Blackboard Patents

Blackboard Patents

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 207
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Isn't it ridiculous what the patent offices allows companies to patent?

http://www.blackboard.com/patent

P.S. Software Patents are Evil.

P.P.S. I'm not worried as I think there is plenty of prior art.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Blackboard Patents

by Don Schwartz -
"Software Patents are Evil."

Worse than evil, they don't make any intellectual sense.  Process patents are the worst.  How can someone patent an idea like reverse auctions if the underlying technology of the IP packets wasn't there first.

Blackboard can shove their WebCT

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
One of the problems with Software Patents (and perhaps patents in general), is that even if there is obvious prior art, the smaller market players will find it hard to defend any "infringement" legally.Thus it puts up an artifical barrier to entry into the market. This of course is an even greater discouragement to open source development where the budget for the legal department tends to be somewhat minimal.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Don Schwartz -
If those jerks go after Moodle, I for one, will donate to the Moodle Defense Fund.

I suggest Martin setup a separate bank account / PayPal in that name so that last minute scrambling for cash is not needed. 

Also:

Is there a lack of chatter here because folks are worried that the evil ones are lurking and getting our names?  If so, then they've already won.
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle is exactly why they went after patents. Moodle is the only *real* threat they have at the moment.

This whole thing shows exactly why patents have become almost ridiculous.

mike
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Sigurdur Jonsson -
I'm sure we will all stand by Moodle if it comes to that and I'll be the first one to donate to a Moodle defense fund if established. Right now I would really like to know more about the possible dangers regarding this patent, to us Moodle users and also other LMS players out there. My believe is that we will not stand alone if Blackboard decides to aggressively use this patent and attack other vendors and developers.

Blackboard filed the patent in June 2000 when the "threat" of open source LMS systems was not as apparent as it is now. So I'm not so sure it was aimed at open source systems at the time it was filed. Besides there are numerous proprietary systems competing with Blackboard. A recent survey on the LMS market from Bersin & Associates analyses 22 vendors, none open source as far as I can tell. It will be very interesting to hear their reactions to this recent development.

regards,
S.Fjalar
In reply to Sigurdur Jonsson

by Tony Hursh -
Blackboard filed the patent in June 2000

Mallard here at UIUC dates from 1995, and I'd be surprised if it were the first one.

In reply to Sigurdur Jonsson

by Matt Crosslin -
It would be nice to think that they didn't go after Moodle intentionally, but the fact that they already have it patented in Australia and New Zealand before Europe and other large nations is a little fishy.  Maybe the patent process is quicker in those countries, but it still looks suspicious.

This, to me, is almost equivalent to Microsoft trying to patent the concept of a web browser.  If they did that, they would have gotten hit with a lot (more) anti-competition monopoly charges.  Surely, there has got to be some place that we, as a Moodle community, can file complaints about this patent.  Certainly, it crosses the line.  Just look at the first line of the abstract:

"A system and methods for implementing education online by providing institutions with the means for allowing the creation of courses to be taken by students online"

If ANYONE doubts the fact that BlackBoard is afraid of competition, and you weren't convinced by the fact that they have a habit of purchasing any competitors (WebCT was not the first), then this should prove something to you now.

I've always thought that the "merger" of BlackWeb smacked of something sinister.  I wonder if they used this patent as leverage to "convince" WebCT to sell out.
In reply to Matt Crosslin

by Leonard Low -
It seems that WebCT was not the first competitor that Blackboard have bought out.  Blackboard itself was only founded in 1997, but appears to have bought out a previously founded company, Mad Dog (Duck?) Enterprises and their product Web Course In A Box in 2002, and merged with CourseInfo (Cornell University) in 1998.

I suspect that Blackboard is sueing Desire2Learn as an "easy victim" - they'll drain D2L of financial reserves and establish a legal precedent that they can use in subsequent cases against other entities.
In reply to Leonard Low

by Don McIntosh -

Blackboard also purchased a similar product called Prometheus in about May of 2003 and converted users over to Blackboard.  Prometheus is no longer supported. 

Certainly WebCT users are concerned about the "merger" with Blackboard and what will happen to their system.

Don.

In reply to Don Schwartz

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Since this is the social forum, as Dame Edna is fond of saying "I mean this in only the best possible, kindest way..." smile

Let us not be looking under every rock for the bad guys and gals who may or may not be in our midst.     As I think somebody pointed out in this thread already, when some of us start looking over our shoulder, it is a good way to crash into the obvious.   

Do we think open source Moodle is driving the cutting edge trends?   Which suggests that the mega corp will need to catch up to rear end us.   There is always the copyright counter attack.  Where somebody claims that Blackboard  has been knocking off the look and feel of the leader's product for years.

Yeah it is all about the money.   It is a good thing Uncle Bill does not have a product or combination of products that could be construed to violate the Blackboard patent(s).   

Peace
In reply to Chris Collman

by Matt Crosslin -
"It is a good thing Uncle Bill does not have a product or combination of products that could be construed to violate the Blackboard patent(s)."

What really matters is if a judge will decide to hear a case.  It doesn't matter if any LMS decides they don't violate this patent.  It only matters if a judge decides to hear the case, and send the claim to (a potentially expensive) trial.  Many a corporation have folded in the face of a possible trial, even ones that they knew they could win, just because of the threat of a lawsuit by a powerful corporation.

My experience has been that the bad guys will come up and bite you in the bum if you aren't looking under every rock for them.

If you do a News search, you will see that this patent was recently announced by Blackboard.  When is the last time you ever heard of a company announcing they received a patent for a product that has been around for years?  Yeah, those companies that were ready to kick butt on their competitors.  I think we would be wise to take notice.
In reply to Marcus Green

by A. T. Wyatt -
From the FAQ

My institution doesn’t use a Blackboard system but uses a competitor’s course management system. How are we affected?

Evaluating patents can be complex and because we don’t know the specifics of how your system works, we would encourage you to consult with your CMS provider for answers.

That does sound rather alarming.  Reminds me of the whole Acacia thing over streaming content. . .

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Richard Treves -
I spotted that line to, sounds like a great big dollop of FUD to me.  If University X pops its head up as thinking about swapping to Moodle then BlackCT smirk to themselves as they say 'you do know we hold the patents to the VLE, would you want to swap to a system we might sue out of existance?'

It may be more valuble to them as a big stick to wave around rather than actually using it and running into trouble as its not a patent they can defend.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Don Quixote -
After a long time of absence at moodle.org I have stumbled by coincidence on this thread.

Well, I was shocked to see that it is now going towards the patent stuff sad On the other hand... probably it's one more of those "cases" that are needed to finally crash the whole patent industry worldwide and send all those patenting bastards to hell!

Why are still so many of us cowardly passive against a system that allows people to externalize costs, privatize earnings, monopolize knowledge (even if it is produced by others or doesn't "belong" to anyone), squeeze every buck out of others, etc. How dumb are we?

Are some of us, even speculating to become suddenly also winners on their sides? Are some just quiet in order to not put at risk their job, not to get in troubles? Most of us are living in democracies, so WE define how the world looks like in which we are living...

Btw, one of their strongest weapons is, that people tend to rather like to solve an "isolated problem" (let's say: Moodle isn't threatened by Blackboard patents) than to consider the entire problem.

Off again for another year or so wink
Don Quixote

"the name is programme"

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Interesting, if they come after Moodle - who do they sue?

Everybody using it? The developers of the individual bits they object to? Martin?

Should be fun!

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Yes software patents are evil, and we could even widen this range to other fields such as genetics and so on. Open source and free software are the solution because there is no company to sue, there are only integrators. So frag them all!!!

