Transfering WebCT courses into Moodle 1.5.3

Transfering WebCT courses into Moodle 1.5.3

by Nate Nate -
Number of replies: 5
What's the easiest way to do this transfer?  I was wondering if there are any plugins or tools to use to make this transfer seamless as possible.  I seen some articles and DT's about earlier versions of moodle but nothing more recent.  Any help would be appreicated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nate Nate

Re: Transfering WebCT courses into Moodle 1.5.3

by Eduardo Hernandez -

Nate,

When it comes to move a course from WebCT to Moodle I have seen three resources people want to move easily: content and its TOC, questions and quizzes. Other tools such as forums, chats tend not to be migrated as generally a forums starts from the scratch each semester.

I will depend on what you want to transfer. We have been migrating from WebCT to Moodle where content is being transfered using IMS CP. We run WebCT CE 4.1 and Moodle 1.6, and content is simply migrated from WebCT with an export function, and it is imported correctly into Moodle by using IMS Resource type. We tried Moodle 1.5.x IMS and things were also working ok.

If you need to move questions, you can use the export questions feature from WebCT and the import questions in WebCT format from Moodle.

Eduardo

In reply to Nate Nate

by Dan Stowell -
It depends on what version of WebCT you're using.

My WebCT importer works on data extracted from WebCT CE 4.0 and 4.1. It's untested on other versions (e.g. Vista or CE 6) and unlikely to work with them. However, for CE4, it works pretty well, copying across the vast majority of different item types.

My WebCT importer has just been updated to Moodle 1.6 though, and I'm afraid that due to some database changes the download bundle is for Moodle 1.6 only. If you want a 1.5.3-compatible version you can download an "old version" from CVS as follows:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle login
[just hit enter when asked for a password]
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle co -D 20060616 contrib/webctimport

By the way, there's a documentation page about WebCT importing which may help.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Matt Campbell -
I tried this out as a favor to another school on my test server with the Moodle 1.6 version.   Vista 4.0 packages worked, but Vista 3.0 did not.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Dan Stowell -
Thanks for the report - interesting to know, since I don't have access to Vista. I've made a note of your experiences on the wiki.
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Matthew Slowe -
Any idea how your friend got Vista 4 to export a course? The only mechanism I could see in CE6 (the smaller brother of Vista4) was to do a Backup, but that exports a propriatary format.

Thanks