MOODLE offline CD-ROM course for use on ships in the Caribbean sea?

MOODLE offline CD-ROM course for use on ships in the Caribbean sea?

by Stephan Becker -
Number of replies: 25
Hi there,

I know this might seem a bit odd as a question - but one of our clients asked us if it was possible to have our online teacher training course available off-line on a CD-ROM? Is this possible?? Obvously this would be without any registration of dynamic data such as user info and grades, bot only the course files.

This client would be interested in taking our coral reef biology teachers course on a liveaboard without Internet access in the Caribbean .

Thank you,
Stephan
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stephan Becker

Re: MOODLE offline CD-ROM course for use on ships in the Caribbean sea?

by Tony Hursh -
Sounds like an ideal application for the Moodle on a USB Memory Stick package that was recently discussed.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Stephan Becker -
Hello Tony,

Oh my goodness - that would be awesome, Moodle on a USB memory stick. I have potentially alot of scuba instructors and boat captains that would be interested in our coral reef education courses but with only very limited possibility to go online because they cruise the Caribbean sea - though they should be the first ones taking this course which is aiming at educating the eco tourists.

Thank you for the hint, Tony, I will try it out.

Stephan

by elearning edu -

Hello,

You may try the Microweb or server2go for offline moodle course.  I successfully used Microweb and had difficulty with server2go.

Nagarajan

In reply to elearning edu

by Stephan Becker -
Helo Nagarajan,

Thank you very much for your help. When you tried Microweb - was it complicated to do, or did it long to put the site on CD_ROM? At how muxh would yuo estimate the time for a developer? (I am not a programmer myself and would have to give the work to a developer I pay).

I also learned of a possibility to put MOODLE on a memory stick. You will find information in this thread.

Thank you,
Stephan

by elearning edu -

Hello,

Thanks for your mail.  I trained a developer in my company to tackle Microweb based autorun CD to run Moodle, Joomla and OSCommerce.  I order to minimise the problems to the new user we donated to a frontline script which will regulate the steps.  Additionally we wrote a tiny VB script to remove the information from the C drive when the CD is removed.  Please send a personal mail to vnagarajan@moodler.com for us to help you to create a CD

Nagarajan

by Gopalan Kathiravan -

Sir:

Nice to hear your efforts. We try to develop e-modules using moodle for online veterinary education in Chennai (Madras Veterinary College). In the process, we have to deliver the contents offline also. In this context, we tried with Poodle, which works only in USB drive. As donating USB disk to everyone becomes costlier, we prefer to go for CD/DVD ROM mode. On perusal of moodle sites, I understand that you have a method for delivering offline moodle  through CDs. Would you please share a copy of version you created. Since I am placed at Namakkal Veterinary College, I would be grateful, if you can get me copy of items in CD (or download link of ISO...). I am not an IT expert, but a veterinarian developing online moodle.

Thank you sir.

Regards,

Dr.G.Kathiravan, Associate Professor, Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal. drkathir@tanuvas.org.in

by Asier Suarez -
I have been trying to get moodle into a CD with microweb, but I am not able with the instructions of their product, could you guide me to do it possible??

by Tomas A. Ramirez Andujar -
Hello Sir,

I have sent you an email in order to request your help with this task, that of setting up Moodle with microweb.
Yours, Tomas
In reply to Tomas A. Ramirez Andujar

by john attwood -
Tomas,

Here's where you can download my latest version I call it Portable Moodle. It's going to be way easier to use than Micro web and there's basically nothing to do. It's fully documented.

Download link below:

username 'seeker'
password 'manna'

http://svn.serveall.net/releasecatalog/public/lt/tools/Portable%20Moodle/Latest%20Install/EN/

Now after you download it and run the executable it will install the full version (500mb) which includes all the development tools I used to create it (all open source & Freeware). By default it installs in c:\pm1.20en. It will run straight away from your hard drive. If you want to burn a CD ROM with it there are two simple ways:

1. Just go to c:\pm1.20en\System\mode_cd.bat (hit enter to pass questions) this prepares it for CD, then burn your CD you can use the portable burner I included in c:\pm1.20en\System\Extra\DeepBurner Portable.

2. Run the install from the PStart menu which will install the mini version which is 135mb but unfortunately it will attempt to install it to c:\pm1.20en by default just change the path to something like .._mini or something different. Then repeat procedure with mode_cd.bat in number 1. Then burn your CD. If you use method number 1 you will have a full CD with all dev tools which will be about 500 mb. Method 2 will only be 135 mb all dev tools left out.

If you get lost click on help on PStart menu which has all the help you ever wanted.