Rigth now I'm writing my phd thesis (whish me luck!!!) about E-learning and sutainable development, and this case has just openend one chapter I din'nt think about. If E-learning can be a key tool to empower human development and sutanibale debelopment (that sure is!) software patents can be a way to stop it fro being so. Like all alternative energy technologies to oli have been delayed at least 20 years cause somebody bought in time the patents just to slow them down...

Software patents are evil. But Moodle is here to stay!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I don't actually think anything will happen, because all enforcement will do is make Blackboard look like the bad guys. I believe the announcement is a PR thing right now so they can gauge market reactions and get some free exposure on the news wires.

If we do need to, though, you can bet your Assignments that there WILL be an LMS/CMS/VLE Defense Fund set up to fight it (for not just Moodle, but the 100 or more other systems and thousands of developers this action would be affecting).

I am totally not worried about this, everything is fine. So please don't panic everyone!

by Ger Tielemans -

Well, maybe you should ask a patent for the still fantastic graphical overview of a course with resources and activities organised in sections and with the outline-function as visual refinement, all on one page...

...and then grant BB to use this in their next release smile

by Julian Ridden -

I'm with Martin. Going after Moodle, or for that matter any oter LMS system would hurt their own reputation more than help them.

The fact is it sounds pretty much like they have tried to patent a concept(LMS) rather than a specific technology or process. I can't believe they were able to do this. sad I understand a need to protect intellectual copywrite. The ability to protect ones own invention is paramount to truning it into a succesful venture. But if I was to invent a new rasberry flavoured fizzy drink and patent softdrinks as a whole..I would be laughed out of the room. But sadly this is what looks like has happended here. Blackboard are more than entitled to protect their intellectual property...and god help anyone who copies their system, but geee..if they tried to attck the other wide range of LMS's with different methodologies, technologies and design..I cant really see them holding this up.

So,let's just see what happens, And in the meantime Im off to patent 'stupid ideas'. Ill make a fortune off that one big grin

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Josep M. Fontana -
>And in the meantime Im off to patent 'stupid ideas'. Ill make a fortune off that one big grin

Julian, I think you are overly optimistic about that one. If there is a huge amount of prior art for something, it is for 'stupid ideas' wink.

Josep M.

by Steve Hyndman -

I don't actually think anything will happen, because all enforcement will do is make Blackboard look like the bad guys.

Irony at its best wink

Steve

by Bill Burgos -
Don't forget the EFF. They already have a Patent Busting Project (tm?) here:

http://www.eff.org/patent/

I already sent an email to them asking them to put BB on their "Wanted" list.

This should give them the exposure they want/need.

by Martin Dougiamas -
As an aside, I would really appreciate if anyone interested could help add entries to this page:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Online_Learning_History

by Richard Treves -
Nathan Boddington VLE dates from the 90's and is added, I found a good potted history (see the wiki) but I can't find precise dates.  I've emailed them to ask.

I asked my Dad (patent attorney - makes for some interesting family dinner conversations smile ) what searching he thinks the patent granters would have done to enable the patent, he says they do try to look outside their own index of patents for information on prior art but that they tend to rely on their index quite a lot.  So collecting this information (I'd never heard of Mallard) could be very useful.

Rich
In reply to Richard Treves

by Roger Emery -

I dropped in WOLF/Learnwise which we've used for years just to add to the timeline.

As an aside my secondary school had a few commordore PETs and I remember taking a test which was marked by the tutor centrally back in 1984 ish. I think we had to save our results on 5.25" floppys or cassette or something and hand them in. Not quite networked VLE, but going in the general direction. 

by Ken Wilson -
I remember rolling out the OnLiNM VLE (which was the predecessor to Nathan Boddington) at work. This would be about 1997-1998. It was hosted at Leeds University, so maybe someone from there can provide precise dates.

-- Ken

by Anthony Whyte -
You might also consider contributing any documentation you generate regarding Moodle or any other systems members in the Moodle community may have had a handing in developing to the wikipedia entry on the history of virtual learning environments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_virtual_learning_environments

Cheers,

Anthony Whyte
Sakai Foundation
In reply to Anthony Whyte

by Sam Bauers -
May I suggest that anyone who is going to, or already has contributed to the wikipedia "History of virtual learning environments" page also add appropriate references to books or journals that clearly document their prior art.

As an example I have documented the relevant references for the Omnium Project in 1999 on that page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_virtual_learning_environments#1999

It will make that page a far more relevant legal resource for the Desire2Learn defense.
In reply to Sam Bauers

by Leonard Low -
Part of the work a defence community will need to do involves a fairly involved analysis of each product to document its counter-claims in prior art against each itemised claim in the patent documentation.  Documented references are the first step, but it's certain we'll need volunteers to help with this more detailed analysis soon.
In reply to Leonard Low

by N Hansen -
Well, I don't know if it can be done independently of D2L's case, but the Chronicle of Higher Education article made a point that D2L had not yet decided whether to fight the case based on prior art or on the grounds their system was different from the patent specifications. If they go the latter route, they probably are on their own in proving that. 
In reply to N Hansen

by Sam Bauers -
Either way the case will set a precedent for the patents defensibility and influence future litigation attempts by Blackboard.

I believe that Desire2Learn could also use the defense that the patent is "obvious" to a "person having ordinary skill in the art".

I.E. there is nothing ingenious about the patent and therefore it is not an "invention".

On it's own (without further analysis) the prior art stockpile would probably give this argument some backup.
In reply to Sam Bauers

by Tony Hursh -
the defense that the patent is "obvious" to a "person having ordinary skill in the art".

One of Blackboard's claims is on multiple roles.
This article says:

One such function developed by the company is the ability of a single user to access multiple courses under different roles. For example, graduate students are able to access classes for which they are teaching assistants and classes they are taking as students

Graduate students have been teachers in some classes and students in others for centuries. The need for this would be immediately obvious to ANYONE implementing an on-line course management system, and in fact that capability is present in EVERY such system I'm familar with. I'm pretty sure that even the 1960s era PLATO system had that capability, and I'm positive that Mallard did.

I don't think the "non-obvious" has been met here. smile
In reply to Tony Hursh

by N Hansen -
Maybe BB can do that today, but when they filed the patent they hadn't thought of that yet. Roles were predefined for each person and while it said there were multiple roles-admin, teacher and student-it doesn't say in the patent that a single person could have more than one role.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Auston Auston -

Yeah... I think also and fully agree  with you dude.

Auston

UK

(Edited by Mary Cooch to remove link- original submission Saturday, 8 January 2011, 07:11 AM)

by James Phillips -
It would be worth checking this with a patent attorney (which I am not), but as the US operates a post grant objection system I believe the patent they are showcasing can still be objected to (up to nine months from the date of issue, I believe). If they are actually going to try to enforce this patent I am guessing they may wait for that deadline to pass first. There is also a very high chance that their patent portfolio is there for the purpose of attracting investors (or a buyer) and that they will not be overly keen to test out the validity of their own patents. Whatever their intentions, a detailed wiki giving a timeline of what happened when is definitely a very good idea.

There is a lot of information about this sort of thing here.

by Benoit Brosseau -
the more dangerous part of all this is not now but its after BB/webct will be gone belly up. at that point sharks are comming in and buying the rights for a song and the they sue everyone and their grandmothers... look ate the mess with JEPG or even the SCO guys.  angry

by Jason Cole -
Well, so much for thinking it would be a while before they decided to enforce the patent. I've just received a copy of the letter Desire2Learn has sent to their users about being sued for patent infringement by Blackboard.

