What's wrong with Moodle? (Can't install anywhere)

What's wrong with Moodle? (Can't install anywhere)

by Abraham Malpica -
Number of replies: 7

How do you do?

I want to install the last version of Moodle locally in my Windows 11 PC, but I can't see any way to do so, because XAMPP does not have the required MariaDB version, and even in the last Ubuntu version, I get one error (it can't find MySQLi even after I enable it).

Neither in SmarterASP works…

So, how do people even install Moodle nowadays?

Please, I would appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abraham Malpica

Re: What's wrong with Moodle? (Can't install anywhere)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Welcome to open source!   Always an 'adventure'!

You are basically asking an 'opinion' ... so ... here goes my 2 cents:

No Windows!   Period!   Full Stop!

Linux - you have options and choices to make ...

When one chooses a distro - Ubuntu/Debian/RedHat/Rocky/AlmaLinux - at first your
resource for key software is the distributor of the distro.

But it doesn't mean you can't use other repos that, IMHO, might be better if one considers 'elimination of the middleman'!   With that thought in mind:

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/repo/yum/

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-package-repository-setup-and-usage/

To use direct repos, one will probably have to remove MySQL or MariaDB first, then install the repo of your choice, and acquire version needed.

'Spirit of Sharing' (SoS),
Ken
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I am not aware that nowadays are different. I install Moodle since late 2004 (no typo) following the steps in one of the Unix_or_Linux_Installation documentation. Moodle is a web *application*. One installs Moodle on top of an existing operating system. Therefore the instructions depend very much on the "platform". See Category:Installation for a choice.

You know that Windows desktop OSes are not made for servers. Microsoft server series are called Windows 2016 Server, Windows 2022 Server, etc. Sorry, no clue how they work. I hope a Windows admin will come to help.

One thing: You can't be hopping operating systems one installs something without a fuss. A server application runs for years and over time you get users. You have to know your system inside out to support it.

P.S. I see that you've spent full 15 minutes on moodle.org. Don't get frustrated, these things need time.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There is a thing in recent windows called WSL https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install which might be of help.
In reply to Marcus Green

Thanks, yes, it is missing in Category:Installation. Still OP needs to make a decision whether to install "unix-like" (Linux distros and WSL too) or Windows native (MSSQL, IIS, for example) or to go XAMPP (the Windows package in https://download.moodle.org/ is XAMPP I think) or ...

After saying that the original statement of the OP, "Can't install anywhere" make me scratch my head.
smile

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Abraham Malpica -
Hello,

I can not believe it! There is one hyperlink called “Moodle installer package for Windows” in the download center of Moodle… Clearly, that installer package solves my issue, I blame myself for not reading the page as I should have done, I apologize.

BUT! Why XAMPP is not offering that superior version that Moodle provides in his installer package for Windows?

Just, why?…

Either way, thanks to you all!

I'm not a Windows person. If you could describe what the "superior version that Moodle provides in his installer package for Windows", a Windows person would help.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Unless things have recently changed, the Moodle Installer actually doesn't offer the correct version of MySQL (or MariaDB). The installer somewhat "tricks," or bypasses, the database version issue. You can do the same thing if you know a little about Moodle.

You should be fine for a while.

See posts surrounding https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=452306#p1817674 for more discussion about this issue.