Changes in language files in 1.6

Changes in language files in 1.6

by Just H -
Number of replies: 8
Hi all

Is it just me or has the handling of language files in 1.6 gotten unnecessarily complicated? (Rhetorical question BTW as it's probably me smile)

I'm going round in circles at the moment trying to modify a few strings and create a local language pack sad Things where fine until a recent CVS upgrade and then it seems to have gone amiss somewhere.
  • My en_utf8_local (which is in the moodledata folder) is nowhere to be seen in the dropdown at: Administration r_breadcrumb.gif Configuration r_breadcrumb.gif Language although the previous changes I made are still shown in my site and it was listed previously and was editable from within Moodle.
  • I ended up with a page full of missing strings in several of the php files.
So I thought I'd start from scratch:
  • On initial install if you try and edit a language pack (i.e. the default en_utf8) I get "to edit this language pack, you need to put it in /home/mysite/moodledata/lang" which is somewhat contradicted by "The default English language pack, en_utf8, remains in moodle/lang, along with a tiny non-UTF-8 version (en) for use in the 1.5 to 1.6 upgrade, prior to the database migration process." from the Translation page in Moodle docs - unless that means you move it after the migration process?
  • When I move it to the moodledata folder I get "Could not find English language pack!"
  • When I copy it back so it is in both moddledata/lang and moodle/lang I get to the edit page but no way to edit any file from within Moodle e.g. "If you make '/home/mysite/moodledata/lang/en_utf8/moodle.php' editable by the web server process (e.g. apache) then you could edit this file directly from this page" - I've tried changing permissions from 644 to 777 to no avail
At least now there are no missing strings - so does that mean the en_utf8 folder I originally had in moodledata/lang about 3 hours ago and deleted when I tried to start from scratch was not being updated by CVS?

All in all rather frustrating.

Any enlightenment much appreciated.

Regards
Harry
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Just H

Re: Changes in language files in 1.6

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
The extremely new translation interface makes it easy to make localised language packs, but there seems to be a problem for English. Reported in bug 5745
In reply to koen roggemans

by Just H -
Thanks for confirming Koen, I thought it was just me smile

H

Re: bug 5745

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi guys,

I will check it this evening and hopefully will commit patched revision tomorrow. Thank you for the notification.

David

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've just fixed the bug, see revision 1.67. As en_utf8 is prevented from editing (which is IMHO OK) the script did not allow edit nor _local pack. Bug Status changed to Resolved, please try and Verify.

Thank you reporting, Harry. I hope you will enjoy the new interface improvements.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Tim Allen -
David,

Thanks a lot for working on this, but I don't think the fix is working - at least on my two Moodle 1.6 installations it isn't.  Instead of a link to edit the localized English language pack, a page from the Moodle CVS repository is being loaded!

I have added this to the bug with a screenshot as an example.

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by David Mudrák -
Hi Tim,

can you please describe *what* link took you to the page? I can not imagine how an Moodle script could lead you into CVS repository browser  surprise
In reply to David Mudrák

by Tim Allen -
Sorry David, I have wasted your time and made a foolish mistake.

I downloaded the lang.php from the Moodel CVS repository by right-clicking and selecting "Save link as" in Firefox.  Instead of downloading the lang.php file, it saved  a PHP file for the Sourceforge website instead. 

I should have clicked on the filename and then clicked on the download link to get the correct file.  So all the problems occurred because I didn't download the file properly.

I am so embarrassed and apologize once again for wasting your time.  blush  shy   clown   black eye

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by David Mudrák -
No worries - to be honest, I thought it would be something like that  wink I am happy that it is solved now, so I can report MartinD that the script can be considered stable.