I've attached it here (apologies in advance for a long post)

Hi Everyone,

For those of you attending the Desire2Learn Users Conference today in Guelph this will be redundant information.  For those of you not attending, we are sorry you are not here but we wanted to share some information with you in the spirit of our company's historical and ongoing collaborative approach with our clients.

On Wednesday, July 26, Blackboard Inc. issued a press release about a patent that was issued to them by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.  That day, Blackboard Inc., a Washington, D.C. corporation, filed suit against Desire2Learn Inc. in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, alleging that Desire2Learn is infringing on the patent Blackboard announced that day. 

We are disappointed that Blackboard turned to the court system before discussing its claims with us.  We intend to defend the action vigorously, but because we just received notice two business days ago, we are unable to comment further at this time.  Please understand that due to the nature of litigation some information can not be provided at this time.  We pledge that as we are able to provide additional clarity on this matter, we will share information with all of our clients. 

Given the current U.S. litigation climate, patent actions are not unusual.  While the matter is serious and will require our attention, it will not affect our day-to-day business, product roadmap, attention to client success, or future directions.  We have established a team to address strategy and develop an action plan. 

We remain confident in our market leadership through continuing innovation and differentiation; superior client support and service; track record of growth; marquee client list (as is evident here at our conference), and extraordinary employees. 

Thank you again for your continued commitment and support.  As the litigation progresses we may ask you for to provide certain information and we hope you will consider cooperating if we do so.

Should you have any questions please direct them to Jeremy Auger (COO), John McLeod (Director of Marketing), Diane Lank (Internal/US Counsel), or myself.

Our plans here at the Users Conference have not changed; we know this will be our best Users Conference to date given the incredible number of attendees, superb speakers, schedule of informative and fun events, and wonderful host/venue.

Best Regards,
John

John Baker
President & CEO
Desire2Learn Inc
1-519-772-0325 x407
John@Desire2Learn.com
http://www.Desire2Learn.com

In reply to Jason Cole

by Martín Langhoff -
This is rather nasty. +1 on what MartinD is asking: we need to flesh out a ton of prior art. So http://docs.moodle.org/en/Online_Learning_History

and the Wikipedia page Antony Whyte points out is also relevant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_virtual_learning_environments

Reading their patent, it is rather vague and general. It should be easy to find prior art on the technologies they describe.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Ger Tielemans -
  • CCC-project from Suppes and Atkinson Stanford University? (by 1978 150.000 students from 24 states were enrolled in daily distance courses) 
  • TICCIT project from Bunderson (1975) Bringham Young University, Provo Utah
  • PLATO, PLANET, COURSEWRITER, PILOT, TAIGA, TUTOR (Control Data), ASET(Univac), DECAL/CAS (Digital), TENCORE, PHOENIX / IIPS IIAS (IBM), MCSD (Delft), QEUST/MUMPS, CAIASCO, MODCOMP (Authoring) Course Structuring Facility (CSF) IBM, NGL (Sybase)...

The oldest documented (ISBN 90 6472 042 8) educational project in The Netherlands: Leren met computers in het onderwijs

names: A. Dirkzwager, J. Beishuizen, G. van der Veer, R. van de Perel, F. Brazier,

In december 1968  Project  0113B funded by the Foundation for Educational Research (SVO) was started by two Dutch universities. Starting from 1968 schools were connected with terminals to mainframes:

1. University Leiden: focus on automation of didactical decisions during individual learning (1968-1979)
  2. Free University Amsterdam: programming of responsive environments for indepedent learning (1968-1982)

An overview book from 1996, that is two years before 1968..

Telelearning in a digital world: the future of distance learning, Bety Collis

ISBN 1 85032 157 4 (http://www.student.cardonald.ac.uk/sln/fv/nav/web/pack/ss1/21century.html)

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by elearning edu -

I remember working with UMUC on an elearning product called Webtycho
The link provides the history of Webtycho
http://tychousa2.umuc.edu/help.nsf/htmlmedia/History.html
As a University professor I got involved in elearning testing almost all the elearning systems from 1980.
I remember at the earliest point of time WebCT and Bb approached us for beta testing their versions before going to the market.
During 1999-2000 I engaged coders, commissioned and deployed an elarning framework for my University.
I will search my files to get the earlier correspondence we had with Bb
I am to proclaim that elearning is organic (mental process) and Moodle is costructional and not a mechanical process.
I dont know whether Patent will cover the mental process.
I still remember an article where how the patent office refused to patent a graduate student's graduate project work  training of pigeopns to do quality checking in a pharma industry and the Patent refusal was based on the fact that it is a mental process and not a mechanical process.

Nagarajan

In reply to elearning edu

by Don McIntosh -

Hello Nagarajan,

It sounds like you will be a hugely valuable resource in the fight against Blackboard.  I invite you to participate in the history timeline at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_virtual_learning_environments.

With regard to patenting a mental process, I used to tell my students that you can't patent an idea but now it seems you can.  One of the first was Amazon's "one-click" patent.  Although it is under review because a teacher from New Zealand challenged it on the basis of an earlier patent that was issued for essentially the same thing.  See http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060519-6872.html.  This gives us hope.

In reply to Don McIntosh

by elearning edu -

Hello Don,

Thanks for your invitation to join.  I will be happy to join with you to stop Bb from its threatening move to weaken the open source movement.

Even I am thinking of lobbying/advocating/seeking legal remedy for preventing Bb into India.

Nagarajan

by John Windmueller -
Nagarajan, I thought I'd mention that WebTycho is still alive and strong throughout the consortium of public Maryland universities. It's used as the primary e-learning tool here at the University of Baltimore.

by A. T. Wyatt -
Some references to prior art (I can't tell if you guys have already mentioned them, but they might be worth looking into.)

http://www.downes.ca/cgi-bin/page.cgi?post=35209
(see comments)
http://fm.schmoller.net/2006/07/blackboards_us_.html

Hopefully, there is more!

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by N Hansen -
Well, I started teaching my first online course, designed entirely by me, 16 days before they filed their patent request on June 30, 1999. One or two others had taught online courses through my institute a couple years previous to that as well. Here's a partial screenshot of the advertisement for the course. I still have the entire advertisement and the course files somewhere. I plan on running an updated version of it again using Moodle.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Dirk Herr-Hoyman -
Just in case you want to see the legal filing
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33396
it's attached to this article.
In reply to Dirk Herr-Hoyman

by James M -
What a shock ... it's filed in Beaumont, Texas. One thing they sometimes do is try the patent with one company first (Desire2Learn) ... then if that succeeds move onto others. So, there's a real benefit to helping Desire2Learn with their case.
In reply to James M

by Josep M. Fontana -
Well, someone ought to contact Desire2learn and pass them on the information on prior art people have collected here. I'm pretty sure the Moodle community has been more efficient (and cheaper  smile) their lawyers could ever be.

Josep M.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Martín Langhoff -

After a quick check on the ATutor forums, and seeing there was no discussion about the patents, I've gotten in touch with Greg Gay -- he says:

If you are looking for evidence of LMS type apps prior to 1999, > here's a study we did early that year.

http://snow.utoronto.ca/initiatives/crseval/crseval.html

We'll be in contact with the patent office in Canada, to make sure no patent is issued here.

We're onboard on this too.

and I think that study is good stuff and having them on board is great. big grin

by John Rodgers -
So Blackboard has patented the LMS.  I wonder are they still as dedicated to interoperability and standards?
In reply to John Rodgers

by - - -

I'm a bit of a newbie, can someone please explain how patents affect customers?

