Reopen a quiz

Reopen a quiz

by Sara Nylander -
Number of replies: 5

II am about to open a quiz on moodle 1.6, but I have a question... My quiz allows only 1 attempt.  If the student accidently sumbits their answers before they were finished with the quiz, is there a way to allow them access to their quiz again (in essense, reopen the quiz for them)?  I thought that once you sumbit your answers, the quiz is closed to you...

Any responses or putting me to the right thread would be VERY much appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sara Nylander

Re: Reopen a quiz

by Gustav W Delius -
You can delete the attempt that the student has made. Then the student will be allowed to attempt again. To delete an attempt you click on the "Results" tab and then select the attempt you want to delete by clicking the checkbox next to it and then choose "Delete" from the drop-down menu below the table of attempts.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by N Hansen -
Gustav-It's not fair to the student if we simply delete their attempt and allow them to retake the whole thing, all the work they have done so far will be lost and they will have to redo it in addition to the ones they forgot to do. For the kind of work my students are doing (essay) this is completely unacceptable. I've found a way around it by going into the database and changing some things manually so that they actually regain access only to the questions they didn't submit. I can check what tables those were and perhaps this could be a feature added-allow students to complete unsubmitted questions.

The other option is to vote for bug 5098.
In reply to N Hansen

by Sara Nylander -

I'm okay with them having to start the exam all over again .... it's not ideal, but at least it is an option.  So if I just delete the attempt, it will be as if the student had never accessed the exam?

N Hansen - what did you change to allow them access to only the questions they hadn't answered?  Is  it a fairly easy process?

Thanks so much for the replies!

In reply to Sara Nylander

by N Hansen -
It was fairly easy as long as you have access to the database, but I can't recall off the top of my head what it was. I'll have to poke around again in the database. What it did was open only the unanswered questions (I wasn't trying to achieve this, but this is how it worked), and they were not allowed to change the answered ones, which was really nice. Since it was so easy to implement manually, I would imagine it would be an easy enough feature to add.
In reply to N Hansen

by L B -
N Hansen, I would be very interested to know how you were able to do this. I've been asking some of my IT folks for a similar option. We are using Moodle to administer a lengthy (over 200 questions) exam. Students are limited to one attempt. They are quite frustrated when they accidentally hit "submit all and finish" and I inform them that their original attempt must be deleted so that they can start over.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!