Using IIS instead of Apache

Using IIS instead of Apache

by Clint Rivest -
Number of replies: 13
HI all.
Ok, I'm sure the documentation is somewhere, but I can't find it.
I am trying to install moodle 1.54, but instead of using Apache, I want to use IIS 5 for a number of reasons. Mainly, I can't get the two to work together, and I need IIS for other Applications.
Anyway, I can't even get started on the installation. I have very little idea how to install moodle using IIS. I have transferred the files to the wwwroot folder of inetpub, but I still can not get to any kind of installation screen on the web browser. As well, I don't think php or mysql is working. On top of that, I frequently get a message saying "This virtual directory does not allow the content to be shown" when I type in localhost/moodle to try and install.
In other words, does someone here know how to install moodle on to a windows xp pro system with IIS 5?  It would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!! thoughtful
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clint Rivest

Re: Using IIS instead of Apache

by Thomas Haynes -
Clint...

Here is a howto for IIS6

Get the php working first in ISAPI mode. This howto will walk you through the steps.

The tough part for me was getting php going correctly. I have moodle installed on a test IIS6 machine, although we are running Linux in production for the time being. There is some local interest in migrating to a platform more familiar to the staff here.

Regards...   Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Clint Rivest -
Tom,
Thanks for getting back to me. Just a quick question though: Will it work for IIS 5? Or should I consider upgrading?
Clint
In reply to Clint Rivest

by Thomas Haynes -
Clint...

We have been agonizing about the migration to the Windows platform for a while, and I have sorted through the procedures a couple of times on Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 on various test machines. The energy for the migration is not mine, and I am the Moodle guy on the server end and the application end as well. The day will come when the energy is there, and I'll be ready.

I leave for a few days at the coast today after a meeting with the CFO, Academic Dean, IT Director, and Network Administrator. I may have a Moodle server project ahead of me when I get in the car for the long drive.

For me, these instructions are pretty good and walk you through the steps. I am pretty sure these will work fine for IIS5 too. Disclaimer - It has been a while since I last went through this with IIS5.

The key thing is to install in ISAPI mode or it won't scale. Use php 5.1.X

The only real gotchas are setting the path and locating php.ini

Get the phpinfo test page working first before you get things too complex.

Regards...   Tom
In reply to Clint Rivest

by Ken Wilson -

Hi Clint

I've been through the instructions Thomas refered to and have a more detailed set of instructions which also cover IIS tuning (which have been extracted from Microsoft documents). Although they are for IIS 6, there is little practical difference with IIS 5.

Le me know if you (or anyone else reading this) would like a copy.

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Clint Rivest -
Ken and everyone:
Thanks for the help!
I have been working through the steps in the document with no problems, but get caught on 1 thing: during step 3, it says to open the web service extensions from Internet Services Manager.  This is for the ISAPI thing. I don't have these. This may be because I am using XP Pro, not Windows server 2003. I can't seem to find either Internet Services manager or the web service extensions. I have checked the IIS, and can't find it. Do these have differnt names for XP Pro?
If anyone can help, that would be great!!!!
Clint
In reply to Clint Rivest

by Ken Wilson -

Clint

Check that IIS Manager is installed correctly. In XP Pro Internet Services Manager try Start, Control panel, Add/Remove Windows Components, IIS, Details button, Internet Information Services Snap-in.

You can run the program from the command line or from a menu (seach Microsoft for this).

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I find this whole discussion hair-raising sad

You have the comple LAMP stack at you disposal, well tested. Moodle developers prefer it too and you get the fastest and qualified support on the LAMP plattform. And the amazing thing is that everything is free!

Now I read stories like "agonizing about the migration to the Windows plattform", and try this, click here type of hints. I wonder whether the OP reached his target at all!

Why all this money and trouble? Don't tell me your manager had asked to to do so sad

by Matt Crawford -

Hi Thomas

I know this is an oldish thread but I was wondering if you could elaborate on the part of your text that read "The tough part for me was getting php going correctly."  I have installed PHP using the guide and now find that some PHP pages work and some don't.  For example, the test.php file works fine but other PHP files don't throw an error - they're simply displayed as a text file on the page.

Any help would be appreciated.

In reply to Matt Crawford

by Thomas Haynes -
Matt...

My guess is that you have enabled the php for a subdirectory and not for the default web site. This is puzzling though.

The php installation requires a few steps, and it is easy to have an error in the path (for example) that will have you scratching your head.

I made the migration from the Linux server to Server 2003 this summer, although it was in the two weeks before school began. There have been irritating little things to sort out, but performance has been good. The users have no clue because it is a web application. This is as it should be.

[This is really in response to Visvanath] The energy for the migration came from above. They pay me to make things work. The Server 2003 choice was not mine, but it is probably a good business decision. The staff is familiar with Windows, and I am the only Linux guy on campus.

I had puzzling php errors in the logs under load, and at the advice of Dan Marsden, I downgraded my php from 5.1.4 to 5.1.2. This got rid of the errors.

I had odd problems with restoring large courses and finally figured out that the antivirus was set to scan every read/write, and when I changed the settings to be a little less aggressive, I quit getting the errors.

Regards...   Tom

by Lael ... -

Hi Tom,

apologies - this is off topic for your response - but am having a few issues, and was wondering whether you have slasharguments working under IIS?  I'm trying to enable uploaded html sites with realtive links to work... apparently that requires slasharguments? and so far I haven't been able to get them to work under IIS5. Do you have any pointers?

Thanks a lot!

Lael 

In reply to Lael ...

by Thomas Haynes -
Lael...

They are working for me. I am using the second of the two options on variables page.

What version of php are you using? I seem to recall that that slasharguments on iis required php 4.3.11 or so and Moodle 1.5.X

Are you using php cgi or isapi mode? Perhaps this post will help.

Regards...   Tom

by Lael ... -

HI Tom,

Thanks for your help, at the moment I am using IIS 5, , and PHP 5.1.2-ISAPI, and Moodle 1.6...

the post that Petr Skoda made "add "cgi.fix_pathinfo=1" into your php.ini

I assume this would only work for cgi installs?

and to clarify - when you say you have the 2nd slasharguments option working, and that it required  php 4.3.11 or so and Moodle 1.5.X, Is this the configuration that you have it working under?

Thanks for your help!

Lael

In reply to Lael ...

by Thomas Haynes -

Lael...

I am running Windows Server 2003, IIS6, PHP 5.1.2 - ISAPI, Moodle 1.6.1+, and MySQL 5.0.24.

I know there was a point when the slashcode started working for IIS, and it was a function of PHP and Moodle version. I think you have these taken care of.

The php.ini change Petr suggested would be for cgi mode

If you think there is any benefit, I will send you my php.ini

Contact me off the forum if you are interested - haynest@culver.org

Regards...   Tom