Import PowerPoints in 1.6 works and some tips

Import PowerPoints in 1.6 works and some tips

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Documentation writers
I have played with PowerPoint (PPT) 2000 through PPT2003, with essentially the same presentation.  PPT has some sloppy code, GREAT JOB in doing Bill's work to bring it into Moodle.  Rewrote MoodleDoc's Import powerpoint and jumped up and down with some tips.   Basic message, keep the PowerPoint simple and it will work.

I did not think ImportPPT worked with PPT2003.   However, if Todd did not have trouble with a MAC running PPT2004, then I figured it was my interaction with Bill's 2003 that was the problem smile    I recreated and saved at least 10 versions of a 5 slide presentation always ending up in a web page folder and imported into my localhost Moodle as a zipfile.   Finally figured out what I needed format in my PPT to get consistant results when I brought it into a lesson.  

Here is something scary. I discovered that PPT does not always get rid of images, even when the page has been deleted.  I used a PPT that somebody else created and I dumbed it down, plus deleted pages.  I was looking at the web folder and noticed saved images that were like ghosts of presentations past that I have never seen before, including in the "original" PPT which was given to me.  So start a clean presentation and if you must, use PPT's import slides from another presentation tool to minimize surprises.      

Started this new thread primarily for Newbies, figured 58 entries in the previous thread was a lot for them to search through.  smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Import PowerPoints in 1.6 works and some tips

by David Scotson -
Retaining deleted content is fairly common in Microsoft Office formats, actually it's a 'feature' called _fast save_ which you can (thankfully) turn off.

There's some more about that on the wiki docs:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/PowerPoint#Reducing_file_size_for_the_web
In reply to David Scotson

Re: Import PowerPoints in 1.6 works and some tips

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Thanks David.

Yet another reason to say "Act like your mother is looking at everything you do on the computer".   Well it that works in some cultures,.....some families... yeah.  Bottom line to users, that stupid computer doesn't always know when to be stupid, it keeps things in hidden places. 

The unexpected image was some sort of bland background type image.  But it could have been something else culturall inappropriate.

Chris