Why does it have things like "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor" ?

Why does it have things like "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor" ?

by David Shealy -
Number of replies: 5

Even when you instruct it to jump to a page? If the statement "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor" was desired, wouldn't I just put it in there? Who would want this statement there at all? I don't understand.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Shealy

Re: Why does it have things like "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor" ?

by Michael Penney -
It there to let students know that the essay question is not automatically graded, so the grade they know that the grade they recieve doesn't include the points for the essay questions.
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: Why does it have things like "Your essay will be graded by the course instructor" ?

by David Shealy -

Ah, right. Makes complete sense. My use of Moodle is coming from a whole different direction and I wasn't even think about the "testing" that I guess is its current primary use.

What we're doing is actually trying to use it for the "teaching" part as well, in subjects that do not have right and wrong answers. We educate teenagers on things that are not formally taught in highschool, ie, Friendship, Money Management, and Living Life Intentionally (Planning, thinking about the Future).

Generally our formula is consistent: We ask a question that encourages consideration and reflection, like "Why do some people earn more money than others?". We ask the student for their initial views on the subject, then we show what their peers have answered. We then encourage the students to reflect upon/critique/expand on other's responses, considering how their own responses to the question. Finally, we reinforce the reality discovered - that the knowledge is already there, that it just needs to be given light and exercised.

Surprisingly, this sort of follows your Constructivsim/Constructionism/Social Constructionism philosophy.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place ? Do you know where I can look for suggestions as to how to implement this type of teaching? In particular, open essay responses to chained questions, without any grading.

Thanks,
David

In reply to David Shealy

by Michael Penney -
Hmm, you can change the message in your lesson's language (lang/en/lesson.php) file to say something like "Thank you for sending in your response", and then (if desired) have the next page be a branch table with a message specific to that essay.

If you don't want this to be a sitewide setting for all lesson, you can use custom language files for courses & provide different messages for various activities, including lesson.
In reply to David Shealy

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I deal with similar situtations.  Better remember what changes you make, because they could be upgraded to the default.  

Seem to recall that you can establish a Shealy_language.  Somebody else can tell you the pros and cons of that.  

Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Michael Penney -
If you prefix the new language with the old language title, then you can make changes to the new languages and terms that you do not re-define will keep using the old language.

For an example look at en_us and en. en is the base language and some terms are redefined in en_us.

I use a modified en_us, called en_hsu, to provide custom terms and help files for our local setting (points rather than marks, for example).

You can use en_coursename to redefine terms in en for a particular course.