WebCT Quiz Migration Tool 0.3 Beta

WebCT Quiz Migration Tool 0.3 Beta

by Eric Schewe -
Number of replies: 11
Hey everyone I've finally managed to getting a copy of this tool done to the point I feel comfortable releasing it.

I would appreciate any feedback or bugs that you may encounter. I hope this block turns out to be useful for someone out there. smile

The following is from the included README file:

Description:

This block is used for importing WebCT quiz questions. Presently it only supports re-creation of quiz categories from WebCT and importing of Multiple Choice (including True/False), Short Answer and Matching question types. It will also import images that are attached to any question.

Future Development will include support for Paragraph and Calculated question types as well as re-creation of the actual quiz structures. Also a Glossary converter will eventually be built in.

This was a project that was developed to help Migrate our campus from WebCT to Moodle easily and quickly. If you find any bugs or have any feedback please feel free to e-mail me at schewee@mala.bc.ca. I can't promise updates and fixes in a timley mannor due to other projects I have on the go but I will do my best.

Requirements:

Moodle 1.6.1 Stable (July 20th, 2006)
    - Moodle running on a MySQL Database

Testing information:

This block has only been tested on Moodle 1.6.1 Stable (July 20th, 2006) on a Redhat Enterprise 4 AS server running Apache 2.0.58, PHP 5.1.4 and MySQL 5.0.22.
It should work fine on any Linux installation. I have not tested it on Windows servers so please e-mail me any bugs/feedback. The versions of Apache and PHP should not matter and same goes for MySQL.

This block will chances are not work on any version of Moodle 1.6. When I tested it on Moodle 1.6 importing the categories would break the entire quiz module in Moodle. This apparently was a bug in Moodle 1.6 that has since been fixed in Moodle 1.6.1.

Installation:

1. Download webct_migration_block_xxxx.zip
2. Upload it to your Moodle server
3. Unzip the Block
        unzip webct_migration_block_xxxx.zip
4. Move the directory 'webct_migration' to the root of your moodle installation.
        Example: /wwwroot/moodle
5. Move the blocks/webct_migration directory into your moodle/blocks/ directory.
        Example: /wwwroot/moodle/blocks
6. Login to Moodle as an administrator and go to the 'Configuration' page and then to the 'Administration' page and the block will install.
7. Go to any course, turn editing on, add the 'WebCT Migration Block' and you're ready to go.
8. Click on the version link on the block for more information about the block.

How it works:

1. Login to your WebCT server and enter the course you want to migrate quiz questions from.
2. Go into the WebCT Control Panel and click 'Expanded Control Panel'
3. Under 'Manage Course' click on 'Export Content'
4. Select 'Quizzes, Surveys and Question Database' and click 'Continue'
5. Once the export is complete go back to the 'Expanded Control Panel'
6. Under 'Manage Files' click 'Download'
7. Find the zip file that was created by the 'Export Content' operation and download it.
8. Login to your Moodle server and go to your Course'
9. Click 'Migrate a quiz' on the WebCT Migration block
10. Follow the instructions provided to complete the process.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Schewe

Re: WebCT Quiz Migration Tool 0.3 Beta

by Pierre Pichet -

Hi Eric,

Coming back from my holidays, I am happy to see this posting smile.

I will try it and give you feedback

Pierre

In reply to Eric Schewe

Re: A first trial

by Pierre Pichet -

Hi Eric 

Following your email, I download the zip file, extract the directory so I have

www.chimie.uqam.ca/moodle16_n/webct_migration/

and

www.chimie.uqam.ca/moodle16_n/blocks/webct_migration

I follow the steps to install, do a zip from a webct course and unfortunately I obtain this message on step 3

Step 3 - Importing your quizzes

Please wait ......

This may take a few minutes.

Importing categories

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: simplexml_load_file() in /usr/local/chimie/moodle16_n/webct_migration/quiz/step3.php on line 57
And effectively  simplexml_load_file() is a PHP 5 function and the installation I use is PHP4.
I will try in another installation with PHP 5 and let you know the results.

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by George Tiger -
My Moodle installation is on hosted account and I can't change the version of my PHP. I can only use version PHP 4.4.4, which is what is intalled. However, I get the exact same error theat Pierre describes. Is there anyway I can get around this without having to change my version of PHP? Thanks in advance.
In reply to George Tiger

by Eric Schewe -
The problem is I use the SimpleXML functions that are new in PHP5 and not in PHP4. I will take a look at work tomorrow and see if I can use the existing code and just make minor tweaks to use what ever PHP4 has for loading and parsing XML.
In reply to Eric Schewe

Re: A second trial and a success!!

by Pierre Pichet -

Good newsbig grin,

On a PHP 5 1.7 head version it works correctly for the question types you said.

I have also a lot of calculated questions that were not imported but the category where created correctly.

See for yourself login as user: moodle   pw:moodle

http://132.208.141.198/moodle_head_exp/

Good workbig grin

I will try on more complex questions with images.

In reply to Eric Schewe

Re: A third trial and some questions

by Pierre Pichet -

I download other questions from an organic chemistry course and the images are not included correctly in the questions although they are installed correctly in the webct directory created in the files of the moodle course.

Look at the CHI_Org course in the moodle 1.7 installation used in the second test.

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Eric Schewe -
Hmm, thats the second report of that. Possibly I messed up the code to get the new names of the images and assign them properly. I will take a look at it.
In reply to Eric Schewe

by Mike Finney -
Does anyone know if there is a newer version of this that works in the PHP 4 version? I tried the beta that is currently listed and it seems to be locking up. If anyone knows of one... please let me know.

Thanks

In reply to Mike Finney

by Eric Schewe -
I took a look and I don't think it's going to be practical to add in support for PHP4. I think the easiest solution would be to get XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) and install Moodle on there with the migration block, import/migrate your quizzes and then just make a backup of the course and restore it on your Moodle server running PHP4. Sorry there isn't a better solution.
In reply to Eric Schewe

Re: WebCT Quiz Migration Tool 0.3 Beta

by Kent Villard -
Was this block written specifically with MySQL in mind - it dies with an undefined function (mysql_query()) error, this is too bad because we are running Postgres sad

Anyone out there have it working on Postgres?