Mail not being received from forum subscriptions

Mail not being received from forum subscriptions

by James Ballard -
Number of replies: 7
Hi

Can anyone help with subscribed email set-up. It used to work for us in 1.4.3, but doesn't now in 1.5.x, although this could well be coincidence as the period between upgrade and noticing subscriptions weren't arriving as expected has been a few months.

The cron.php reads:

Processing module function forum_cron ...
Success

Processing post 126.... mailed to 3 users.
done.but no one receives the mail. I have tried various domained accounts to check it wasn't our system and none have worked. Am I missing an obvious setting somewhere?

I have left smtp blank in the variables.

Yours
James
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Ballard

Re: Mail not being received from forum subscriptions

by N Hansen -
I'm taking a wild guess here, but it wouldn't hurt to check the Spam catcher for those accounts to make sure the posts aren't getting tagged as Spam and redirected elsewhere.
In reply to N Hansen

by James Ballard -
Already thought of that - used 5 different accounts with various filters, including one with no filters at all and nothing came through to any folder - inbox, spam, junkmail, et al.

Any other ideas for the black-hole absorbing all our mails?

by Paolo Oprandi -
Why have you left smtp blank? shouldn't that be your smtp sever?
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Julian Ridden -
Not always. My smtp is blamnk as my servers own sendmail does the sending.
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by James Ballard -
This has been corrected now - some of our sites were blank, some had a server but neither sent mail, which was causing the first confusion.

We should have been using a server address for our exchange server but this still doesn't work - we are investigating our mail network, firewall and other such settings. For the moment we have been reliably informed that this isn't a Moodle problem but we are struggling to find what was changed between when it did work to now.

Yours
James

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi James,

It's most likely not the case, however you could check that the smtphosts field contains no white space (difficult to see wink) as this was the cause of our forum subscription email problem.
In reply to Helen Foster

by James Ballard -
Hello

We have run multiple tests now and we still can't get this to work.

Do most people get forum subscriptions sent (v. 1.5.2), what method are you using?

Has anyone set up their Moodle to run with an exchange server, and if so how?

Is there an internal mail client for Moodle we can use?

PS. We can telnet port 25. We have tried with or without authentication. We have tried IP and full address of server. We have tried a blank smtphost to use default.

PPS. I also noticed the SMTP error appears when a student enrols on a course.

Yours
James