MoodleApp compatible image rotator without a plugin

MoodleApp compatible image rotator without a plugin

by Josh Manders -
Number of replies: 0
I've hit my frustration tipping point with trying to get what I see as standard interactive elements to display through the app. We have a paid version for basic customization (CSS + branding) but aren't in the position (nor do we desire to) build and deploy our own custom app.

Basic need: show a specific static image + text "teaser" or card layout on the site home page that automatically changes depending on where we are in the term/semester. You know... basic promotional advertising.

Things I've tried:
  • Javascript: This would be my first choice but either I'm not able to find documentation on the java libraries available and/or can't initialize the most simplest of javascript functions within an inline <script> such as:
    var date = new Date(); document.getElementById("p1").innerHTML = date;
  • H5P: I went down this road thinking maybe I could smash something together and have a nice way to edit and create the content for the widget. However, the embedded H5P in the mobile app doesn't automatically play(unless it's an activity).
  • IonicFramework/CSS: I can create graphical elements but can't create any of the logic behind displaying it. Yes, I could use moodle's restrict access settings and make 10 separate label blocks on the homepage but that's ridiculously messy and causes other problems with updating the dates every term.
  • iframe + external system: my last attempt. According to ionic folks, generally not a great approach — but I'll do it if it works. Height with responsive size = always a pain in the butt (especially when the app isn't liking the javascript I put in front of it). Cross-website tracking is enabled by default on iOS devices which will prevent most of the content from loading (unless internal in Moodle). Skimming as much information as I can, it appears the app maybe uses Cordova-in-app-browser to render. Limited testing = works for for an embedded google form.
I'm aware there's a couple plugins that might be able to do what I'm after because the plugin developers have some additional scripting baked in. However, we are locked out of installing any new plugins from our host (OpenLMS).

I'm open for any/all creative suggestions or reality check condolences. 🤕
Average of ratings: -