"Continue" page after each Branch table

"Continue" page after each Branch table

by Ivana Bosnic -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Testers
I must be missing something here... sad

I'm importing the PPT, it's nice, but it's imported like a series of Branch tables. So, in every one I have "Previous" and "Next", which is also OK. What bothers me is "Continue" page which opens after each "Next". I'd like that pages/tables continue smoothly.

If I delete the "Previous" and "Next" entries in the Branch, I get a great thing, only "Continue" button, but... Another problem: Now only the Title of the page is displayed, the Content is missing (could this be a bug or a normal behaviour?)

I know it could be done with empty Questions page, but Powerpoint is exported to Branch, so... sad

Any help for me?
Thanks,
Ivana
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivana Bosnic

Re: "Continue" page after each Branch table

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Ivana,
I assume you have been hacking the code in \mod\lesson\importppt.php.  That can be tricky and someone else will have to help you there.  

I wish that there was a place to turn off the "continue" button(s).   I don't see the purpose from a student or teacher standpoint, except that it adds another step/click.   I have read that this wish is real hard because every module has its own calls for a continue button and they can be in more than one place/file in every module.

It would be nice to have a couple of  switchs in lesson settings.  A choice to import a PowerPoint or an OOimpress presentation.  A choice to import into a series of branch pages or a series of question pages.  A choice to import an jpg image of the slide or to import the text.   I can hope.

Did you see this in MoodleDocsImport_PowerPoint

Hope this helps a little.  Chris

In reply to Ivana Bosnic

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Ivana,

The "(continue)" is not intentional.  It looks as though that the redirect API changed slightly to where it requires a message if the header is already printed.  I'll look into fixing this, but it may take a while.

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mark,

The unnecessary display of a Continue link after each Branch "table", plus the 3 seconds delay is really irritating in Moodle 1.6. I am suggesting this simple fix (tried and tested).

In file \mod\lesson\action\continue.php, line 595, change:

redirect("view.php?id=$cm->id&action=navigation&pageid=$newpageid");

to

redirect("view.php?id=$cm->id&action=navigation&pageid=$newpageid","","0");

Also reported as bug MDL-6503

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Joseph,

Sorry for not keeping you all updated, but I was working with Petr to solve this problem in MDL-5403.  It is now fixed in MOODLE_16_STABLE.

Cheers,
Mark

by marco farfan -
Hi Joseph, i did what you said but it doen't work. I still get the irritating "continue" button after a branche... do i have to do something else to reapir this problem???
thanks in advance..
marco
In reply to marco farfan

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Marco, if you use the latest version of Moodle (1.6.2+) the problem has been solved, you do not need to use my hack.
Well, the Continue button is still displayed but very briefly, it disappears almost instantly.
Joseph

by Luciano Rodriguez -
Hey guys,
I know this forum is 2 years old but just thought I say that I changed the 3000ms(3sec) to 1000ms(1sec)
The file I edited was /moodlesite/lib/weblib.php
I went down to line 6089 and found
}

if ($delay == -1) {
$delay = 3; // if no delay specified wait 3 seconds
}

to

}

if ($delay == -1) {
$delay = 1; // if no delay specified wait 1 seconds
}

Pretty much change this number to 0 or 1, at your own risk. ;)
Hope this helps you with that pesky Continue button.

I am running Moodle 1.9 + (Build: 20080317)
p.s. So far everything seems to be going okay. I will update you with any problems if any. smile
Regards
-Luciano
In reply to Ivana Bosnic

by Chris Collman -
Hi Ivana,
I mauled the importppt.php code trying to get something to import Open Office Impress jpg images.  You probably are more comfortable than me with php.  I hack by blind luck.

I did not want the student to see the next and previous buttons, only a continue button.   I remarked out lines 422-440 and 533-559 in /mod/lesson/importppt.php which is found in Moodle 1.6.1 .   What happens is that Lesson falls back to its default for a branch page when there are no button descriptions, the student only sees the continue button and goes to the next page in the logical order.  Wonder what happens if you allow students to review, in lesson settings, with this hack.   Not exactly what you want.

Re: no content.  Your lack of content is probably due to a complicated slide in PowerPoint.   Try a simple title and one level of subheadings, no pictures and see if that works. 

Hope this helps.   Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Ivana Bosnic -
Picture of Testers
Thanks, guys, for helping me out!

Actually, Chris, I wasn't hacking any code (for now smile ). I liked the fact realized before, that if I ommit the button description, only a Continue remains, and I'd like to be that way, if nothing better exists.

But I still have problems with lack of content field. Seems it's not the problem of complicated slide. I tried to manually insert a new branch table to the existing lesson, write anything as a title and content, but ommit the description of the buttons. Great, Continue button appears, but no content.

Could someone try it, just to see is it something with my Moodle or generally?

Thanks!
Ivana
In reply to Ivana Bosnic

by Sara Paullin Casto -
I am having the exact same problem. I get the Continue button but no text. I didn't import the lesson from Power Point. I did build it in an earlier version of Moodle, though. Don't know if that would make a difference.

Thanks!
(: Sara
In reply to Ivana Bosnic

by Chris Collman -
You got something going on.  I was in a version of 1.6 and that did not happen to me.   I created a new lesson.  Inserted a Branch table.  Added title and simple content.  Turned on student view saw my content.  Loged in a a student, saw the content.  

Hummmm.   Doe this happen on thedemo.moodle for you?

Chris