Cheers!

In reply to - -

by Martín Langhoff -
Patents don't affect customers. They only annoy developers smile

MS has been attacked with patent claims on all sides, and not one of their customers has been sued for those patents.

by Chris Bainbridge -
Unfortunately that's not how the law works (at least, in the USA). Microsoft's customers can get sued for patent infringement, but MS provides indemnification for end-users. If fact, when MS lost the Eolas activex case and rolled out an auto-update fix they made it clear to corporate customers that if they didn't apply the patch they wouldn't be indemnified against patent claims by Eolas.
In reply to Chris Bainbridge

by Michael Penney -
"indeminfied" yes, but has there been any analysis of how much it cost MS customers to roll out the patch and re-write their web pages and applications to work with the new way of handling object code?

It might have saved everyone a good deal of money to have settled with Eolas rather than having to recode.

On the other hand, perhaps Eolas v. MS is a good example of what might happen with BB vs. D2L, it becomes clear whether BB can patent the entire industry of online learning, or just a specific architectural/engineering method for delivering large scale elearning applications.

INAL, but I suspect it will be the latter, and perhaps folks who are using J2EE/.NET style application erver/servlet applications will have to pay, while folks using Apache module 'shared nothing' script based applications will be ok. Of course MS might want to chime in on whether .NET applications can be used in education, as might Sun.

In my guess this case will come down to whether D2L uses a similar application architecture to BB's to achieve scalability. If on the other hand the entire field of online learning is given to BB, that has very broad implications: for instance if a teacher sets up a Yahoo group and adds his/her students as members, who gets sued, the school? The teacher? Does Yahoo have to make sure that no teachers are using their groups for classes? Does MySpace? Google? If you set up and Apple server and give your teachers write privileges to their directories, is that a conflict?

Hopefully D2L will bring in some folks who can explain these complex issues to the jury, and get the patent's limits defined more carefully.
In reply to Michael Penney

OTP: Re: Blackboard Patents

by Ray Lawrence -
To Michael (or anyone else more hip or knowledgeable than I),

INAL

What's this mean?

TIA smile

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

Re: OTP: Re: Blackboard Patents

by Dale Jones -
No claims for hipness or greater knowledge, but "I'm not a lawyer" sprang to mind. 

And success!  I was right.

Didn't know it was so well-used to warrant an ETLA though.  We live and learn.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm Not A Lawyer. Sometimes written as I Am Not A Lawyer, but then it starts to look a bit like I ANAL smile
Marcus
In reply to Marcus Green

by Ray Lawrence -
Ah, yes. Obvious now you mention it.

Thanks both.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Marcus Green -
Ray, you must join the hep cats like me who read Slashdot where I learn these abbreviations and spend hours reading utter drivel from socially mal adjusted geeks who live at home and think that the USA is the whole world smile

One of the comments in the current Moodle story is that to avoid this patent Moodle could "moove offshore", duh, like what shore? ROTFL, LOL, etc etc etc

by Chris Ainsworth -

Martin  - you raise an interesting point ....  that Patents only affect Developers.   One other issue that people have not addressed is the fact of IP.  If any of the people cited in the original Patent Document have moved on and still engaged in the industry, it raises issues on IP ownership. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

A couple of simple and effective approaches.  Concentrate of the Institutions that are using Blackboard and demonstrate the stifling affect this Patent will have on their learning environments (having to follow one pathway and solution) and their longer term abilities to promote innovative learning within their institutions. Influence the bean counters of the institutions that a good slice of their licence fees are to fund legal action against flexible learning innovation - the very core of education.

I appreciate it is a simplistic view in the initial stages, but many in the hierarchy need view it in broad simplistic terms understand the implied impact. Then we can get into the complexities.

One question for MD …..  has Bd copied any of your development IP in the enhancements of their program that has crept its way into the patent ….  Or for that matter any one else’s?

Food for thought

In reply to John Rodgers

by N Hansen -
Of course not John, did you read this at the bottom of the page?:

Any statements in this press release about future expectations, plans and prospects for Blackboard and other statements containing the words "believes," "anticipates," "plans," "expects," "will," and similar expressions, constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including the factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of our most recent 10-K filed with the SEC. In addition, the forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of May 10, 2005. The Company anticipates that subsequent events and developments will cause the Company's views to change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to May 10, 2005.
In reply to N Hansen

by John Rodgers -
lol

I thought that was the standard disclaimer gobble-dee-gook in the "about Blackboard Section" meant to be attatched to anything that could resemble a financial projection. (I'm in the middle of reading about the Enron meltdown).

It would be interesting to know if it really is intended to undermine the content of anything media releases.

by Paulo Morin -
It seems if I have enough money and lawyers I can apply for a Patent of a "motor engine capable to transport people"... later, I can sue Toyota, Ford, GM...

by sandy britain -

What i disagree with quite strongly is Blackboard's claim to be a 'thought leader' in online learning technologies in their patent press release where in the reviews of VLE / LMS systems that Oleg Liber and I authored in 1999 and 2004 for JISC their approach in comparison to other systems around seemed to be anything but innovative - from a pedagogical standpoint at least. googling 'a framework for the pedagogical evaluation of vles' will find it for anyone who is interested

From our original report I seem to remember that a number of the web-based systems we looked at pre-dated blackboard. TopClass was one, I'm pretty sure that Virtual-U also did, along with FirstClass and others. Our own work on the 'Toolkit for the Management of Learning', later to become Colloquia dated from 1997. I'll add it to the online history..

In reply to sandy britain

by N Hansen -
Since when has it been possible to patent thought? thoughtful
In reply to sandy britain

by Leonard Low -
Blackboard clearly did not invent the systems they claim they did, and in doing so they clearly breach their own company Code of Ethics (http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/17/177018/CodeofBusinessConductandEthics.pdf), which states:

"Honest and Ethical Conduct and Fair Dealing
--------------------------------------------
Employees, officers and directors should endeavor to deal honestly, ethically and fairly with the Company’s suppliers, customers,  competitors and employees. Statements regarding the Company’s products and services must not be untrue, misleading, deceptive or fraudulent. You must not take unfair advantage of anyone through manipulation, concealment, abuse of privileged information, misrepresentation of material facts or any other unfair-dealing practice."

* Endeavour to deal honestly, ethically and fairly
* Statements regarding the Company's products should not be untrue
* You must not take unfair advantage of anyone through manipulation, concealment, or misrepresentation of material facts
* Or any other unfair-dealing practice

I would have thought these simple guidelines would not be so difficult for Blackboard's directors to comply with.
In reply to Leonard Low

by John Rodgers -
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Marx (Groucho)

Re: Blackboard Patents -- link to file and analysis

by Martín Langhoff -
I am reading the PDF scan of the suit here http://www.theinquirer.net/images/articles/blackboard.pdf

Also reading up a bit on US patent law, and checking with people who work in IP law, but it seems to me that under US law you can only ask for royalties from the date the patent was granted. It is not retroactive to the date of filing, unless you meet a relatively high standard. As my lexis-nexis acct expired a while ago (sigh), I have to refer to Wikipedia which says

"In U.S. law, no infringement action may be started until the patent is issued. However, pre-grant protection is available in the U.S. In the U.S., 35 USC 154(d) allows for a patent applicant to obtain a reasonable royalty for infringing activities before a patent is granted. This right to obtain provisional damages requires a patent holder to show that the infringing activities occurred after the publication of the patent application 18 months from filing, that the published application is substantially identical to the eventually granted patent, and that the infringer has "notice" of the published patent application."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_infringement#United_States

So I don't think they can ask for royalties them back to 1999. The bad news is that they can still claim control over the patent going forward. We need to get the prior art well documented...

by Don Schwartz -
I took a course at ZDnet University back in 1997.  5 weeks, instructor led with chats and forums all about building an online community.  Got a certificate too.

