What is parent theme and is there any license issues?

What is parent theme and is there any license issues?

by Abdur Rahim -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I am new in Moodle theme development. I want to build a custom theme for my internal project. So I was reading the Moodle theme document for theme development. And there I read some points that "Themes can also be based on parent themes with only few customizations."  
I want to know these things
1. What is the parent theme? Boost/Classic or any existing free/paid theme provided by others.
2. If I build a theme based on any third-party theme then will there be any license issues?

In the document, I also found a point that "Most theme developers simply add a few changes to their new theme by basing it on an existing one"
so can you also explain this point. Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abdur Rahim

Re: What is parent theme and is there any license issues?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I will let the developers answer those questions but there is a guide in the docs on how to make a child theme - I would start there.
On the licensing question, if you base a theme off a paid theme, you will have to pay for it. The parent theme has to also be installed on the site.
In reply to Abdur Rahim

by Rajneel Totaram -
Picture of Moodle HQ
"Themes can also be based on parent themes with only few customizations." and "Most theme developers simply add a few changes to their new theme by basing it on an existing one" have similar meanings.

You can use an existing theme as the base (parent) and create a new child theme. This child theme will inherit all the styles and properties of the parent theme. This is the main benefits of having a parent theme. The child theme only needs to focus on the customisations it wishes to add. It will inherit the other styles from this parent theme.

Usually Boost or Classic are used as parent themes (since they are part of Moodle core), but any other theme can also serve as a parent theme. Even a child theme can be a parent for a new theme.

In reply to Abdur Rahim

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Licencing depends on the licence of the parent theme.

To answer 'In the document, I also found a point that "Most theme developers simply add a few changes to their new theme by basing it on an existing one" so can you also explain this point' - which document did you read? If in the Moodle docs, then there should be a history that identifies when that was added and by whom, then you're in a position to ask them.