Adaptable for Moodle 4.1 updated

Adaptable for Moodle 4.1 updated

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I have updated the Adaptable theme for Moodle 4.1 as follows:

Release 401.1.7 for Moodle 4.1 version 2022112800.00 (Build: 20221128) and above within the 4.1 branch until the next release:

with (since V401.1.5):

1. Add 'courseactivitynavigationenabled' setting in 'Courses' tab (changed from 'Course Formats') to turn on / off activity navigation.  Disabled by default.
  2. Fix "Spelling mistakes in 'theme_adaptable | responsivesectionnav'" - #14.
  3. Fix 'Front Page Course Limited to 20' - ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=450609.
  4. Fix 'Option to default right drawer to open for guests' - #16.
  5. Removed social wall format (https://moodle.org/plugins/format_socialwall/versions) as last known version was for Moodle 3.3.
  6. Add theme version of FontAwesome 6.4.2 from Foundation theme.
  7. Fix 'Dragging a block results in an unknown block region error'.
  8. Fix 'Grader report headings not sticky' - ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=451315S.
  9. Add the ability to show the marketing blocks when 'Logged out', 'Logged in' or 'Logged in or out', 'marketingvisible' setting.
  10. Improved alert dismissal functionality.  The alert key only needs to change when the content does not.
  11. Corrected alert information that incorrectly stated that it was possible to restrict alerts to the front page.
  12. Move the 'Alerts', 'Category Headers', 'Login', 'My courses', 'News ticker', 'Tools menu', 'Tracking' and 'User profile' functionality to a separate 'Local Adaptable' plugin.  This has been an extremely difficult decision to make - please read 'Changes.md' for more information.
  13. Fix as much as possible URL's in strings - ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=446353.
  14. Fix long student names in the grade book - ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=447234.
  15. Fix 'Sidebars cannot be closed with sticky navbar' - ref: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_adaptable/issues/8.
  16. Fix 'columns1 layout issue' - ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=446487#p1800161.
  17. Fix 'Block marketing - images' - #12.
  18. Fix 'Missing content region on dashboard'.
  19. Add link in the navbar to the 'My courses' page, with setting 'enablemycourses', not to be confused with the 'My courses' menu 'enablemysites'.
  20. Fix margin on 'Course overview' block has header buttons not lining up, fix is good but may impact on other unknown elements as removed style is too global in effect.
  21. Put back activity navigation.
  22. Add new setting 'slidervisible' to state when the slider should be shown, being one of 'Logged out', 'Logged in' or 'Logged in or out'.
  23. Re-fix use of $CFG->themedir for when it exists but Adaptable is still in the basedir - #273.
  24. Fix header search area too large.

This release could contain bugs and so I strongly recommend that you check on a test server first!  Not sure how to set one up?  Then look at the 'Installer packages' on https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/. Ensure that you have multiple backups of all data before using.  Please report any issues. i.e. 'bugs' with this release ONLY here.  Before doing so please read 'Reporting issues' on the 'Information' tab on the theme 'Settings' under 'Site administration' -> 'Appearance' -> 'Adaptable'.

If you find this post useful, then please mark it so.

Thank you,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Adaptable for Moodle 4.1 updated

by Mihail Omelin -
Dear Gareth, hello.

Please, clarify the point #12. 
  1. How can one get this 'Local Adaptable' plugin?
  2. Will all the mentioned functionalities merely disappear from the settings menu after update (if the 'Local Adaptable' plugin is not installed)?
  3. In such case what happens with before made settings (when using previous versions of the theme)?
Thanks.

In reply to Mihail Omelin

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Mihail,

As you're asking and as this is in response to a post, then now I can be (according to the rules) commercial:

1. By being a sponsor of the theme. Please contact me using the details that come with the theme.
  2. The settings are there but they have been deactivated. The code that employs them has been moved and improved to the 'Local Adaptable' plugin.
  3. In the previous version, in this case V401.1.5, the code is still there. However, none of the improvements / fixes implemented since V401.1.5 will be there.
Pragmatically, this has been an incredibly difficult decision to make. But if you, the users, want Adaptable to continue then I need your financial support. The information page on the settings for the theme has stated this for ages. I'm now left with no option but to use this methodology and simply cannot go on supporting for free. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. I'm self employed and need to earn a living to survive.

Regards,

Gareth

by Rob Oudendijk -
Gareth,

How is your funding organized, and what is needed to get V4.3 working?

Now I have a very unhappy client and I like to resolve the issue. If there is a possibility for other people to organize/update the code with your help. Then you do not have to spend a lot of time on releasing the next version. I can look into that with the developers I know.