I've added this to the Wikipedia
In reply to Don Schwartz

by N Hansen -
I found interesting these remarks here:

...perhaps this agressive move by Blackboard could in the end hasten the development as well as increase the importance of the next generation of learning management systems. One could even speculate if this will cause the many open source systems, such as Moodle to evolve even faster. Perhaps this will direct more attention to the much discussed personal learning environment and social systems like ELGG?

In reading over the text of the patent, and noting its big emphasis on predetermined and predefined teacher-student roles and the interaction between those two, it seems to me that the new roles system in Moodle will make Moodle quite a different system fundamentally from what Blackboard has patented. Even the fact that Moodle already has editing teachers and non-editing teachers, and the fact that a student in one course can be a teacher in another makes it different from the basic patent description already.

Also, in their first claim they say each user is associated with a particular computer. I think that is going to be impossible to defend as what about a bunch of students accessing Moodle from a computer lab with shared computers? Or what about a student who accesses it from more than one computer? Even Blackboard doesn't work the way they describe it.

Re: Blackboard Patents..Positive Plan?

by Michael Burke -
I see that there is a wealth of "prior art" cited just on this forum.

Now, if one of the forum members was a lawyer who could put these citations into an amicus curiae brief (or dozens of them, for that matter), then maybe we could make Blackboard pay for their arrogance. Surely no claim in the patent is so bulletproof as to withstand the shelling this community alone could deliver?

I mention it because I've seen too many cases where people start off a barrage of sniveling "Ain't it awful!" and then never take any action to correct the injustice being observed.

Furthermore, I strongly suggest an action campaign to influence Blackboard's current University customers to change to a competing product, citing all the deficiencies of the product and exposing their weakness as a third-rate product in need of legal trickery to maintain competetiveness. I bet that would get their attention! Today's "users" are tomorrows "administrators" and it would be counter-productive to cause long term resentments in the people who may be responsible for buying their product someday.
In reply to Michael Burke

by N Hansen -
Well, I'm not so sure I would call your approach a totally positive one. And reminding people that Blackboard is suing their competitors may just cause the people buying the products to take a wait and see approach until the lawsuit pans out.

Rather than focus on Blackboard's "weaknesses" (there's got to be a reason the universities are using Blackboard to begin with so we can't assume that these things are weakensses), one should focus on the strengths that set Moodle apart and especially those that make it different from the patent description of Blackboard. The new roles system being one that is immediately apparent, and I  am sure there are more that can be found.
In reply to N Hansen

by Steve Hyndman -

And reminding people that Blackboard is suing their competitors may just cause the people buying the products to take a wait and see approach until the lawsuit pans out.

Good point...I had this exact discussion today with a university leader...university leaders are taking notice of this and it would be foolish of anyone in this business to just blow it off and not worry about it.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out, but I think there is the potential for this to be more serious than many believe. Patents and Trademarks are good things...until you become the victim of one smile

On a side note...I started teaching online classes in the mid 90s with a very large online university...the University of Phoenix Online Campus. We used "Convene" a very basic LMS (I think the university started using it in about 1990) and later (around 1998) switched to Outlook Express Newsgroups. There is plenty of "prior art".....online learning was happening long before Blackboard...whether that will matter or not remains to be seen.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Martin Dougiamas -
Patents and trademarks are completely different things, Steve.

Trademarks are names. Everyone would agree that Blackboard can use that name for their products and have protection.

Patents are supposed to be for specific creations/inventions, which is fine. The trouble is that software patents are actually locking down generic IDEAS and PROCESSES. And in this case the ideas are not even slightly original.
In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Peter Campbell -
I doubt rather seriously that D2L will acquire any new business while the Bb lawsuit is hanging over their heads. The question for D2L is, can they make it without acquiring any new business? If I were Bb, I'd draw out the lawsuit as long as possible and keep the cloud of doubt hanging over the competition. The most urgent question for D2L is, can they maintain existing business with the lawsuit going on?

What CIO in his/her right mind is going to bet on the future of any of Bb's competitors? Or, to put it another way, if your CIO walked up to you tomorrow and said, "Guess what gang? We're dropping Bb and going with D2L." How would you react? Sure, D2L *might* make it. They might. But they might not. But is that a risk that your institution is willing to take? And compared to Bb, who has the greater likelihood of survival?

While no CIO in his/her right mind will jump ship from Bb to D2L, it's very feasible to see CIO's jumping ship from D2L to Bb. After all, if you are betting on D2L making it and it looks like they might not, you'd be irresponsible as a CIO not to do something proactive.

I agree with someone else (can't remember who) who said that Moodle and Sakai are probably safe from Bb. Bb needs them to justify its claim that it is not a monopoly.
In reply to Peter Campbell

by James Phillips -
Going with Bb in their current financial state is a MUCH greater risk than going with an alternative. 

by Marcus Green -

The Blackboard patent is under discsussion at Slashdot, see
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/02/1217219

I wonder how long before it descends into a discussion on the virtues of Gun ownership smile
In reply to Marcus Green

by dave cormier -
The international scope of this is quite shocking. I had no idea. Here is the patent application for canada

http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/details?patent_number=2535407&language=EN

and this from blackboard's FAQ

What other countries are covered by the patent?
Patents corresponding to the U.S. patent have been issued or are pending all over the world including in the European Union, China, Japan, Canada, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand India, Israel, Mexico, South Korea, Hong Kong and Brazil.

We're having a community forum session on edtechtalk this weekend. All moodlers are, of course, welcome.
In reply to dave cormier

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Patents corresponding to the U.S. patent have been issued or are pending all over the world including in the European Union

Well, they are pending and they will be for a while in the European Union, as software patents are not legal in the EU.

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by N Hansen -
I've been wondering why Blackboard went after D2L in particular. In poking about on the internet, I've got a theory. If you google D2L and Blackboard, you will notice that an awful lot of universities are switching from Blackboard to D2L lately, probably more than are even switching to Moodle. Blackboard probably also realizes that a lot of D2L customers are the kind that potentially could be Blackboard customers instead. Many Moodle customers, even if Moodle did not exist, would not switch to Blackboard simply because it is out of the price range of many of the Moodle users, it doesn't support their language, etc.

And since they both are operating on the same business model and aiming at the same sort of customers, it isn't a stretch to think that D2L did try and make themselves into an alternative version of Blackboard in order to get its customers. If you look at this comparison of the two they sound awfully similar:

http://www.edutools.org/compare.jsp?pj=8&i=279,298
In reply to N Hansen

by Richard Treves -
"But Mr. Small [Bb]said fears like those expressed by Mr. Schilling [director of information technology at Amherst College] were overblown. It would make no sense for Blackboard to go after open-source programs like Moodle and Sakai, he said, because they are not commercial providers."

from Higher Education Chronical
available for free for 5 days from publication then by subscription only

Rich

by Greg Lund-Chaix -
Thank you very much for posting that Chronicle link, Rich.  I find a quote down at the very end of the article quite interesting:
However, he [Blackboard VP Small] also said that had Blackboard not merged with WebCT, then WebCT would have been infringing the patent.
That suggests to me that Moodle, Sakai, UCompass, Angel and all the other course management systems are at risk.  No, Blackboard isn't likely to sue schools and universities (after all they are all potential customers) but you can bet they'll play the, "You know, if you go to market with XXXX product you will be violating our patent" threat to the hilt against anyone who produces course management software (anyone who might take a customer away from them) including Moodle Pty Ltd and the Sakai Foundation.
In reply to Greg Lund-Chaix

by Art Lader -
That is likely to work in my school district.

