White Screen after trying to install a plugin

White Screen after trying to install a plugin

by Friedrich Röntsch -
Number of replies: 5
Hi, when I try to install a new plugin (any plugin) via .zip upload and hit the install button, my site becomes blank.
When I log in as a user without admin role the site works as usual but trying to access /admin/index.php leaves me with a blank site.
I tried to remove the plugin from the local folder, the site worked again after removing the folder, but trying to install it again will leave me with the blank screen.

What's wrong here? 

version: Moodle 4.3+ (Build: 20231116)
Theme: Moove

Edit: I turned on debugging, purged caches and switched to the boost them. Now I get this error when hitting install: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1368064 bytes) in [...]/lib/classes/string_manager_standard.php on line 142

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Friedrich Röntsch

Re: White Screen after trying to install a plugin

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Check your servers PHP Info page.  Look for value for max memory a script can consume.
Increase it by 1368064 bytes to cover that your moodle wants to use but right now can't!

Change to php config does require restart of web services for the change to take affect if not using .htaccess.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Friedrich Röntsch -
Thanks. I tried to increase it (didn't work, see my comment) ... the php info site shows this: memory_limit 512M 256M .. where 512 is the local value I set in the .user.ini and 256 the master value.

by Friedrich Röntsch -
So I thought maybe it's the memory limit. Since I'm on shared hosting (ALL-INKL) I can only increase it via .user.ini with memory_limit=512M.
After I've increased the memory limit, I at least see the second page where it shows me the installation info, but after going to the next step, it show the blank screen again. Page also works again after removing the plugin folder from the "local" folder where I uploaded it.
The plugin I try to install is edwiserform btw.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
According to:
https://edwiser.org/forms/
version 4.0 of Moodle and PHP 7.2+ Last Update 4 months ago.
Unless there is a version compat with your core version of moodle, I'd say 'no-go'. :|

There is, however, another that's not a plugin to moodle yet can be displayed in an iframe of
Moodle:
https://www.machform.com/
$ and has separate interface ... not accessible inside moodle.
At least that was true a couple of years ago. :|

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Friedrich Röntsch -
Okay thank you. Yes, I use Moodle 4.3 and want to keep the installation up to date in the coming years.

I have a wordpress installation on the same server where I could include a form and display it via Iframe.