The silliest question

The silliest question

by Janice Hall Tomasik -
Number of replies: 9
Hi,

I'm creating a page using the "Create a Text Page" feature in my moodle.  (I'm using Firefox browser, and Moodle 1.5.2)   I noticed that the HTML editor (with the nice tool buttons and everything) only works for the Summary portion of the page....I'd really like to know how to use it for the "Full text" portion.  (I need an easy way of inserting tables and everything in the full text area [the meat and potatoes of my page!]--I don't know anything about writing in HTML code, so I'd rather use the editor!)   I feel like this is a simple problem, like I'm missing something.  If anyone has a simple solution, please let me know!

Thanks as always, and happy Moodle-ing!
Janice

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Janice Hall Tomasik

Re: The silliest question

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Janice,

From what you describe, it sounds as though you need to choose "Compose a web page" from the Add a resource drop-down menu, rather than "Compose a text page". You will then be able to use the HTML editor in the full text portion.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: The silliest question

by Janice Hall Tomasik -
Aha!!!! Yes...that's exactly what I needed--I knew the question was silly and would have a simple answer blush  Imagine that, create a web page--silly me. Thanks for the help! 

Have fun,
Janice
In reply to Janice Hall Tomasik

Missing HTML editor when creating a text page

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Janice,

Maybe this is a misnomer, and the "Compose a web page" activity should be better named "Compose an HTML page", because that's just what it is.

Joseph

PS And please, on a discussion forum, remember to always give your posts an informative title, never a vague title such as "newbie question", "silly question", "help, please", etc.wink For instance, you might have called your Suject: "Missing HTML editor when creating a text page".

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Missing HTML editor when creating a text page

by Samuli Karevaara -
We removed the text page option completely, because, after all, HTML pages can contain just text also smile (plus the "text pages" in Moodle are shown as HTML anyway, the difference is just in the editing.)
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Very good idea, Samuli. approve May I ask how you removed the text page option? I can't see an Admin option for this.
Joseph

by Steve Hyndman -

Joseph and Samuli,

I did the same thing on my electronic portfolio site...in fact, since we didn't need them for our electronic portfolio, I even removed all the activities to make things "real simple" smile. There may be other ways to remove the text resource, but the way I did it is below.

1. delete the "text" directory from moodle/mod/resource/type and

2. open moodle/mod/resource/lib.php and near the bottom under the commented area for "///standard resource types" remove 'text' from the $standardresources array so it reads like below.

$standardresources = array('html','file','directory');

Moodle screenshot

by Samuli Karevaara -
Steve's method above removed this resource completely. I did a light version of this only, as we already had some text pages in our Moodle: just hid the option from the drop-down menu.

In course/lib.php, function print_section_add_menus() I changed
        foreach ($resourceraw as $type => $name) {
            $resources["resource&type=$type"] = $name;
        }
to
        foreach ($resourceraw as $type => $name) {
            if ($type != "text") {
                $resources["resource&type=$type"] = $name;
            }
        }