HTTP ERROR 500

HTTP ERROR 500

by Duncn James -
Number of replies: 13
Hi, 

I have just done an Moodle upgrade from 4.2. 2 to the latest version 4.3.

I ran through the upgrade process and everything was green in regards plugins and other environmental checks and it completed fine. 

When I came to log in it came up with  "mysite is currently unable to handle thie request"

HTTP ERROR 500.

looking in the Apache Error log AH01630: client denied by server configuration:

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

thanks
Duncan 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Duncn James

Re: HTTP ERROR 500

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What server/host are you on?  Operating system?  How exactly did you upgrade?  Anything happen?  Did you move the site?  Have you cleared out caches?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Duncn James -
Hello. Ken.

Thank you for your reply I have restored the site to start again.

I am upgrading to Moodle Version 4.3 , Do you know what the compatibiliy versions are for

PHP
Apache2

Many thanks
Duncan
In reply to Duncn James

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
See Leon's reply ... this thread ...
For future reference:
https://moodledev.io/general/releases
and
http://www.syndrega.ch/blog/#php-and-dbms-compatibility-of-major-moodle-releases

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Duncn James -
Many thanks for the information.

Git defently looks the way to go.  after watching some you tube video.  Any tips for doing GIT for a major update ?

Many thanks 
Duncan
In reply to Duncn James

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Ken got me started with git a few years ago and it is a life changer!  I wrote myself a help guide which has all the commands I need which I still use every upgrade just to make sure I don't miss anything (plus I add in whatever hacks I am using currently to make Moodle do what I want!) - about always need a hard reset and then just switch branches and pull the new code - Ken will give you detailed instructions I am sure!!
In reply to Duncn James

by Ken Task -
Basically ... moodle releases update code frequently with fixes to code as well as security fixes ... ever notice the notifications 'nag'? smile

By 'major' ... do you mean version upgrades - like from 4.3 to 4.4 (when released)?
There are really 2 ... updates ... point releases within a series - like 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 (up) ... and upgrades like from 4.3 to 4.4 (upgrade).

Thus 2 scripts ... an 'up' and an 'upgrade'.   Both do a site backup just prior to any git command issued.

See my profile.

And a reference:
https://moodledev.io/general/releases

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Duncn James

by Ken Task -
Another 2 cents ... if you upgraded the 'long way' (move moodle code out of the way, install new code, copy back config.php and addons), it would be worth your time to check ownerships/permissions ... config.php must be readable by all.

Do you have an .htaccess file in play?   Forgot to copy it from code out of the way into new code?

Do you have a WAF - web application firewall - like mod_security?  Check secure logs.

And 4 cents more ... if you upgraded the 'long way' there is a BETTER way .... using git.
https://docs.moodle.org/403/en/Git_for_Administrators

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Duncn James -
Hello.

I tried the following :-
Put the site into maintenance mode
typed git pull and it came back with the following error
Error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge"
then lists lots of files then says Aborting....

Any advise please many thanks
Duncan
In reply to Duncn James

by Ken Task -
To be expected ... IF ... you didn't 'sideload', or 'gitify' (upload), or use a combo to initialize your code directory with git repo for moodle ... which would be true if you didn't originally install moodle code using git.

Questions though ...
1. have you altered any core code?
2. since this is your first time with this, safer to practice on a clone of your site.
Can you clone your site?

And ... am going to send you a PM in this system.  PM or direct emal is necessary because of the nature of questions and information shared - don't want to expose too much about your server in a public forum.
Please respond there in the PM.

One other item ... time zones - am in San Antonio, Tx. and  it's 6:30 AM my time.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Duncn James

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have you tried doing, git stash, first, and then git pull? Your local changes can be something as simple as changing the owner and permissions to the files and locations of where your Moodle is located. Happens to me all the time due to the way I do code development. I move things back and forth from my desktop computer to my server as root which changes the ownership. Then when I do a git pull, I have stash things first or I get this error.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Duncn James -
Hello,.
No I have not. and I had reapplied permissions due to the original issue. Do you think this might help ?

many thanks
Duncan
In reply to AL Rachels

by Ken Task -
Have been in direct email contact with OP.
Has been given the job to support without much experience with Moodle.

There is more than meets the eye on this one!
theme/edumy/ - $ and probably not installed via git.
and another related:
cocoon_form_builder
which is related to the theme above.

I suspect cocoon_form_builder - but don't know anything about it.

Not sure it would be wise to stash those 2.

There should be a .gitignore file.
Think I'd add both of those to the bottom of .gitignore.
before stashing.

The real issue is duplication of H5P content ...
which, to me, could indicate conflict with h5p plugin when it was not part of core - and that same plugin now part of core.   Can see a potential issue if the wrong plugin was removed.

Besides that, hosted on DigitalOcean - might be a droplet ... which could mean command line only access - no cPanel/WHM setup.

Have suggested the safest thing to do is to clone the site and work on the clone first ... but don't know how much space is available.   OP did say the attempt to upgrade to 4.3 failed and he had to restore the 4.2.x that was there ... that also could be a factor.

OP says 'developers' are wanting site to be upgraded to 4.3.highest.   He's tried to contact those 'developers' .... no word back yet.

We are now working on making a CLI backup of the site as it exist. :| and cloning, if possible, to have a test system in resolving issues.

'SoS', Ken