Web access not working

Web access not working

by Dark Duck -
Number of replies: 2
Good Day

I am trying to launch a server, it is hosted localled and webservices have been enabled.
I am running ubuntu 22.04 lts and Moodle 4.3
php 8
at this stage I am running purely on external IP with intention to apply a domain later

When I log in locally (192.x.x.x/moodle) I can access and fiddle with the server
When I remote in via web it times out
if I go to just the external IP I get the apache2 Default page

If I change the /var/apache/html to the moodle directory - the page will not load.

I feel I have missed a very simple step, at this stage I have not done the opcache as that also seems to break the server. any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dark Duck

Re: Web access not working

by Dark Duck -
I will note that I can remotely SSH and FTP into the server.

I have setup a subdomain that points to the ip of my home server (public static IP)
In reply to Dark Duck

Re: Web access not working

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
webservices isn't needed for a computer browser to access a moodle site.  webservices intended for mobile support.

From your description, sounds like you have a Ubuntu server (where moodle code/application) resides in a private network ... 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255.   That's a private IP meant for local LAN or private WAN access only.   That network and any server on that network cannot be accessed from public internet without a boundary firewall set up to allow a mapped public IP address which you control  to a private IP address.

All that to say .... networking comes before application ... and your issue is one of networking ... not necessarily moodle ... although config.php and wwwurl do come into play ... your moodle is the end point.

Please see and read:
https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/how-to-install-apache2
then
https://docs.moodle.org/403/en/Masquerading
(networking)

'SoS', Ken