-- Art
In reply to N Hansen

by Martin Dougiamas -
The MiCTA consortium is one example recently where Blackboard lost a lot of potential business to Desire2Learn.

In reply to N Hansen

by Don McIntosh -

Clearly they went after Desire2Learn because it is Bb's next biggest commercial competitor after WebCT which it bought last year.  It would be harder to sue the open source systems like Moodle (Who would you sue - Martin?).

This discussion has focused on learning management systems in the education area.  There are also at least 100 LMS competitors in the corporate sector - Saba, SumTotal Systems, Plateau, Training Partner, GeoLearning, Learn.com, etc., etc.  The first four of these also existed prior to 1997 (when Blackboard started).  SumTotal Systems was previously known as Click2Learn and, before that Asymetrix - makers of ToolBook and founded by Paul Allen in 1984.

The way I read the patent, Blackboard could also go up against all of these people.  This is indeed scary and we should support Desire2Learn (a smaller but good Canadian company).  At http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=31833 you can read the story of a New Zealand actor who convinced the patent office to re-examine Amazon's "one-click" patent (which, I believe, was among the first patents for an idea).  He claims that a previous patent was issued for essentially the same thing.  If anyone received a patent or submitted a patent application prior to 1999 we would have a case.  Is that likely?

Don.

Blackboard Patents in Australia

by Leonard Low -
Looks like Blackboard are very active indeed in Australia:

http://blackfate.edublogs.org/2006/08/02/blackboard-patents-in-australia/

"...a search for the applicant “Blackboard” revealed that 5 of Blackboard’s 30 patents granted and pending are lodged in Australia. These are titled:
  • Internet-based education support system and method with multi-language capability (22May03)
  • Internet-based education support system, method and medium providing security attributes in modular, extensible components (19Aug03)
  • Internet-based education support system, method and medium with modular text-editing component for use in a web-based application (19Aug03)
  • Content system and associated methods (13Aug04)
  • Internet-based education support system and methods (28Jul05)

The patents cover other e-learning technologies and specifications other than the 44 claimed in Blackboard’s first patent to be granted in the United States. It appears that they could potentially be claiming to have invented Learning Objects, multi-language LMS, embedded HTML text editors, as well as the original claims of many core functions of LMS systems."

We need to set up a website for registering support against Blackboard and collaborating internationally to take down these claims.  As a safeguard, we should also patent the idea of a web application being used as a means of organising and facilitating international social action and collaboration. ;)

To place prior art on file with IP Australia, check out this blog post: http://blackfate.edublogs.org/2006/08/02/informing-ip-australia-of-prior-art/

In reply to Leonard Low

Re: Blackboard Patents in Australia

by Timothy Takemoto -
I am glad to see that this is being discussed.

That is a good idea Leonard - rarther than wait for Blackboard to taken patent legislation against others, it would be a good idea to send prior art to patent offices. If a patent might be overturned or not granted, then it would be a considerable confidence booster.

Do you know the procedure for filing prior art in Japan, Jamie James Philips?

Where is the mother of all prior art wikis? I think that it would be a good idea if it were very prominently advertised on the Moodle site - As The History of Online Education - and I guess public (wikipedia).

I don't think that Blackboard will be able to patent the concept of online education, but it is in the nitty gritty that Blackboard will genuinely have made innovations and patented them. E.g. Someone mentioned the use of drop down menus to change languages (I guess that his is the same as  the multi-language capability above).  Each of these patents and the prior art relating to them needs to be considered in turn.

There have been posts by moodlers asking for Blackboard features and some of them . I guess that reallly truly there are some features in Moodle that are inspired by Blackboard.

But also there is a lot more innovation going on here at Moodle than there can be a Blackboard, due to the size and energy of the community. There must be loads of innovations that really truly took place here, that in the future Blackboard and its competitors will not be able to do without.  E.g. autoenroll into groups using student passwords and many many more. Do these count for anything. When Blackboard comes and points out one of the minor innovations of blackboard that may be being used at Moodle, will it be possible to point to the many innovations that occured at Moodle that Blackboard will want to use, and ask them to get the plank out of their own eye?
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Jason Cole -
I would be careful about submitting prior art directly to the USPTO without consulting an attorney. If you send in prior art which does not have every claim int the patent, it won't overturn the patent. You would still be able to use the evidence in court, but it would have less weight as the court will consider the fact that the USPTO is now aware of the evidence and decided it did not invalidate the claim. (I am not a lawyer, but I have consulted one).
In reply to Leonard Low

by Martin Dougiamas -
> We need to set up a website for registering support against Blackboard and collaborating internationally to take down these claims.

That exact site is being set up, should be announced soon.

by Roger Emery -
Which is the wiser choice?
Squaring up the Bb with that sort of site and admitting they have a case, or do you turn and walk away because they don't?
Bb has certainly stirred up some panic in the community - I bet as Bb read this they are having a good giggle, like a child poking a stick in an ants nest.
In reply to Roger Emery

by Art Lader -

Well, I always recommend hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Seems like that might be a good policy in this case, too.

If it proves necessary to do so, I will contribute whatever money I can afford to this noble cause. And I will certainly contact the appropriate politicians to help educate them about this issue. That's about all I can do, I guess. (Of course, I am open to suggestions.)

-- Art

In reply to Roger Emery

by Leonard Low -
Hi Roger,

I don't think that creating a site to rebuff Blackboard's claims is at all admitting they have a case.  However, Blackboard have seen fit to throw the book at Desire2Learn, and the only way to defend that company, and any others Blackboard decide to sue, is to act in a methodical, organised fashion to construct a legal case and an international support network.

Walking away will only leave each respondent isolated against Blackboard's corporate largesse, with Blackboard accumulating damages from each successive victim to sue the next.

Organising a collaborative website and planning to strategically and methodically have Blackboard's claims dismissed, and their ethics shunned, is the farthest thing possible from panic.  Panic is to run and hide in the sand; an organised defence will make Blackboard think carefully about wielding their patents or claiming further inventions they did not truly make.
In reply to Roger Emery

by Tony Hursh -
I don't think they're giggling all that much.

It's interesting that Blackboard insiders have dumped over 4 million shares of the company in the past twelve months, while purchasing a mere 2,500 shares. These don't exactly seem like the actions of a management team that has a high degree of confidence in the long-term profitability of their company.

Bb also had a negative cash flow of $2 million last year, and their net income went from $23 million in Q4 2005 to only $148,000 in Q1 2006 (no, there aren't any missing zeros in that number). They're also predicting a $6.1 to 7.8 million loss for the second quarter, and a $12.7 to $13.7 million loss for 2006 as a whole. They're attributing much of that to "non-recurring integration costs" (presumably arising from the WebCT buyout?), but still....

It's pretty amusing that they're carrying $10 million in "goodwill" on their balance sheet as a long-term asset. I'd bet that "asset" has not only vanished, but actually gone negative this week. smile

We may be seeing an attempt to stop their stock from cratering after they announce their Q2 (non)income next week (August 8). If so, I think they've made a serious blunder. Almost all the publicity I've seen is negative; causing your customers to hate your guts is rarely a sound business strategy.
In reply to Roger Emery

by Robert Garza -

These are always very tough situations but I would take a defensive and offensive strategy.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Defensive:  If Moodle happens to violate Blackboards patent then position it where is doesn’t.  For instance, if Moodle (core) was simply a collaboration platform that third-party people made add-on modules and blocks that together created a LMS-like product.  Then neither Moodle or any individual add-ons violate the patent.  This idea might be a long-shot but it seems right to me.  People who wanted an CMS/LMS/VLE would have to build it themselves or someone would create a script that would gather these remote modules and combine them.  I think this would work if Moodle (by different add-ons) could become something else like just a blog site, or a wiki site or just a SCORM testing tool.  Blackboard would have to sue a whole group of people whose unique combination of products happen to create a LMS-like application. 

