way they answer 3 or 4 questions.   There has been some talk about this.  A complex example might be a 25 question personality profile, that gives a "result" based upon a score matrix of answer types.    Another concept is having a conditional link based upon a lesson's score (here we would have a series of smaller lessons in a topic) where a 0-50% score sent the student to lesson 101, 51-80% went to Lesson 201 and 81-100% went to lesson 301.   I can't speak to where these ideas are in the priority of development of the Lesson activity. 

Not really an answer, but I wanted you to know that you and Sandra are not alone in your thinking !
In reply to Chris Collman

by Sandra King -
Chris thank you for answering and explaining your thinking process.

Allow me to explain what our instructors have been doing in straight html that I am required to duplicate in Moodle.

In the courses our student are currently enrolled in (that I am to replace with moodle) all students work completely asynchronously, and all work is practice until the final exam.

I. In the straight HTML course... Chapters begin with an intro, .
a) and then a page of content is presented in straight HTML and one or more questions are asked of the student.
b) The student clicks a link (anchor) which takes them to the bottom of the page (several screens down)
c) The question(s) are repeated and the correct answer(s) are given. (the student clicks another link (anchor) which takes them back to the original question, where they have the option of re-reading the page, clicking "back to review or clicking next
d) The student continues to the next page of content. and repeats steps a-c
e) after several pages of content a review (or quiz) is given to see whether students are retaining the information they were given. They can click and see immediately whether they got the correct answers.
f) At the end of a "chapter" they are asked all of the questions again (could be as many as 50 questions total in a chapter.) And again receive feedback immediately.

II. The format I have layed out in Moodle....Chapters begin with an introductory Web page (resource) with a link to the beginning of the first lesson in the chapter.
a) A page of content is presented (question page) and the student is given one question.
b) Depending upon their answer they go to a screen that says Right! Congratulations "xxx" is the correct answer to the question: YYY
c) or they go to a screen that says Wrong! Sorry!! "xxx" is the correct answer to the question: YYY.
d) The first time they get something wrong they go back to the content page, if they get it wrong again they are notified that they got it wrong, but that they are being progressed to the next page.
e) if the original course contained multiple questions on a page I have either broken the page into smaller bite sized pieces (some as small as two paragraphs) or if this isn't feasible, I present another question on the next page, but with no content.
f) I have limited the size of a lesson to no more than 15 pages, because the instructors and the Educational PhD. (admin) don't want branch pages that allow students to jump around in a lesson out of order. Therefore some of our larger chapters have as many as six lessons to cover all of the conent.
g) after one or more lessons there is a quiz

Students have access to the course for a minimum number of days with extensions available. Once they pass a graded final exam (either online or offline) they continueon to take a state exam and receive their state license.

I have created a workable, if ineligant solution (which is not yet complete).
if you would like to see what I am doing it is course title "ins003" at
http://www.oltraining.com/moodle
username: moodleuser
password: moodle
In reply to Sandra King

by Dr S Bhatia -
Dear Sandra

It was a nice decription you gave above(wide eyes)
I logged into you site which was cool (cool)

Now what i understand is this.
In a lesson, after making a statement/sub-topic, you wish to ask several questions before jumping to the next sub-topic. Am I right?
You wish more questions per page to do this quickly rather than slowly, right.
There are several options
one easy option is Do this:-

Lesson 1- write about your topic=> when it ends, it takes the person to quiz1 which has all those questions  that you wanted  the person to take as practice in lesson (your testing quiz remains as it is. here i am breaking your present lesson into lesson and quiz)

Now it's possible that your admin says that students may take the quiz without reading the lesson. So do a simple thing. Keep a password for the quiz which is  in the  lesson . So now at the end of the lesson you can say that password for the quiz is ns%hf*(*g ...........the student is then directed to the quiz. When he ends the quiz (showing score is upto you) give a link for lesson2.
Now comes the real beauty.
The lesson2 's dependency can be made to depend on the 'time spent on lesson 1'.
Let's say the student opens the lesson, scrollls to password, does the quiz straight away and then clicks lesson2.
An error appears saying: you spent less than the stipulated 10 mins on lesson1. Please do it again.

I mean there are several ways; but don't expect these lessons to be something like 'chapters ' in a book.
BTW good site
a lot of hard work is evident.
lastly, have a look at my site, too. I have done some of these tricks to acievemy objects.
In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by Sandra King -

Dr. Bhatia

Thank you for your response.

I had considered putting quizzes after almost ever page, but my boss Dr. Terrence R. Redding specializes in the psychology of education and it is his considered opinion that when a student has finished reading the content you have about a 10 second window to use your response to lock the correct info in his/her head. This is also why we never repeat the incorrect response, only the expected correct response.

For now I will probably continue using the format I have worked out. We use the chapter layout because it corresponds with the chapters a student should be reading in his text book.

BTW I looked at your website, I can see that you have put a lot of work into creating the different tests etc. The colors are very reminiscent of my time in India (about 13 years ago).