Two suggestions for improving forum browsing

Two suggestions for improving forum browsing

by Itamar Tzadok -
Number of replies: 5

For class discussions I use the nested view. But when messages start to pile up it becomes harder and harder to get a sense of the discussion, for two main reasons: 1) since the view is exploded one has to do a lot of scrolling back and forth when exploring the discussion; 2) most people don't bother to put meaningful subjects and thus one frequently has to re-view more than a message's subject to recall what is it about.

Two suggestions:

1) Allow expand/Collapse of messages' bodies both for individual messages and for all message at once. The former could be done by clicking the message subject and the latter by clicking two added buttons 'Expand All' and 'Collapse All'. The default nested view should open in collapsed mode and show only the messages' subjects. To the best of my knowledge it could be easily done with simple standard javascript and html and should not raise any outstanding multi-browsers compatibility issues. (I've tried that locally)

2) Remove the default 'Re: xxxxxx' subject and use instead the opening of the message body. The subject text field in the message edit window should be empty by default and not forced. If the message is posted with no subject, use the first, say, 60 characters and add '...' to indicate that there is more.

What do we get?

When I open the forum I can refresh my memory of previous discussion by reviewing the messages' titles. Note that now the titles view gives a better sense of the ongoing dialog since the titles are the openings of the messages rather than a repetitive 'Re: xxxxxx'. Since the forum is collapsed (or at least can be collapsed) many message titles fit into the window frame so I need to do less scrolling. If I want to read a certain message I simply open its body so I can see the message but also the other messages' titles. Since I'm in the same view I can scroll to nearby messages and open them too if I want to compare their content.

The above approach is perhaps not so important in professional 'I have a problem' kind of forums but is crucial for online discussions in Arts faculty courses.

A comment about the 'Re: xxxxxxx' feature.

This is probably a remnant of email based discussion groups. But it should be obsolete by now in LMS environment. If I use the nested view, I can see for each message to which message it is a reply. If I use the flat view then all messages are replies to the topic. So I don't need the subject to repeat that.   

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Two suggestions for improving forum browsing

by Antonio Fini -
Hi, Itamar.
Your suggestions are very significant in order to well manage web forums.
You may be interested in knowing that Forum Plus, a third-party extension of the standard Forum module, already includes these features.
Maybe that at least these two enhancements could be eventually included in the standard Forum module, in the future? smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Antonio Fini

Yes, I know about forum plus. It is an important project. But ...

by Itamar Tzadok -

as you probably know, Antonio, large institutions are not too thrilled about applying even the most minor of customizations let alone major extensions, so they could keep maintenance cost low. And since I'm just a lowly user I won't have these features unless I get a research grant and have my own machine to experiment on or get the features added to the standard module. That's why I started with the expand/collapse feature which is really very simple to implement.

Btw, there are two kinds of expand/collapse. One is of threads in the hierarchical view, and the other is of messages' bodies. I'm aiming at the latter although the former is also important. It seems from the brief description of the project that forum plus has the threads expand/collapse feature but I couldn't figure out whether it has the message content expand/collapse. Does forum plus have it? If it does I wonder why you chose to modify the threaded view. Surely, there is little difference between the nested and threaded views once the expand/collapse features are applied. The advantage of using the nested is that the sql query already provides the messages' content and thus modifying the view does not require more than local and limited changes to the html and some additional simple javascript. But perhaps you didn't care about that since you had to go through database changes for the other functionality anyway. For my purpose it is rather important. Since what I'm suggesting (at least the message content expand/collapse feature) is very easy to implement I hope that somehow it will find its way to the standard version soon. It is one small step to Moodle deveopers but one giant leap to forums users, I think. smile 

Re: Two suggestions for improving forum browsing

by Marcello Molino -
Hi, Itamar
I agree with what you say about default 'Re: xxxxxx' feature.
I removed the default 'Re: xxxxxx' subject and now title shows the first 'n' characters of the message  and add '...' (Moodle 1.5.3+).
Now no subject is required to post messages.
I modified post.html and post.php in .../moodle/mod/forum. (see attachment).
I hope this is useful to you too.

Marcello

PS: sorry for my poor english
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcello Molino

Thanks, Marcello, for the info. I was able to track down the ...

by Itamar Tzadok -

changes in post.php. I'm not sure, however, what modifications were made to the html file. Did you remove the subect text field from the the reply edit window? Unfortunately I'm not administrating the system in my institution so I don't have access to the files and cannot compare them with yours.

Anyway, I'm preparing a list of required modifications which I will try to get our dev team to apply, and your input is an important addition to it.

It's also nice to know that I'm not the only one who finds the evolution of forums to be too deviating from the main characteristics of the good old dialog which is not necessarily about this or that technical problem. (considering the 'Forum Plus' project, it must be something in the air in Italy smile)

Changes in post.html and Forum Plus

by Marcello Molino -
Yes, I remove the subject text field from the reply edit window.

I know ForumPlus very well (I'm from Italy) . I use it for my CSCL courses in education.
Anyway, I think that Forum Plus should be developed in order to include new features to improve scaffolding and supporting peer discussions.
Unfortunately now Forum Plus is not under development.

Could you inform me about modifications your dev team apply?
Thanks in advance.