Help Needed making New Resource Type - fixed dynamic link

Help Needed making New Resource Type - fixed dynamic link

by Roger Emery -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

My php is terrible, my asp slightly better, but I'm learning! Can someone help please?

I want to make some new resource types for the tutors to use that puts a links directly on the screen without them having to do more than use the drop-down menu to add it.
One example might be a dynmaic link to relevant library stored past exam papers such as:

http://ourlibraryserver/exampapers.asp?paper=moodlecousrecode

This will save the tutor from having to do the whole "link to file or website" thing and then find the module code and create the link themselves etc etc. They will just uses the resource drop down link, select "exam paper" and bingo the link appears on the screen in the course with the moodle course code appended.

If it ever works I can see this be very useful for other resources held on other systems such as reading lists, subject guides etc etc

Anyone already done something like this (I've searched quite a lot) - I've tried to modify the "link to file or website" resource type and just made quite a mess...

Roger

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Emery

Re: Help Needed making New Resource Type - fixed dynamic link

by Alison Pope -
Hi Roger,

This looks like a very interesting question.  We have done something similar but as a block, by adapting the Learning  Resource Block created by Alton College, to display links to Exam Papers, Reading Lists etc alongside each course.  So we probably won't be looking specifically at adding these links as resources within courses as we have decided to provide them in a different way.  However we are just about to start looking at how to make it easier for course creators to embed resources from elsewhere within their courses and we are thinking about library type resources here.  We will be looking in particular and integration between Moodle and our digital resources portal (Metalib).

So I don't know much about adding resources yet myself I am afraid but will follow any discussion your question has raised and if we do come up with any ideas as we progress further on this we will let you know!

Alison
In reply to Alison Pope

Re: Help Needed making New Resource Type - fixed dynamic link

by Roger Emery -

Thanks Alison.

I did look at making a block with a standard set of links in to exam papers, reading lists, subject guides, etc which are held on other systems, but this is a little to generic as not all teaching units have exams, for instance. We have a simlar self-developed block type thing in Learnwise at the moment which is fine, but again generic and not in context of the learning.

What I'm hoping to do is offer all these resources as seperate items on the resource drop-down list so the tutor can add them where relevant to the teaching as as often or as little as they want. For instance they might want to highlight the exam papers towards the end of the teaching period in context with revision.

I've got all the coding working for the dynamic links to the various systems, just need to work out how to make an item on the resource drop down list appear as a link on the page when selected, then replicate it for each resource - I'll let you know when I do smile

Roger