Downloading all language packs

Downloading all language packs

by Tim Williams -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers
Is there any way to download all of the language packs for as a single package ? Our Moodle has users worldwide and in many languages so I need to have the full set of language packs installed on our server, but since the Moodle 1.6 upgrade is no longer including the language packs, it looks like the only way to get the full set is to download all 63 moodle 1.6 language packs one by one, which is going to take forever.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Williams

Re: Downloading all language packs

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Tim,

You may check the whole lang directory out directly from CVS. Please see the Upgrading to Moodle 1.6 documentation for details.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tim Williams -
Thanks for the pointer, I hadn't seen the note in the docs. I went straight to the language pack download page, expecting to find all the relevant information there.

However, I would argue that a proper download of all language packs as a .zip or .tar.gz should be provided, not everybody is comfortable with CVS, or even able to use it.

Furthermore, am I right in thinking that from now on, the language packs will only be provided as seperate packages built directly from the CVS on a daily basis ? If that is the case then I am very worried, there really ought to be a set of stable language packs which are branched out of the CVS at the same time as each moodle point release.
In reply to Tim Williams

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Furthermore, am I right in thinking that from now on, the language packs will only be provided as seperate packages built directly from the CVS on a daily basis ? If that is the case then I am very worried, there really ought to be a set of stable language packs which are branched out of the CVS at the same time as each moodle point release.

Yes, the language packs are daily builds, like it has always been. That way, the additions or corrections made by translators are available the next day.
Most language packs are not complete and grow over time. With the daily build possibility, you can hit every now and then your update button and you are provided automaticaly with the latest additions. A language pack created with the build in Moodle editor is (or should be) free of bugs, so no worries necessary on that point.Since Moodle is open source, lots of people look at the code and translations and spot bugs quite soon.
The English language pack is frozen on release, since that language pack is guarantied complete.

It is true that installing all languaga packs without CVS asks for a lot of clicks, otherwise updating them later on is only one click wink

I hope this clarify's a few things
In reply to koen roggemans

by Tim Williams -
Finally got around to looking at this again....

What you describe makes me very worried, there ought to be a frozen set of language packs for all languages at the point of release, complete or otherwise with NO subsequent changes. Otherwise this makes a mockery of the idea of a stable point release for anything other than english.