"Status: abandoned" when finished

"Status: abandoned" when finished

by Jesse Thorstad -
Number of replies: 5
Hello! I've just started toying with HotPot, and really love it!

I created a small Matching activity that I'm having trouble with. When the user finishes and clicks OK, it doesn't take them any where. (I have it set to take them back to the main Course page.)

If I look at the attempt as the teacher, it says it is "in progress". In a few moments, it will say "abandoned", although the score is there.

BTW, this is a timed activity, 1 minute in length.

Any ideas why it doesn't seem to show as "completed", and why the navigation doesn't take them back to the main course page?

Activity is here:
http://www.vsmn.org/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=121

Many thanks!

Jesse
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jesse Thorstad

Re: "Status: abandoned" when finished

by Jesse Thorstad -
I just uploaded a Cloze activity, and find that the same problem persists. And, I tried my old Crossword Puzzle that's been up for a week or so, and now that one does the same thing: when completing the quiz, after clicking Check, it doesn't go anywhere.

I see in the status bar of my browser, it seems to be thinking about going back to the main Course page, but then says "stopped". Hmmm...

If I check the scores, they show as In Progess, and in a few minutes show as Abandoned. However, the scores do get recorded.

I'm using Version 2006052200 of the HotPot module, and Moodle 1.5.4.

Jesse

by Jesse Thorstad -
OK, I've tested a bit more and found that this only happens with Firefox on Windows (I'm using Win2000). If I use IE, the quiz finishes OK, and I get taken back to the main Course page as expected.

In Firefox, the status bar indicates for a moment that it's trying to go somewhere, but then it quickly says "stopped".

I'll test it all out on my Mac with Firefox and Safari when I get home.

If anyone else would try the activities with Firefox on a PC and let me know what happens, that would be appreciated.

Jesse

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jesse,
Just tried out Virtual School » » Hot Potatoes Quizzes » A Matching activity in Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP. It works fine. I gave all right answers within the time limit, clicked the Check button, and got the message: score 100% and then was taken back to main Course page, just as expected.
However, on another attempt I was kicked out. On my last attempt (at 04:06 PM), the table of results shows 2 attempts, a) completed in 22 secs with 100% and - inexplicably, In progress!!!
Here is a copy of my attempts:
6 July 6 2006, 03:58 PM Completed 30 secs 100
7 July 6 2006, 03:59 PM Timed out 1 min 3 secs 60
8 July 6 2006, 04:01 PM Completed 21 secs 100
10 July 6 2006, 04:06 PM Completed 22 secs 100
12 July 6 2006, 04:06 PM In progress   0

Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jesse Thorstad -
Joseph,

Thank you for looking. I think I may have been the cause of your 2nd attempt, being kicked out, as I think I was logged in as student at the same time, testing again. Do you think that would cause yours to fail?

I've just tried on my Mac using both Firefox and Safari, and neither of those work. sad

The only browser that worked well for me today was IE on Win2000.

Jesse

by Jesse Thorstad -
Well, my unscientific analysis of this problem is this:

After clicking the Check button, a small window appears that gives your score. When clicking OK, the page mod/hotpot/attempt.php should be called.

attempt.php tells you that the quiz has been finished, and your score has been recorded.

This page appears when using IE (at least, for me). For some reason, when using Firefox, the browser attempts to call the page just very briefly, then the status bar in the browser says "stopped".

Could this be a setting in the browser?