One note:

When you start adding content to moodle you want to be in read/write mode

run \System\mode_us.bat which puts you in read/write mode which is indicated on the PStart menu by the icon that looks like a hdd.

Then after you've got your content set the way you want it you then execute the \System\mode_cd.bat then burn your CD.

Again if you need more detail launch the help files on the PStart menu.

Let me know what you think or if you have any problems.

John

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to john attwood

by Ray J -
John
Have you changed the password ?
Ray
In reply to john attwood

by kannan S -

Dear Sir,

I have encountered error 404 ,object not found problem when enter your username and password to that link (which was send by You)

In reply to kannan S

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmmm funny, works for me... and Mary, lovely woman that she is, would not say anything, but is your server restricting your access to some sites? This happens on my work servers, too often to recount here, all because of some security protocol interfereing in my activities.

Poodle is one solution, but if they have a laptop then all they need is a local install of Moodle. Xampp Moodle for a Windows OS laptop, with the course and then just let them go.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Frank Ralf -
XAMPP is also available as a portable app so you could even install it (together with Moodle) on an USB stick, see http://portableapps.com/apps/development/xampp for details.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by kannan S -

Loads and Loads of thanks for all whom suggesting Poodle software. But I have restored our online moodle course into Poodle software, I have encountered the follwoing error message please again give useful guidance. The error message is
"Some problems were detected when checking user data (Trying to restore user 'admin' from backup file will cause conflict)
An error has occurred and the restore could not be completed!"

please reply to my email id kannan08mca@gmail.com

Keep in touch.

Thanks and Regards,

Kannan.s

In reply to kannan S

by ben reynolds -

Hi Kannan,

Please see this discussion for answers. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=142720

You'll want to read the whole discussion. Conflicting answers.

This is the second time I've responded to this question in less than 20 minutes.

by Chris Lamb -

They've obviously got a computer on board or you wouldn't be asking the question, so why not install EasyPHP on it and let it run as its own webserver?  You've then got a completely self-contained Moodle installation which you can use in the same way as an online one.

HTH

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Asier Suarez -
I don't understand what you want to tell me... What I want is to create an offline CD of moodle, but I am not able to do it...
In reply to Asier Suarez

by Maik Riecken -
Hi there...

There is an very old solution on http://www.moodleschule.de (Follow liveCD-Link) running Moodle 1.5.3. This CD is customizeable using windows or linux, but does not support Moodle 1.6.x yet. There was no real use for it inside the community yet - so I stopped further work on it. The only idea of mine was a join up from knoppix and lamppix.

Moving to Moodle1.6.x or an upgrade to kanotix (brand new kernel) could be possible, if there is a need for it. Networking (undestructable learning environment) is thinkable, too.

USB-Flash devices are not build to be rewritten very often like MySQL does. Any installation should be backuped carefully. The stick will die, when you really need it or you just forget to make backups.This may last a long time (months? years?), but will happen depending on the quality of your device.

But: For Windows users this is a fantastic and convienient solution!

regards,

Maik

In reply to Maik Riecken

by Linda Jamin -
As an ignorant pagan with no tech skills, I have to ask: How does one put Moodle on a stick?  This would solve my problems, too.

Thanks

by Andy Diament -

A solution that worked quite well is described at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=37021&parent=172155

Basically, it's an installation of xampp + moodle + moodle content, zipped up in a away that is easy to unzip straight to disk and run in a couple of clicks, thoughin my case limited to unzipping everything to the c:\ drive directly,as a path of least resistance.

I still have a few cd's left from the Bett show, if you can send me a mailing address.

Andy D

by john attwood -
Stephan,

Presently I have two versions. One uses a piece of software called server2.go. It works pretty well the other my workmate developed and I haven't tested but it makes use of a virual disk. I haven't yet posted up yet because I've been travelling and just got back from the moodle conference in U.K. I also need to shrink it down some in it's present form it's about 325mb. It's going to be a problem for me to upload right now because it is very expensive because I live in Kazakstan. I've tested it an it works. The drawback is that it is a little slow but otherwise it works well. I could concievabley deliver a CD ROM to you. Maybe put one on a plane with somebody heading to the states and have them snail mail it to you from the states.

I don't have 1.6 working yet but hope to have it up within a couple of months.

Sincerely,

John Attwood

by kannan S -

Dear Sir/Madam

Any Opensource software avilable for converting moodle online course into offline CD-ROM course. .This is most urgent sir/madam. We have developing Fisheries course under NAIP Scheme. I kindly request that please give a optimized procedure to convert our moodle online course into offline course to my email id kannan08mca@gmail.com.

Thanks and Regards,

Kannan.S

Research Associate,

Fisheries College and Research Institute,

Tuticorin