Using different template files?

Using different template files?

by Jacek Walinski -
Number of replies: 3
Hello, Gordon and All,

First of all, many thanks for the great job you do.

Replying to a previous post from Timo Kozlowski you wrote:

"On the other hand, using the Hot Potatoes source files has the following advantages:
(...)
3. you will be able to use templates for different devices (old browsers, mobile phones, Flash players)"

I have the source files from Hot Potatoes 5.5.0.22. Would it be possible to use it instead of/together with the distributed "v6" template files to generate code for older browsers?

Currently, I'm using Moodle 1.5.4 with the latest Hotpot module 2.1.20, which only offers "best, v6, v6+" as output formats.

Best wishes,

Jacek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacek Walinski

Re: Using different template files?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jacek,
if you have the html files for the HP5 quizzes, I think the HotPot module can handle them.

In theory it is possible to create templates for source files from HP5. However, it would not be a trivial job. Do your students use older browsers? Are you interested in creating the templates?

I will soon release the "mobile" phone templates, which actually will work on older browsers, because they send only html to the browser. i.e. no javascript. Maybe those will suffice for your needs.

best regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jacek Walinski -
Thanks for a swift reply!

I am using HP6. But some of my students use Windows 98 with IE5 and they experience problems with browsing in general. One of the most frequent  complaints is that the JQuiz exercises do not display correctly / break in the middle, etc.

So I thought it might be somehow possible to automatically "downgrade" the code generated from the v6 exercise files in the HotPot module to make it more accessible to older systems. I hopped that it could be a trivial matter of adding/replacing files in the 'hotpot/template' directory.

I am looking forward to the release "mobile phone edition" to check how it works with older browsers.

All the best,

Jacek

In reply to Jacek Walinski

by Marc Paré -
Hi Jacek:

Would it not be better for you to encourage your students to upgrade to the Firefox browser? The files will probably work well with Firefox and you students will also have a more up-to-date browser on their systems (as well as a more secure browser). Microsoft no longer supports IE v.5.5 (nor Windows 98) and the HotPotatoes developers will not support older versions of their software.

Your students could then browse the net with a newer, faster and supported browser (in their very own language) as well as have access to your HotPot exercices written with the latest HotPot software.

Your students may find Firefox at:  http://www.getfirefox.com

Cheers

Marc