What time zone?

What time zone?

by Marilyn Fleming -
Number of replies: 8
When I enter a time for a scheduled backup, is it GMT, server local time, or what?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marilyn Fleming

Re: What time zone?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Your time (using the timezone of the admin account).  If not, then this is a bug.  smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Marilyn Fleming -

I'm not sure I know what "my" time is. Is that something I configure in Moodle? (Perhaps one of those user-profile fields I defaulted, then never looked at again.)

I scheduled a backup to run at 10:00 am. It ran at 10:00 pm, based on what printed on the Cron email. (That would mean a 12 hour time difference.)

When I test forum posts on my Moodle site, the time printed in the forum message header is 5 hours off from what's on the clock in my living room. That's would mean something like GMT (I'm on the East Coast of the US, Eastern time zone. I think that's either GMT-5 or GMT-6.)

The time in the header of your "Re: What time zone?" response says 8:49 PM. My living room clock reads 8:4x AM -- Sounds reasonable if you (i.e., your admin account) is in Australia.

by Tom Murdock -
You are exactly right that the time zone is in the initial user-profile configuration list. If you are the main admin still for your installation, edit your profile, scroll down to timezone, and enter the correct one now. smile
In reply to Tom Murdock

by kera mchugh -

can anyone suggest where to fix this in SCHEDULER addon?

i want to set times, but if i select the slots based on the pacific time i want, when i save them, it shows them as 8 hours LATER in the student view...

i'd really rather not have to do the math... it's hard enough picking the time from a 24 hour clock!!! big grin

by D G -
I've noticed that if the admin is set to "Server time zone" then there can be a difference between the time "according to you", and the time "according to cron".

DG

In reply to D G

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi DG (curious namesmile),

I think that is highly recommended to set the "real" timezone instead of using the "Server time zone" option, specially for the admin account. I think that a special check must be done in some Moodle time funcions because specifying "Server time zone" can be a problem when executing scripts via cron (only via cron). I'll analyze it.

Specifing a real one, shouldn't be any difference and the scheduled backup should be executed ok.

Ciao, smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by D G -
Oh definately; setting the time zone correctly works as advertised for me, but the "Server time zone" (which worked as advertised for everything else) can be a "gotcha" for the cron scripts (possibly not in all cases, but it certainly was in mine ;) ).

I believe it threw the backup off by the timezone offset, in my case, though I can't recall if it was "doubling" the timezone offset, or negating it completely.

DG

In reply to D G

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi D.G (your name is very......short? smile)

some changes have been done in cron to support the "Server time zone" option properly. Now all (time to launch scheduled backups) seems to work fine in my test server.

Changes are in CVS. Hope it works as expected.

Ciao, smile