Moodle Server giving 'The connection has timed out errors"..at particular time

Moodle Server giving 'The connection has timed out errors"..at particular time

by Binoy Chacko -
Number of replies: 5
Hi we have around four Moodle servers running various instance of Moodle. I have been monitoring the servers using Uptimerobot program. I have set the monitor to check every 5 minutes. Got alerts that the 'Connection has time out error' Through server analytics provided by the hosting provider noticing the following.  RAM usage is spiking. Any idea what is going on? Could be a CRON job, if it is a CRON job, how can avoid  thisServer Spike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Binoy Chacko

Re: Moodle Server giving 'The connection has timed out errors"..at particular time

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Connection can time out if the server is really busy-- if you're using shared hosting, perhaps something else is making the server busy. Or is there some backup process that takes over for a while?
If moodle is all the server is doing, and if you know that any system backups (db etc) aren't causing moodle downtime, you can check moodle's own task logs to see what's happening, and if any tasks are taking a long time -- but that in itself shouldn't prevent connections.
In reply to Gregor McNish

Re: Moodle Server giving 'The connection has timed out errors"..at particular time

by Binoy Chacko -
Thanks for the prompt response. Any particular location where I can look to check the task logs?
In reply to Binoy Chacko

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Use Site Admin search box for 'task'.   Should appear close to the bottom of what is returned.   Also suggest turning on 'Site Admin Bookmarks' and bookmark areas of admin that you've had to tweak to be able to find the quickly should you need to tweak some more or revert back.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Binoy Chacko

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Never came across UptimerRobot. Sounds like a very practical thing. Apparently it monitors many indexes - not only uptime. Now in this graph what does it measure, the percentage of what? Do the peaks there coincide with the connection timeouts you get?

There is no vertical grid to have a careful look, do you say that the peaks have a time pattern, say so many minutes past the hour?

What is the machine, a VPS? a dedicated server? Does it do anything else other than running the four Moodle instances?

P.S. Could be a topic for the Hardware and performance forum in the long run. Pl. don't re-post, the moderator might move the whole discussion.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Binoy Chacko -
Thanks Uptimerobot https://uptimerobot.com/  send me alerts if the website is unreachable. I am currently using the free version. Paid version has bit more features.