So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

by Darren Smith -
Number of replies: 22
I am starting a new job in September and they are not using Moodle so there isn’t much need for me to hang around here anymore sad (ironically I got the job largely because of my Moodle work). I will still continue to use Moodle myself and I will check back in every now and again to see what is going on but I don’t think I will be very active – certainly nowhere near like I have been.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of those folk who have helped me in these forums, through chat, via skype, on MSN, on the telephone, in real life or indeed any other format! I would also like to thank Martin and the developers for providing something that has opened up areas of learning I had no idea existed. My students have had a better quality of education due to the work you guys are doing.

I may be back as more transparent integration becomes possible through web services and the like but the new school has other things I need to address first so, in the meantime, take care.

Darren
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darren Smith

Re: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

by Art Lader -

All the best, Darren. Hope you really will drop in again from time to time.

-- Art

In reply to Darren Smith

by N Hansen -
Darren-Good luck with the new job and thank you for everything you have contributed to these forums.
In reply to Darren Smith

by John Rodgers -
You will be missed Darren (although I'm sure you'll pop in frequently). smile

There is a possibility Moodle will become part of your new job too.
In reply to Darren Smith

by mandy honeyman -
Darren - how could you? surprise What was it money? Status? Success? evil. You've sold your soul to Blackboard haven't you?

You know I'm kidding right.... I'm very very sad to see you taking a back seat in the moodle train, I was wondering what are you going to do about e-subjects? It was becoming a real hub for course exchanges - even if you didn't realise it - it certainly featured in ideas that I had for the future, in terms of making courses available to other teachers/schools.

cheers
Mandy

In reply to Darren Smith

by Jason Hando -
Darren, you have contributed oh so much over the years. Thanks for all your helpful coments and suggestions!

Cheers,
Jason
In reply to Jason Hando

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Congratulations Darren,

Good luck and be sure to come back and visit from time to time.

Chardelle
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Julian Ridden -
Congrats from me as well. Just remember this quote in reference to your moodle work.

"You can check out any time you like. But you can never leave" wink
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Darren Smith

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Darren! This is a big loss to this community! And I never had a chance to visit you...

Good luck with everything.

mike
In reply to Darren Smith

by werner mülders -
All the best to you! Hope the new job is "... mostly harmless.." big grin

Werner
In reply to Darren Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ciao, Darren and thanks for all the help!
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by M Y -
Good Luck Darren,

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure this is a big blow to the community.

All the best,

Martin
In reply to Darren Smith

by Tony Sheppard -
Congrats on the job ... you know people will keep in touch.
In reply to Darren Smith

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Darren,

Thanks for all your contributions, mate. approve Hope Microsoft ask you to test the new Moodle feature they are funding!
In reply to Darren Smith

by Miles Berry -
Thanks for all you've contributed here Darren, and good luck at the new place.

I too am moving on. Today was (technically) my first day as Head of Alton Convent Prep (just down the road from Helen). I'm sure I'm going to miss lots of the hands-on ICT that's been a big part of my role at St Ives, but I still plan to be involved in some of the more strategic stuff and remain a part of the ed-tech, and indeed Moodle, community, although I'm conscious that my new role places a wider range of areas on my agenda.

It's some measure of Moodle's success that St Ives had no difficulty in finding a gifted teacher with Moodle experience to succeed me in my maths and computing roles.

I've posted a few thoughts on innovation at St Ives on my blog.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Art Lader -
Good luck, Miles. I am sure it is possible for someone to succeed you, but I am just as sure that no one will be able to replace you.

Best wishes to you at Alton Convent Prep.

-- Art
In reply to Miles Berry

by Sean Keogh -

Hi Miles,

Onwards and upwards, eh?

Will your new place be moodling?  If so, there will be quite a little concentration of moodle in and around Alton, with Alton College, plus Amery Hill School and The Petersfield School among others.

cheers and good luck, and hopefully see you again at next year's moot.

Sean K

In reply to Darren Smith

by Frances Bell -
Best wishes to you Darren in your new job.  And to you Miles in yours - though it is not clear to us nor perhaps to you whether or nor Moodle will be a part of that.
Whatever! - good luck to you both.
In reply to Frances Bell

by Ulrike Montgomery -

Darren and Miles,

Good luck for your new jobs. I enjoyed meeting both of you in person and I hope to see you again either at BETT or during a Moodle Moot.

All the best to both of you and thanks for your help. My maths and IT teacher colleagues really appreciated everything I told them about what you did.

Ulrike

In reply to Darren Smith

by Sean Keogh -

Hi Darren...and Bye Darren.

Do stay in touch.  I'm so busy these days that I rarely get the time to read the forums, especially the social ones, so you will probably be gone by the time this appears - but very best wishes for the future.

Sean K

In reply to Sean Keogh

by Darren Smith -
I'm back!  Don't Panic! (I promise that's the last H2G2 reference).

I'm just making a post about some interesting anti-moodle statements coming from RM and thought I would pop in to see if everyone is OK.

Great new Miles. I was wondering why I hadn't seen much of you in the usual places. I'm sure you will do a great job.

Thanks for all of the nice comments guys. Really nice. Much appreciated.

Well, must be off again!

Take care and happy moodling.

Darren