Course Group - How to Configure so Non-Editing Teacher only sees participants of his or her group?

Course Group - How to Configure so Non-Editing Teacher only sees participants of his or her group?

by Mike Smith -
Number of replies: 3
Dear Moodle Experts,

So I have Vicky as the non-editing teacher of the course CSC108H. In this course I have a group called Special Group and Vicky, Bruce and Steve (Bruce and Steve are students) are in it (see the red box in the below attached screenshot),  while Alex, Bill and Wanda (all 3 are students) are in another group called Regular (see orange box in the screenshot).

For non-editing teacher, I have set Access All Groups in Define Roles for non-editing teacher to prevent.

However, in Activity Completion list, I can still see all the participants. Also, I can see all the participants in Participants list.

Therefore, what should I do if I want Vicky, a non-editing teacher, to see only the participants of her course group in all the reporting and list, such as Activity Completion list and Participants list.

Thanks!

Mike

Same groups but can see all participants?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Smith

Re: Course Group - How to Configure so Non-Editing Teacher only sees participants of his or her group?

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Mike,

The Non-editing teacher (teacher) role should have the corresponding permission (moodle/site:accessallgroups) configured as 'Not set'. If set to 'Allow' in the role, a user can see any and all groups in the context they are, regardless of their group membership(s), as can be read in the Moodle Docs here: https://docs.moodle.org/403/en/Capabilities/moodle/site:accessallgroups

You should check if you have a course level group setting set to visible or separate groups. From your screenshot, I gather the groups are only used in certain activities, but not at course level.
In reply to Joost Elshoff

Re: Course Group - How to Configure so Non-Editing Teacher only sees participants of his or her group?

by Mike Smith -
Hi Joost,

Thank you for your reply. Regarding "You should check if you have a course level group setting set to visible or separate groups. From your screenshot, I gather the groups are only used in certain activities, but not at course level.", I want this Special Group to view and use all the activities but their non-editing teachers of this Special Group can only see their participants of this Special Group, meaning the non-editing teachers can only see the their participants in Activity Completion and Participants pages.

I need to make it happen because we have several groups at my university that the students are using the same material (activities and resources) but they take classes at different time, meaning I need to divide them to different groups. Each group has a TA (non-editing teacher) that mark their activities, such as mark activities' completion.

All the activities you see in my screenshot are in the course that participants in Special Group and participants not in Special Group can view and complete.

Please advice how I can make it possible.

Thank you!

Mike
In reply to Mike Smith

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hey Mike,
By enabling "Visible Groups" or "Separate Groups" in your Course Settings, this simply adds "group filter" into every activity, into all gradebooks, and into all reports -- it's the only way to get these filters to appear outside of activities. This won't prevent users/groups from using those activities (provided you leave the "Default grouping" as "None"), it will just allow filters to appear in the activities for the teachers to see. Then, based on the permissions your teachers have, they will only see users in groups they are in (unless they are allowed to see all groups).

Once you change your course setting's Group Mode to either Visible groups (this allows teachers to see that other groups exist in the drowndown menu filters but they wont be able to see the users within it unless they have the permission) or Separate groups (this prevents teachers from seeing groups in the dropdown menu filters that they are not in), then log back in as Vicky and see if you are getting the behavior you desire in the Activity Completion report.
Attachment Group Mode at Course Level.png
Average of ratings: Useful (3)