403 forbidden error

403 forbidden error

by murugan m -
Number of replies: 6
moodle 4.3.3

Hello,
I have installed moodle 4.3.3 successfully through softaculous. But I got the following error message.
"403 forbidden"
Permission for the folders is 755 and files is 644 only.
How to resolve this either using softaculous or cpanel?
My thanks in advance.

Attachment accessdenied.jpg
Attachment accesspermission.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to murugan m

Re: 403 forbidden error

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Uhhh ... then you did not really install successfully.

These forums are for moodle support ... not Softaculous/cPanel support.

Suggest, since you used Softaculous (a closed source commercial product for which you actually pay) use their Ticket System ... link can be found in upper hand corner of the Softac screens.

Or:

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to murugan m

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
403 Forbidden pages can be caused by a WAF like ModSecurity. If you have this you may be able to disable it in cPanel and see if the pages load. If they do you'll need to find out how to configure ModSecurity to work with your site – leaving this disabled will remove the additional security this provides. See also this thread and this thread.
In reply to Leon Stringer

by Suzanne Goodfellow -
Remember to clear the cache on your browser before every sign in attempt.
Make sure the Moodle versions and plugins are compatible (regarding versions).  I used Bluehost and changed to a new hosting company (because bluehost was unresponsive), did the above and hot rid of my 493 error.
In reply to murugan m

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Looks like you've mixed files/folders - some moodle code ... many are not.
In cPanel, do a search for something unique to moodle code ... config-dist.php file comes to mind.    If found, you might find more than one (I see a moodle3.1 directory in screen shot), note the directory that it is in.    Look in that directory for a version.php file.   View that file and it will show version of Moodle code.

In other words, you have a mess ... since the site appears to be pointed to public_html (document root for hosting), no browser can find an index.php file - thus you get 403 forbidden because your apache server will not show raw directory listings.

'SoS', Ken