Grade of Unfinished Quiz Missing

Grade of Unfinished Quiz Missing

by Haruhiko Okumura -
Number of replies: 13
Recently I found that many students answered some questions but left the overall quiz unfinished. The Quiz Report shows the sums of grades of answered questions with the duration marked "Unfinished", but the Grade of the course shows "-" and the scores of answered questions are not taken into count. There is no way for the students to finish the quiz because the deadline is already over.

I'd appreciate any hint on how to fix Moodle's grade algorithm to take unfinished but answered quizzes into account.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Haruhiko Okumura

Re: Grade of Unfinished Quiz Missing

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Haruhiko,

This is due to a security mechanism that removes the grade if a student gets past the deadline without submitting. To save the grades of individual students you could extend the deadline (and turn off the timer if you had it enabled) and manually submit the quizzes.

I would not know how to change the quiz coding, but I guess the best way around the problem is to give clear instructions to the students to submit their work on time (or face the consequenceswink).

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Could we agree on the following desirable scenario?

A certain Quiz has a deadline.

Students take the Quiz.

Most students actually finish and submit their Quiz in time before the deadline.

A few students answer some (or all) of the questions but forget (or do not have the time) to submit their quiz before the deadline.

• When the deadline date & time has been reached for that certain Quiz, then Moodle automatically a) checks students' attempts and b) submits all those attempts which have not already been sumbitted.
  • OR when the teacher view the students' attempts for that certain Quiz, they have a "Submit all non-submitted attempts" button which enables them to just do that, manually but for all non-submitted attempts at once, rather than one by one.

What do you think?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Haruhiko Okumura -
Thanks, Joseph.

I think your second solution is easier to implement.

A "Submit all non-submitted attempts" button triggers a command like:

modify_database("", "UPDATE prefix_quiz_attempts SET timefinish=timemodified WHERE quiz={$quiz->id};");

by Haruhiko Okumura -
And here's my quick and dirty fix (not thoroughly tested yet):

mod/quiz/report/overview/report.php:

/// Only print headers if not asked to download data
        if (!$download = optional_param('download', NULL)) {
            $this->print_header_and_tabs($cm, $course, $quiz, $reportmode="overview");
        }

/// addition:
        if (optional_param('finishall', NULL) == "YES") {
          modify_database("", "UPDATE prefix_quiz_attempts SET timefinish=timemodified WHERE quiz={$quiz->id};");
        }

if (!empty($attempts)) {
                    helpbutton("download", get_string("download","quiz"), "quiz");
                    echo "</td></tr>\n";
                    echo '<tr><td colspan="3" align="center">';
                    unset($options["download"]);
                    $options["finishall"] = "YES";
                    print_single_button('report.php', $options, get_string("finishall","quiz"));
                    echo "</td>\n";
                    echo '</tr></table>';
                }
            }
            elseif ($download == 'Excel') {
                $workbook->close();
            }
            elseif ($download == 'CSV') {
                exit;
            }

lang/*/quiz.php:

$string['finishall'] = 'Finish all unfinished tests';

by Haruhiko Okumura -
I found that the above code clears all "unfinished" flags on the report page of the quiz, but the student grades are still "-" (missing). I'm at a loss...

by Haruhiko Okumura -
Another quick hack (in conjunction with the above):

$action = optional_param('action', '');

switch($action) {
            case 'delete':  /// Some attempts need to be deleted
            break;

case 'recalculate':
                $attemptids = isset($_POST['attemptid']) ? $_POST['attemptid'] : array();
                if(!is_array($attemptids) || empty($attemptids)) {
                    break;
                }
                foreach($attemptids as $num => $attemptid) {
                    if(empty($attemptid)) {
                        unset($attemptids[$num]);
                    }
                }
                foreach($attemptids as $attemptid) {
                    if ($toupdate = get_record('quiz_attempts', 'id', $attemptid)) {
                        $userid = $toupdate->userid;
                        if (record_exists('quiz_attempts', 'userid', $userid, 'quiz', $quiz->id)) {
                            quiz_save_best_grade($quiz, $userid);
                        }
                    }
                }
            break;
        }

$options = array('delete' => get_string('delete'), 'recalculate' => "Recalculate");

Check all and "Recalculate" should update the grades.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Maybe you should put this into a bug report (feature request) in order to get attention and possibly this hack made into regular Moodle distribution.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Haruhiko Okumura -
Thanks, Joseph. I've posted a bug report.

But a better solution might be to always store the current (best) quiz record in the grade data.

by Tak Auyeung -
}

should be

modify_database("", "UPDATE prefix_question_states SET event=3 WHERE id in (SELECT newest from prefix_question_sessions WHERE attemptid in (SELECT id from prefix_quiz_attempts WHERE quiz={$quiz->id}));");
}

The added code closes an attempt by registering the "event" of the last state as submitted.
In reply to Tak Auyeung

by graham crowder -
Should this code work in Moodle 1.9? I have tried it but to no avail and I would dearly love to be able click a button and force the submission of open attempts that were saved but not submitted.

The implication of comments by Tim Hunt in
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-3030
is that this is likely to be tricky to implement. Does the code in this thread work well or have side effects?

Graham