Offset grades not displaying to students

Offset grades not displaying to students

by William Reeves -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

I applied an offset to an assessment via the gradebook setup. Once applied, the grades are what I want them to be when viewed via the Grader Report. The original grades remain when viewed via the assessment itself or via grades. When visible, the students are seeing the original grade and not the offset grade. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I want them to see the offset grade and cannot seem to figure out how to do it!

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Best,

Bill
In reply to William Reeves

Re: Offset grades not displaying to students

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Bill,

Unfortunately offset grades not displaying to students in an assignment seems to be a bug. It's also a problem for students in quizzes, as mentioned in MDL-57848.

If you have chance, please create a new issue in the Moodle Tracker for it.

In reply to Helen Foster

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
As much as I'd also like to see this implemented, I do understand why they chose not to implement it (pushing gradebook offsets/multipliers back into the assignment/quiz to be visible there). So as a work around, when I would add offsets/multipliers via the gradebook due to a bad quiz question or such, I would also add feedback into the "overall feedback" area to let students know to check the gradebook for the revised score as the quiz itself would stil display the original score). The pain point is that you cannot leave feedback for Quizzes as easily as you can for assignments (i.e. you have to edit the Quiz settings to add that feedback there and then remember to remove that feedback down the road). But again, this all makes sense as if a student asked why they had a certain score, it would be pretty impossible to determine without going into the gradebook setup to see if there's an offset/multipler there adjusting the score...
In reply to John Provasnik

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks John for sharing your workaround. Yes

I did wonder whether showing offset grades in activities is too tricky to implement due to the way grades are handled in the gradebook compared to within activities. 🤔