Audio player problem in iOS devices

Audio player problem in iOS devices

by Ines Schilling -
Number of replies: 5

Hello everybody smile

Uploaded and embedded sound files (*.mp3) can't be played by the Moodle player properly in mobile iOS devices (neither iPad nor iPhone; iOS 13.5.1, but same problem before the last update) 

The audio is useless because the play button "doesn't hold" - when you tap it, it plays only a very, very short sequence (maybe 0.2 seconds) and stops. If you keep tapping, it goes through the whole recording like that (plays one ultra-short snippet after the other). 
Very, very occasionally and randomly the audio can unexpectedly be played as a whole, but then it is impossible to pause or stop it in the player (only stops after leaving the section). 

This issue occurs in all activities/resources I've set up for my students: assignments, lessons, quizzes, pages, books and labels, so I guess it is a problem with the (set-up of the) text editor in general. 

It works fine in my browsers (Safari, Firefox) and Moodle Desktop (on Mac).

I have tried additionally uploading alternative sound files (e.g. *.aac, *.ogg) but that doesn't make any difference. 

Please help!

P.S. This problem has been reported by two other moodlers https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=405454#p1636598 , but the thread has produced no answers, so I'm taking it here as I believe this category is more promising. I hope this is ok.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ines Schilling

Re: Audio player problem in iOS devices

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Ines,

I just tested this with a couple of mp3 files and it seems to be working fine for me in iPad. Maybe it's a problem with the codecs of the audio file. Can you please check if you're able to play that audio in the Safari browser of the same iPhone/iPad?

Cheers,
Dani
In reply to Dani Palou

by Ines Schilling -
Dear Dani,

thanks so much for your reply smile The audios always worked in iOS Safari, but right after your post, I tried them in Moodle mobile on the iPhone and iPad again, and the weird thing is that now suddenly everything works on my side, too. After it hadn't for so long, the only explanation I have is that the bug fixes that were applied last week might have done the trick?

Best,
Ines

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Wow, I'm glad to hear they're working again, but it's weird that it was "magically" fixed. The 3.9.1 release didn't include anything that could affect this AFAIK, but the 3.9.0 release did.
In reply to Dani Palou

by Ines Schilling -
Oh, ok, then it could have been 3.9.0. That must have come out around the time of my first post. I admit I hadn't tried again since then, after trying rather long and often before. So sorry that I didn't catch up on that before and to have bothered you unnecessarily. Thanks again for your help smile

by Estelle Gill -
I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this read aloud a webpage in Safari on your iPhone. There are two main ways to fix the issue:-

1. Using Speak Screen:-

• Enable Speak Screen:-

-Go to Settings > Accessibility.

-Tap on Spoken Content.

-Toggle Speak Screen on.

• Read the webpage:-

-Open Safari and navigate to the webpage you want to hear.

-Swipe down from the top of the screen with two fingers to activate Speak Screen.

2. Using the "Listen to Page" feature:-

• Open the webpage: Launch Safari and open the webpage you want to be read aloud.
  • Activate "Listen to Page":

-Tap the aA icon in the address bar.

-Select Listen to Page from the menu. Follow more details instruction below.