File format

File format

by Greg Jeffrey -
Number of replies: 3
Probably a stupid elementary question but, when uploading Potatoes I have confused myself as to the best option to use.  I initially converted them to html, was trying navigation options, and then wondered if I should have been using .jcw .jmx .jqz etc.  Both formats seem to work once in Moodle.  The pot files are a tenth of the size.  The only drawback I have come across so far is I can't see how to embed drag and drop in modules that support it in "native" hotpot.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Jeffrey

Re: File format

by Jacek Walinski -
Dear Greg, and All,

This is a question I sometimes ask myself. Please have a look at an earlier post by Timo Kozlowski where Gordon replies:

"Using HTML versions of the quizzes has the advantage that the server doesn't have to work so hard to send the quiz out to the student, so the quiz usually goes out more quickly (about half a second to a second faster). Also, if you are using HotPot v2.0, which comes with Moodle 1.5, there are several problems with the fine tuning of the presentation of the quiz. For example, the problems you reported.

On the other hand, using the Hot Potatoes source files has the following advantages:
  1. if you want to modify the contents of the quiz, or if the template changes, you do not need to regenerate the HTML file version of the quiz on your PC and upload it to Moodle
  2. you always use latest templates (the templates define the layout and functionality of the quiz)
  3. you will be able to use templates for different devices (old browsers, mobile phones, Flash players)

Additionally, when using exercise files (.jmt) the "drag-and-drop" format probably depends on the "Output format" option. If you click the help button, you will see the following info:

v6+
The quiz will be displayed in a drag and drop format for v6+ browsers

Best regards,

Jacek

In reply to Jacek Walinski

by Greg Jeffrey -

Thanks Jacek - I should have traced Gordon's response myself.  I've had a look at that the rest of that now.

As far as drag and drop goes - am I still missing something here?  The only output format button I see is when I export for web page - ie not in native hotpot format so I still can't see how to have drag and drop if I upload source files.  This may just be a trade-off but???

Greg

In reply to Greg Jeffrey

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Greg,
as you may know, you can only use the "Drag and Drop" format for JMatch and JMix.

If you want to create a "Drag and Drop" html file, please do one of the following from within the JMatch or JMix running on your PC:
  • Ctrl + F6
  • File -> Create Web page -> Drag/Drop Web Page for V6 Browsers
  • click the Drag-and-Drop export icon (control bar)
This will create an html file which you can upload to module and administer through the HotPot module.

You can also administer a "Drag and Drop" quiz using the Hot Potatoes source file (i.e. the ".jmt" or ".jmx" file). Here's how:
  1. create the ".jmt" or ".jmx" file using JMatch or JMix
  2. upload the ".jmt" or ".jmx" file to your Moodle course
  3. add a HotPot activity
  • for the "File name", specify the Hot Potatoes source file
  • for the "Output format" choose "best" or "v6+"
click the "Save changes" buttonhope that's clear, but if not please let us know smile