Offensive:  What if one of the third-party add-ons converted a Desire2Learn course to a compatible format which could be used by a Moodle-like product.  As Blackboard sues others more conversion modules appear.

Rob

In reply to Roger Emery

by James Phillips -
You are way off the mark there Roger. I suspect that having a good giggle will be the last thing they will be doing. Making such a site is not admitting they have a case, it is exactly the opposite. They would laugh quite a lot though if people just turned and walked away though. Judges can make some very strange decisions sometimes, especially with regards to technology they sometimes appear to barely understand. Increasing the chances that they will lose to as great an extent as possible is a very sensible thing to do. This is a very risky move by Bb and if they were successful it would set an extremely unfortunate and troublesome precedent. Everybody must work together to make sure that doesn't happen. The actions by Bb are not the actions of a confident company, more like the final dangerous lunges of a cornered man that may be in some difficulty. And judging by the number of attendees at their stand at the last e-learning exhibition I went to, they could well be experiencing some serious problems. 
In reply to James Phillips

by Roger Emery -
I agree, hence adding to the prior art time lines etc
 Apologies for the earlier thinking aloud error blush.

In reply to Leonard Low

by David Rowsell -

The wording of Blackboard's patent applications is very interesting - not so much perhaps in what they are claiming technologically but in how they describe and identify learning. Notice, for example, how they talk about Blackboard as a learning "support" system. Do they have some idea of protecting the Blackboard VLE as a blended learning delivery system? If a system "supports" learning, where is the core learning taking place?

If you look closely at the text of their patent application there is continual reference to their VLE and its tools as means of "instruction". (It's impossible to describe tools and facilities without implying a learning theory and its pratices.) This instructional emphasis by Blackboard is something we have been aware of for years - particularly in the UK. In many instances, in order to provide effective learning, we have to work around the obstacles presented by Blackboard structures.

Blackboard is inherently (and seems to have been designed and marketed as such) a content delivery and testing environment with an underlying knowledge delivery metaphor of learning. All of which mirrors somewhat dated conceptions of instruction that are, unfortunately, still fairly widespread - probably more so in the USA than elsewhere. However, the significant advances in elearning have all come about through a recognition and development of online learning communities, where peer-to-peer interaction and content creation are more important than how a teacher delivers knowledge or tests skills. To me, this is the gap in Blackboard's claims for a learning system. They continue to misunderstand the nature of learning in general and hence of elearning in particular.

by Mike Strong -
I've created a new page in Moodle Docs to document the patent infringement lawsuit, since it concerns us as well.  The page is called Blackboard v. Desire2Learn.  I am an inactive lawyer teaching chemistry now, using Moodle of course.  So I'm very interested in the progress and outcome of this (as are all of you, I'm sure wink).  It's a bold move by Blackboard - quite a gamble really, since, as everyone has pointed out, there's so much prior art that will help to invalidate the issued patents.  It's no secret that the USPTO has issued so many bad patents over the last 10 years.  To actually litigate on this bad patent is really something.

Cheers.

By the way, the word "Moodle" is not in Aspell dictionary here!  That might be taking IP rights to a new level!

Blackboard has no plans to go after Moodle

by N Hansen -
How did everyone miss this? From the Chronicle of Higher Education:

"But Mr. Small [senior vice president and general counsel of Blackboard] said fears like those expressed by Mr. Schilling were overblown. It would make no sense for Blackboard to go after open-source programs like Moodle and Sakai, he said, because they are not commercial providers."

If that is true, it confirms my theory that they wouldn't go after Moodle because it simply is a totally different business model. Clearly they decided to go after the threat that resembled them the most, rather than a less well-funded small fish that would be easy to battle.
In reply to N Hansen

Re: Blackboard has no plans to go after Moodle

by Ray Lawrence -
This has been discsussed on the JISC VLE list. Here's my response on this from that list:

"It would make no sense for Blackboard to go after open-source programs like Moodle and Sakai, he said, because they are not commercial providers"

This approach makes sense for Blackboard, as to "go after" Moodle or other OS alternatives would be detrimental (I suspect and hope).

However, having secured this patent it would be naive not to expect Blackboard to parade it in marketing material and sales presentations, placing the prospect of future litigation firmly in the minds of decision makers. The entire situation is an ideal opportunity to spread FUD.

As someone has suggested earlier (in the JISC VLE discussion), one always expects commercial entities to protect and further their market presence and profits. However, given what is at stake for education globally the whole affair is quite unsavoury.

No matter what the facts of the matter may be I would hope that the question posed in any (of the many) discussions on this topic in future will be "Do you want to do business with people like this?"

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by N Hansen -
Or how about putting it this way?:

Do you want to do business with a company that puts its earnings back into further improving its product (like Moodle) or a company that puts its earnings into destroying its competition (Like BB)?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Martín Langhoff -
Well, we definitely want to spoil their patent anyway, to close their options. If the SCO case teaches us anything, is that exit strategies can be quite disruptive. sad

And to tell you the truth, I want Moodle (and FOSS) to win on merits. I don't want the patent to kill proprietary LMSs either... if that was possible at all! If the patent "works" against some LMSs, it'll work against Moodle, the license doesn't make a difference.

And at the end of the day, I want to work in a space full of new ideas, not of monopolies on the obvious...
In reply to N Hansen

by Robert Garza -

hmmmmmm......

So is anyone working on a Desire2Learn to Moodle Conversion Module???

As long as Bb is not after Moodle.  Moodle might be the only one to offer soon-to-be ex-D2L users a safe harbor. 

-- Rob

In reply to Robert Garza

by Tom Murdock -
That's a grim idea, Rob.

Let's help D2L.

-Tom
In reply to Robert Garza

by Martín Langhoff -
I would rather help D2L defeat the patent.

> As long as Bb is not after Moodle.

That's wishful thinking. Bullies try first with the weak ones. Join the bully? Nah. Show your fiber and fight the bully! big grin
In reply to N Hansen

by Martin Dougiamas -
It doesn't change anything simply because of the FUD factor. I'm already being hit by lots of queries from people who are unnecessarily worried.

The education community needs to stand together on issues like this and send a very clear opposing message.

by Matt Crosslin -
"The education community needs to stand together on issues like this and send a very clear opposing message."

And, I think we need to get this message out into as many media outlets as possible - online and traditional.  If anyone has the connections to get articles written in newspapers, magazines, etc - that would help spread the word.

Someone also might consider releasing a press release about this.  Not someone who actually works for any LMS (lest they incur the wrath of Blackboard next), but if some connected company or even some group of companies and organizations would band together and release a statement, that could help get the message out more.

"People Against the Unethical Treatment of LMS Developers"

"International Consortitum for Freedom in Online Learning"

Ummmm... I guess none of these have a very catchy anacronym....

by N Hansen -
People Outraged Over the Destruction of Learning Environments would work.

by elearning edu -

From India - By a leading daily from Mumbai - Times of India

Patent may snip India’s e-learning hopes

Mumbai: While it is true that the market for online education in India is
barely Rs 500 crore, it is also true that the space is growing rapidly. But
more importantly, Indian companies are hoping to grab a share of the global
business expected to be valued at $21 billion by 2008. But even before it
takes off, the business may have hit a huge road block.

