Error after modifying a course

Error after modifying a course

by Cathia Dirath -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

Our intranet is hosted on our internal server (Microsoft Azure). We use Moodle 3.11+.

Our site was custom-built by a former employee, I wouldn't take the risk today of making any updates for fear of our system becoming unstable.

I don't yet have the knowledge to handle a possible "meltdown" 😄. I'm a regular Wordpress user and know all too well the risks of an uncontrolled update.

My skills are still sketchy when it comes to Moodle, but I'm learning.

Anyway... I've come to ask for your help with a surprising problem.

We have a number of courses on our in-house e-learning platform (run mainly under Rise and Storyline).

We have a complete course which consists of an aggregation and organization of existing courses to offer a knowledge path.

This course has its own ID

Last month, I've added another course to this training. 

This course is an update of an older course. I've just replaced the content, which means I can keep the old ID.

So far, so good. The course page was displaying the new course as well.

Except that for sorting reasons in the general course catalog (sorting by ID), I realized that this new course, with this old ID, couldn't go up.

So I duplicated this course to generate one with a new ID, which allowed this course to be at the top of the catalog proposals.

That's where my mistake came from (out of ignorance of Moodle principles):

I deleted the old course without first deleting it from the training page, which still calls it. As a result, I can't access the course page in its editable version.  

I can live with it. 

What bother me the most is that the personal dashboard (/my) is broken too now (see the attached screenshot)

I have no idea how to debug this situation. The french community couldn't help me with this issue until now.

Can you please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Cathia

Attachment Capture erreur Moodle 2024-03-13 152658.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cathia Dirath

Re: Error after modifying a course

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The errors in your screenshot above, and this one in the French forum, both involve non-standard blocks: block_manager_resultsoverview and block_formation. These aren't part of core Moodle, nor are they available from the Plugins directory. Maybe the former employee wrote these, or maybe they came from some third party. Either way it looks like these plugins may be causing the errors, but since we don't have the source code we cannot provide much help.

Possibly if you shared the plugins' source code (for example, by attaching a zip file of the blocks/manager_resultsoverview and blocks/formation subfolders) we may be able to help further. But 1) you may need the permission of the copyright holder to publicly share this source code, and 2) unless the plugins are fairly trivial you may need for more advanced support that the community can provide.

Of course, I could be wrong and the above plugins are not the cause but instead are being affected by the errors.

Except that for sorting reasons in the general course catalog (sorting by ID), I realized that this new course, with this old ID, couldn't go up.

This may be a translation issue, but I think the course catalog is specific to Moodle Workplace which is only available with commercial support. Maybe you mean course category?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Leon Stringer

Re: Error after modifying a course

by Cathia Dirath -
Hello Leon,

Sorry for not responding at your feedback sooner, I feeled defeated by Moodle (I'm a Wordpress girl) big grin

But this morning I looked up again to your message and the key was in your first phrase : "non-standard blocks: block_manager_resultsoverview and block_formation".

I deativated the plugin "block_manager_resultsoverview", just to see, and the magic happened. Problem solved without any other impact elsewhere (I can see at least).

I still don't understand the first issue but I can live with that.

Sometimes, some issues needs to be put aside for a while.

So thank you very much for your help