Warm regards,
Rob Oudendijk
In reply to Rob Oudendijk

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Speaking from experience... most developers welcome pull requests,(I know Gareth does, we've sent some his way ourselves).. but you mention a "client" who is obviously paying for your time.

Don't expect Gareth to provide his time for free to keep your client happy - that also means if you send him a big pull request, don't expect him to spend time for free reviewing it and including it in his codebase. If you want guarantees, get your client to pay Gareth for his time... they(and you) have got the plugins so far for free.

Take a look.at his profile/github etc, plenty of options for you to reach out and get information on his rates if you're able to fund something.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Rob Oudendijk -
Dan,

Thank you for the explanation. As a professional developer, not being able to get funding before major updates from Moodle is a must, if you want to be serious about your work. Otherwise, I think you should not try to make a living on something and give it for free and if it breaks, you have to get your funding together
for payment for the fixing. That is my limited option. In a professional world, I think I will soon lose all my clients if I worked that way.

Warm regards,
Rob Oudendijk
In reply to Rob Oudendijk

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Rob,

To answer your comments:

• In the Support.md file I have "Adaptable is based upon the popular BCU theme, developed for Coventry University.  Since the main developer decided to leave the project, I (Gareth) was asked to assist in maintenance and improvements.  Coventry University has now moved away from Moodle and passed the project onto me to manage as its lead.  I will keep the theme alive, maintained and supported for as long as there is a willingness to fund my time to do so.  The theme is complex and takes time, skill, knowledge and talent to develop.  This is why I'm asking for your financial support in my endeavours."
  • I'm not asking for people to fund me to fix my bugs.  Indeed, I have a very high standard (after 40 years of programming) and kick myself when I spot my mistakes, which I then fix and release.  What I do have an issue with is an expectation that I should fix other mistakes, provide free support and continue to provide updates.
  • I will consider assistance / help / improvements but at the same time I'm more than capable of creating the M4.3 version, its just due to circumstances I've not been able to do so yet.
  • On the point of major updates, I have in the past sought funding and still do so when I reply to the "When will X.Y version be available?" question.  However, aside from the existing sponsors of whom I'm grateful too, often the answer is along the lines of 'Sorry, we can't afford to pay you but will wait until it happens (for free)'.  Therefore I do consider that I've been left with no choice but to use this standard free / sponsored version with more functionality business model.
  • Regarding "If there is a possibility for other people to organize/update the code with your help.", thank you for your kind offer, but I'm more than capable of doing so myself and have no issues about asking for help if I do.
  • Regarding "Then you do not have to spend a lot of time on releasing the next version", I don't accept that as you never really appreciate how long a bespoke software update can take until you actually do the work and then address the issues that arise after release.  Yes, you can estimate and give a ball park figure after you've spent time looking at it, then by the time you've spent 30 / 40% of the time, then you have a better idea of what the 90%+ will be.
  • Regarding "and what is needed to get V4.3 working?", please see the 'note' on https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=452147#p1817067.
  • Pragmatically, looking forward, Adaptable will need much more work to bring it up to date with the API changes and practices if it is to survive.  It might be, just like the Grid format, that the 'refactoring' process would be considered longer and more time consuming than a re-write with the methodology of progressively taking the old code / functionality and adding it back in bit by bit knowing that it's actually wanted.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Rob Oudendijk -
Gareth,

Thank you for the detailed information.

Looking forward to seeing the 4.3 update happening. In the meantime, I have my clients switch to another theme. (they seem to like and can work with it, all tough not as nice and flexible and changeable as adaptable, that too.)

Warm regards,
rob Oudendijk

by Ferdy Alexander Morales Mendez -
Hello Gareth, I want to tell you that I appreciate your effort and understand the difficult decision you have made. However, it has been difficult for me to know how I can obtain the functionalities that are only for sponsors, obviously I know that I must be one, but how can I be one and thus be able to have the rest of the functionalities?
In reply to Ferdy Alexander Morales Mendez

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Ferdy,

All of my contact details are in the theme's Support.md file and shown on the theme setting's 'Information' tab.

Gareth

by Pedro Montero Rodríguez -

Dear Gareth,
I was trying to contact you, but I couldn't find a way to do so, not even in the Support.md file. The only one, on Twitter and it wouldn't let me send you a message. I would like to see how to become a sponsor to activate these functions.
In reply to Pedro Montero Rodríguez

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Pedro,

The information really is on the 'theme setting's 'Information' tab and in the Support.md file.

Gareth

by Shaan Shah -
Thanks Gareth for updated version, it is working fine now.

For point 12, completely understand your point. This might create some additional work for me, but that is how things are smile