In the new Roles enviroment this behaviour is a lot cleaner and easier to understand, otherwise we need quite a complicated GUI and backend to manage particular chosen roles.
If anyone has any serious objections to this let me know.
- I teach in a University, where the same course (or almost the same) can be delivered to different students, using groups.
- I use LDAP enrollment for courses (with dynamic LDAP groups) in order to minimize administrative tasks.
- What I've found simpliest after a year of Moodle usage is:
- to create a "social" course for each one of our diplomas,
- & to enroll each student to his (her) diploma via LDAP enrollment.
- The person in charge for managing this diploma is then named "teacher" for this social course, and can thus communicate easilly with the students,
- when then social course itself becomes one of the "subordinates" (as Moodle 1.6 calls it) of my own "true" courses.
What's not is, although I may personnaly appreciate him (or her), that I clearly do not want the diploma's head to become a "teacher" of my courses.
By the way, managing teachers is usually a very simple task as they are few (and somewhat stable), when using LDAP for students' enrollment is a necessity. I would rather have in 1.7 (or 1.8...) a feature to manage Moodle groups within the LDAP enrollment module.
Despite of this remark, thanks a lot for this splendid tool.
please excuse my poor english...
Like Yves, and for the same reasons, i don't think this is a good idea
I haven't yet seen what Roles and 1.7 dev looks like, can really imagine what this involve, but just say about logic and usability...
I would prefer that only students get enrolled to the course, but not the teachers, that can be different in differents courses, and could be added without serious difficulty, by hand.
we use metacourses a lot - the only thing we need is that teachers from child-courses are automaticaly STUDENTS in the metacourse.
The cosmetic problem that a student from a child-course can be teacher in the metacourse - and both roles are displayed - is from my point of view a little bit strange - but it works, except the display of the statistics.
I don't think that we can use metacourses any more when you change the behaviour in that way.