Washington-based Blackboard, has been granted a patent for technology used
to deliver internet-based education and support. The patent is already
applicable in the US, New Zealand, Australia and Singapore. Its sweep spans
every little bit of online education including processes like how courses
are offered and managed. The patent is now pending in other countries
including India.

Signalling what it intends to do with the patent, on the day it was
awarded, Blackboard sued Canadian company Desire2Learn, its main competitor
in the market that caters to American students.

Even as lawyers at the Delhi-based NIIT are studying the fine print of
Blackboard’s patent, industry experts say Indian companies enrolling
USbased students for their e-learning programmes need to watch out. Any
infringement of Blackboard’s patent may invite a law suit running into
hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Says Samudra Sen, CEO of Mumbai-based LearningMate Solutions, which
works with leading e-learning companies globally, “The patent is certainly
going to be an irritant.’’

Founded in 1997, Blackboard filed its patent request in June 2000, when
e-learning systems were already in use for many years. The company’s patent
encompasses many commonly used methods that companies and universities have
used to deliver their courses to students.

Says a private equity investor, who funded online education companies,
“The patent is so generic, it is not funny. It covers everything that a lay
person will know about e-learning. I don’t think it will stand scrutiny.’’

Yet, it is the all encompassing patent that worries the industry. In the
past, despite computer programs being obvious and known for many years
before patent application, courts have upheld the patents.

Cadtrak, a company which owns a patent involving a cursor on the screen,
collects million of dollars from large computer manufacturers for using its
technique.

The courts upheld the patent twice though the technique as used at least
five years before the patent application. UK patents covering customary
graphics techniques, including airbrushing, stencilling, and combination of
two images under control of a third one, were recently upheld in court,
despite the testimony of the pioneers of the field that they had developed
these techniques years before.

In the software industry, nothing protects programmers from accidentally
using a technique that is patented, and then being sued for it.

At first blush though, Indian companies don’t seem worried yet. They
feel the patent can cover only specific systems and there are many avenues
to deliver e-learning without infringing on Blackboard’s patents.

For example, popular exams like GRE and GMAT have been administered on a
client-server based platform for many years. These tests follow a unique
system of adaptive questioning, where the system increases or decreases the
difficulty of the next question based on the answer to the previous one.
Since Blackboard’s patent is specific to its methods, the patent won’t
affect these popular tests.

Says Vijay Thadani, CEO of Delhi-based NIIT, “Internet technology is
vast and evolving. There are numerous ways to deliver courses online and
assess students. I don’t think we will worry very much about this patent.’’

But the patent has already created a buzz in the e-learning space. Many
reckon this could be the defining make or break moment for online learning
companies.

PATENT TROUBLE

US-based Blackboard gets a patent for net-based learning management systems
in the US, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore
Patents pending with EU, China, India, Israel and few other countries

The patent covers an extensive list of 44 processes including common ones
like registration, online assessments and grade book
Schools can get into trouble for undertaking simple networking tools, user
authentication process and other commonly used functions like discussion
boards as a result of the patent

Online learning companies in India still not worried by the patent, saying
it is too generic and will not stand the test in court

Nagarajan

by Matt Crosslin -
Hey - I've been to Mumbai.  My wife is half-Indian, so we like to travel (when we can).  We had a great time there.  Glad to see that this battle is gaining international momentum.

by Himmat Singh -
I don't think open source will suffer much from BB's action and possible worst-case fallout. More to worry for commercial providers and developers. No?
In reply to Himmat Singh

by Dan Stowell -
I disagree. See for example this article arguing (plausibly, for me) that patent action like this can stifle a whole field of innovation.

by elearning edu -

International Community to Combat unethical elearning business practices

Nagarajan 

In reply to N Hansen

by Richard Treves -
N. Hansen writes:
How did everyone miss this?

erm, my posting, this thread 2 August 2006, 11:59 PM?
In reply to N Hansen

by dave cormier -
The problem with any of the press releases from blackboard is the disclaimer....

" Any statements in this press release about future expectations, plans and prospects for Blackboard and other statements containing the words "believes," "anticipates," "plans," "expects," "will," and similar expressions, constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including the factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of our Annual Report on Form 10-Q filed on May 10, 2006 with the SEC. In addition, the forward-looking statements included in this press release represent the Company's views as of July 26, 2006. The Company anticipates that subsequent events and developments will cause the Company's views to change. However, while the Company may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These forward-looking statements should not be relied upon as representing the Company's views as of any date subsequent to July 26, 2006."
http://blackboard.com/company/press/release.aspx?id=887622

Them saying that they will not go at moodle now does not preclude them from doing it in the future. I've heard back from Bb and they are going to 'try' to send someone our edtechtalk conference this weekend. I really want to ask them for confirmation on this...

Re: Blackboard Patents - What about SCORM?

by Rene Folse -
Okay, read the BB patent which as others have said, covers just about everything you can do in online learning. Then, consider that the wording of this patent would no doubt cover SCORM technology which was created by the U.S. Department of Defense. So, this means that perhaps all the ADL folks need to pipe into the battle.  Everyone in any aspect of online learning is a present or future target.  Is the U.S. DOD going to shut down all their military SCORM systems now?  I don't think Bush will agree to that.  
In reply to Rene Folse

by Timothy Takemoto -
So what needs to be done? 
Can the tasks of helping desire2learn and moodle, be broken down into small bits?
Other than research into prior art, are there other tasks such as
        donating 
        lobbying
        investigating legal precident?
The site were this will take place will be announced in a moodle news email soonish? Or here?
Tim

by Leonard Low -
I found an information page on this wiki:
http://blackfate.wikispaces.com/How+to+Help
In reply to Leonard Low

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks Leonard.

I posted a couple of early Japanese online education book titles (with concrete examples in 1999 and 2000) to the wiki and have contacted a couple of experts in online education in Japan to ask them if they know of any early online education systems. I also contacted the maker of "quiztest" the testing system I used before I started using Moodle.
http://www.tesol.net/scripts/QuizTest/

However, my guess is that it will not be sufficient that a teacher in 1985 told his students to go home and have a look at an internet quiz. Again I guess that there is going to be some definition of a learning/educatoin "system" or "environment", with certain components, perhaps
    Login
    grades in one area
    more than one type of resource/activity
Once we know what the definition is, then we can go and look for it.

Tim 

Re: Blackbard Patents - What about SCORM?

by Timothy Takemoto -
Having looked at the patent, it seems that they Blackb are concentrating on the admin (course creator) functionality, and the ability to add multiple resources/activities to multiple courses.

Things to do...
The idea that Blackboard is trying to patent is very similar to phpnuke and all the non-educational cms's. I am not sure what the essential difference is, especially since the patent does not seem to cover is a centralised graditing system. It does, however, mention tests (as well as chats and resources which would have been in any cms) and it does mention limiting access to the courses. So when did the nukes first have user authorisation (limited access to the Web site) and a test module? After that difference seems to be one of nomenclature. Who wants to contact all the old favourite CMS's?

I am not recommending "blog spamming" but perhaps it would be a good idea to make a habit of posting to educational blogs mentioning moodle or another LMS with links to the the wikipedia page and perhaps the discussions at the other major LMS. Or would that be fuddy duddy?

Where are the discussions corresponding to this at dokeos/claroline, atutor, manhattan virtual classroom and Sakai?