Miniview for Jon

Miniview for Jon

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 6

Martin was wondering what goal the minicalendar could serve..

If you consider the student as the person who is in control, he has so many things to decide: Having this small calendar on the mainpage could help the external coordination during his planning inside this Moodle :

1. When current day is red, you could make it clickable and jump with Gustav's "goto this week" routine to the section of this week (and back?)
  2. next month previous month would be also a big help during this planning..
  3. having functionality as in escalendar, you could with hoover over (Overlib) show all the obligations  in the other moodles, information that is stored in a MySQL table....  (http://calendar.esscripts.com/index.php) only the point is that it is no longer free.
  4. student in control, that means that the entering the entries must be as automatic as possible glimlach - I gave up webcalendar when it became more and more, to much handwork-  BUT the student must be able to filter away to much info on that specific planning moment (show all, show only appointments, show only deadlines, show only examdates, show my privat appointments...say five small color coded buttons under the calendar?
  5. With the current button under our calendar the student can jump to an external planner/email-combination.: there we hope to implement the timetables of the classes in the pesonal planners of each student, as we did try with WebCalendar...

Attachment ScreenShot039.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Miniview for Jon

by W Page -

QUOTE:

"...BUT the student must be able to filter away to much info on that specific planning moment (show all, show only appointments, show only deadlines, show only examdates, show my privat appointments...say five small color coded buttons under the calendar?..."   Ger Tielemans

Good thought.  Take a look at the calendar in the lower right column of Albini.net.

I do not think the boxes should be vertical as they are at Albini.net but they could be placed horizontally with popup windows so a user would know what the function of the color coded button was for.

WP1

by John Papaioannou -
Hello Ger,

About the things you mention:

1. "When current day is red". What do you mean? That the current day has events? Or that it should be red and clickable, regardless of the presence of events? If it has events, then it's already clickable. If not, then by the same argument I should make ALL days clickable. Why just the current one? I have thought about this and decided not to do it for reasons of user interface simplicity. As for the week view: I don't recall something like that, so I assume you 're talking about a function of WebCalendar, which Gustav had ported. Why a week view? Do you think it has to offer things that the month view cannot?
  2. Next month previous month are present almost everywhere! Where exactly do you want them and don't see them?
  3. overLib popups are the thing I 'm working on now.
  4. That will probably be next, after the popups.
  5. I won't do something like this for the "official" distribution of calendar, since Moodle doesn't include something this button could point to... It's a personalized feature, and if you want to do it, just hack a couple of lines of code in the correct place. Otherwise, what would this button do for all the other people who don't (want to) have an external planner program?
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Ger Tielemans -

In weekview I now implemented Gustav's FIRST "Go To This week" solution behind the current day. In Escalendar you can make that red.. 

If  a student LEFT clicks on this Bold day in the Kalendar, Moodle jumps to the weeksection of that day. (I wish that with hoover over the other info becomes visible and with RIGHT click you go to a big agenda with all the details.

(My hidden agenda is that users get used to use this Kalendar first for handy things, just as a stepstone, so that later the use of the extra functionality - like the results from the project on this forum - will be a natural next step...)

All I did (at the end, I learned a lot during this php/html trial!) was replacing $cd in the Kalendar code in the routine for current day into a modified string from Gustav and then some makeup around it to conform to my theme style

link to forum: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3428

In the code from Gustav I did replace $subtext by a dot. So still there, not really visible (handy when you hide the calendar for some reasons)

*** weeksold.php	Fri Nov  7 23:55:59 2003
--- weeks.php	Sat Nov  8 00:01:03 2003
*** 80,85 ****
--- 80,90 ----

/// Start main column
      echo "</td><td width=\"*\">";
+     $subtext = get_string("jumptocurrentweek");
+     $headertext = "<table border=0 width=100% cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0><tr><td>".
+         get_string("weeklyoutline")."</td><td align=right><font size=1>".
+         "<a href=\"#current\"></a></td></tr></table>";
+     print_heading_block($headertext, "100%", "outlineheadingblock");
      print_heading_block(get_string("weeklyoutline"), "100%", "outlineheadingblock");
      print_spacer(8, 1, true);

*** 185,190 ****
--- 190,198 ----
          }

echo "<tr>";
+         if ($currentweek) {
+             echo "<a name=\"current\"></a>";
+         }
          echo "<td nowrap $colorsides valign=top width=20>";
          echo "<p align=center><font size=3><b>$section</b></font></p>";
          echo "</td>";

Now the original string of Gustav: "<a href=\"#current\">$subtext</a></td></tr></table>";

I first said in Kalender: $gercourse=$course->id;

then changed Gustav's string (only in Kalendar, see below) into:

<a href=\"/moodle/course/view.php?id=".$gercourse."\#current\">

End then replaced in the loop for current day with some trial&error make-up:

if ($daycount==$tnum && $nt!="1" && $cd>0 && $cd<$nd) {
                                   echo "  <td bgcolor=\"#";if ($bgc[$daycount]) {
                                                   echo $mbc;} else {
                                                                              echo $nbc;}
                                          echo "\"> <font color=\"#$tfc\">$cd</font>
                                               </td>\n";$daycount++;$cd++;}

with:

if ($daycount==$tnum && $nt!="1" && $cd>0 && $cd<$nd) {
                                     echo "<td bgcolor=\"#"; if ($bgc[$daycount]) {
                                                 echo $mbc;} else {
                                                                             echo $nbc;} 
                 echo "\"> <b><a href=\"/moodle/course/view.php?id=".$gercourse."\#current\">
        <font size=\"3\">".$cd."</font></a></b>
</td>\n";$daycount++;$cd++;}

(I think that goto current topic = section with the bulbe on - will function also?)

I think someone can simplify this..knipoog

You mean this one? A little to much I think..

Attachment ScreenShot040.png

by W Page -

Hi!

This is more of what I am referring to.  Please see the attached image.

There is an area for "Current Events" like Holidays/School Closings/Final Exam etc.

The buttons represent shortcuts (As suggested by Ger above.) to specific information referring to a specific span of time.,

• Apporintments
  • Deadlines
  • Exams/Quizzes
  • Private Appointments
  • Miscellaneous

When the mouse is placed over the buttons a "pop up" window would appear with information relating to those specific events over a predetermined period of time.  Maybe instead of Miscellaneous there could be a button for "Classes".

I am sure a programmer would know how to make it prettier. smile

What do you think??

WP1

Attachment cal_expl.jpg