I would appreciate any feedback or bugs that you may encounter. I hope this block turns out to be useful for someone out there.
The following is from the included README file:
This block is used for importing WebCT quiz questions. Presently it only supports re-creation of quiz categories from WebCT and importing of Multiple Choice (including True/False), Short Answer and Matching question types. It will also import images that are attached to any question.
Future Development will include support for Paragraph and Calculated question types as well as re-creation of the actual quiz structures. Also a Glossary converter will eventually be built in.
This was a project that was developed to help Migrate our campus from WebCT to Moodle easily and quickly. If you find any bugs or have any feedback please feel free to e-mail me at email@example.com. I can't promise updates and fixes in a timley mannor due to other projects I have on the go but I will do my best.
Moodle 1.6.1 Stable (July 20th, 2006)
- Moodle running on a MySQL Database
This block has only been tested on Moodle 1.6.1 Stable (July 20th, 2006) on a Redhat Enterprise 4 AS server running Apache 2.0.58, PHP 5.1.4 and MySQL 5.0.22.
It should work fine on any Linux installation. I have not tested it on Windows servers so please e-mail me any bugs/feedback. The versions of Apache and PHP should not matter and same goes for MySQL.
This block will chances are not work on any version of Moodle 1.6. When I tested it on Moodle 1.6 importing the categories would break the entire quiz module in Moodle. This apparently was a bug in Moodle 1.6 that has since been fixed in Moodle 1.6.1.
1. Download webct_migration_block_xxxx.zip
2. Upload it to your Moodle server
3. Unzip the Block
4. Move the directory 'webct_migration' to the root of your moodle installation.
5. Move the blocks/webct_migration directory into your moodle/blocks/ directory.
6. Login to Moodle as an administrator and go to the 'Configuration' page and then to the 'Administration' page and the block will install.
7. Go to any course, turn editing on, add the 'WebCT Migration Block' and you're ready to go.
8. Click on the version link on the block for more information about the block.
How it works:
1. Login to your WebCT server and enter the course you want to migrate quiz questions from.
2. Go into the WebCT Control Panel and click 'Expanded Control Panel'
3. Under 'Manage Course' click on 'Export Content'
4. Select 'Quizzes, Surveys and Question Database' and click 'Continue'
5. Once the export is complete go back to the 'Expanded Control Panel'
6. Under 'Manage Files' click 'Download'
7. Find the zip file that was created by the 'Export Content' operation and download it.
8. Login to your Moodle server and go to your Course'
9. Click 'Migrate a quiz' on the WebCT Migration block
10. Follow the instructions provided to complete the process.
Coming back from my holidays, I am happy to see this posting .
I will try it and give you feedback
Following your email, I download the zip file, extract the directory so I have
I follow the steps to install, do a zip from a webct course and unfortunately I obtain this message on step 3
Step 3 - Importing your quizzes
Please wait ......
This may take a few minutes.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: simplexml_load_file() in /usr/local/chimie/moodle16_n/webct_migration/quiz/step3.php on line 57
On a PHP 5 1.7 head version it works correctly for the question types you said.
I have also a lot of calculated questions that were not imported but the category where created correctly.
See for yourself login as user: moodle pw:moodle
I will try on more complex questions with images.
I download other questions from an organic chemistry course and the images are not included correctly in the questions although they are installed correctly in the webct directory created in the files of the moodle course.
Look at the CHI_Org course in the moodle 1.7 installation used in the second test.
Eric has started another discussion for his new version of the tool
Anyone out there have it working on Postgres?