Active Lecture Module

Active Lecture Module

by luciano biondo -
Number of replies: 3
Active Lecture Module

Powerpoint is amusing, but never time is enough, so I don't like to spend class time to do lectures. I prefer to use class time for (I believe) more value-adding activities, as discussions, roleplayings, exercises, case study, questions and answers and so on.

To learn new informations, I think reading is often the best.

But reading texts is not amusing. So I put into the text-to-be-studied some question-answer. Almost never questions require to have memorized anything: I use very easy questions suitable to force pupils to think about what they are reading, to make connections, to find conclusions, and so on. Questions make reading more interesting and keep people awake.

To do everything work, I use a very simple GNU program, that I enclose. I enclose an example lesson too (argument: sales techniques). Sorry, the example lesson language is italian (if anybody can translate it, he is wellcome, I am not able, my english is very poor).

The program can be obviously linked to moodle. The problem is that I must create a new mysql database for each lesson. Is there anybody who can use the enclosed script to make a (more useful) new moodle module?

Luciano
Average of ratings: -
In reply to luciano biondo

Re: Active Lecture Module

by W Page -

Hi!

I cannot get the file to download.  I am using IE6.  I just get a a "Action Canceled" page and the "Save As" window pops up, but, when I click save the page just refreshes itself.

Cannot figure out what is wrong.

WP1

In reply to W Page

Re: Active Lecture Module

by Ray Kingdon -
...Using Mozilla and the ZIP file downloaded fine. It contains a couple of spurious directory trees (for example _MACOSX) but the Activelecture files are all there. Where's my Italian course... 
In reply to luciano biondo

Re: Lesson Module?

by Ray Kingdon -
I've had a further look at this. It's basically a set of hyperlinked content pages linked either logically from the teacher's point of view or by questions and (MC) answers from the student's point of view. In Moodle terms, it is a cross between resources and quizzes. It looks interesting with the content being in the database (is that good?). A few points -
  1. I think "Lesson" might be a better name than "Lecture", it's more generic. Also if it does get into Moodle there's no need for the Active prefix, everything in Moodle is Active smile
  2. Most things in Moodle are graded/Assessed. Any thoughts on the assessment strategy for this activity?
  3. This must be a fairly common activity. I saw books in the 70's (or was it 60's?) with a similar approach ("If you think the answer is 4 then goto page 185") wink Thus I'd be surprised if there's not some standards around. Does anyone know of any?