Upgrading directions from 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226)

Upgrading directions from 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226)

by Stavros Grigorakakis -
Number of replies: 19
Hello friends
Please forgive my confusion.
We have  the 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226)   version 2021051705.10  (data from version.php)

Some questions

1-What is the meaning of  + plus and how is this  version compared to the 3.11.18   2021051718 which i find in this link

2-has my 3.11.5+ been updated to the latest security fixes up to 11 dec2023 as it is mentioned for all 3.11.x versions and 3.11.18?

3-Can i manually upgrade from CLI to 3.11.18 or there will be trouble . I am asking because the webinterface does not give me that option and sends me directly to 4.0

Thank you again  forgive my confusion.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stavros Grigorakakis

Re: Upgrading directions from 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
We'll start by answering specifically your questions ...

1. What is the meaning of  + plus and how is this  version compared to the 3.11.18 ...
The + indicates a minor point release ... not to 3.11.6 ... but a step in the right direction.
Your 3.11.5+ is 13 point releases behind.

2. No.

3 - Can i manually upgrade from CLI to 3.11.18 or there will be trouble

You should be able to without trouble as long as there are no issues with addons/additional plugins ... themes are plugins ... so *if* you are going to 'march' your moodle upwards, I would do 2 things before beginning - and in order:

1. add the following like to your config.php file:
$CFG->theme='boost';
That forces the site to use the boost theme.  Boost comes with every version of moodle above what you have right now.
2.  Make a full site backup ... that's a tar ball of code, and a tar ball of minimally moodledata/filedir/ + a DB dump to an sql file the DB for your moodle.

I would also download those to local machine.

That 'web interface' you mentioned ... is that 'Softaculous' or some other installer?

My advice ... don't use ... it's not intelligent enough for the job at hand!

'SoS', Ken

by Ken Task -
Part 2 ... you can do right now ...
Login as admin user.   Go to Server -> Environment and update the component.
Then use the moodle version drop down pick list and pick any higher version.
When the screen refreshes you will see a chart with what you have compared to what you need.

Take notes to a local text file.

Depending upon where and how you are hosted, plus OS version and availability of newer PHP + extensions and MySQL/MariaDB server version you might be looking at a migration as well.

Another reference:

You mention command line ... one doesn't have to be a guru but a moodle can be marched rather easily IF ... IF ... your first steps to the highest 3.11.18 is done via Git.

So do you have 'clas' ... 'command line avoidance syndrome'?   Sorry ... have to ask ... and it's best if you are totally honest with yourself! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Thank you Ken for your time. I will answer all your questions.

First of all a quick added questions.  (bold to easily spot them)
Can i go from 3.11.5+ to 3.11.18 in one step using the source procedure?

now to your questions. I am the linux administrator hosting web applications. so i definitely prefer command line jobs. My partner uses the backend and controls moodle .
Our problem is that (to save me from extra work) she did update it as you proposed from inside the moodle backend from version 3.9 LTS to this one peculiar one 3.11.5+.

Now all things went ok.. until we realized that 3.11.5+ does not go up further to 3.11.18 with the same mechanism and proposes only a step to 4.0 that i cannot host right now . So that is why i asked if i could do it using command line procedure to at least go to 3.11.18.
Of course there comes another question..

Why 3.11.5+ can to go up to 3.11.18 using the mechanism you just described?
(perhaps the answer is that 3.11.18 has ended and it proposes only supported versions . But it should give us the chance to upgrade to all intermediate versions). So i guess it is a kind of malfunction there.

Furthermore , reading the note that "all 3.11.x versions " receive security updates until dec 2023 we were left assured that we are in no danger for any vulnerability of 3.11.x (x as a wildcard including 5+) untill dec 2023

Lastly , yes we are pilot moving to 4.3 but we need a different OS. We are currently hosting urgently scheduled online exams on the existing setup . Our moving to 4.3+ is scheduled for summer on a new server.

I hope this clarifies everything

Thank you again Ken

Ri: Re: Upgrading directions from 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226)

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, Moodle 3.11.x support ends in December 2023, sadly now we are in February 2024 …
In reply to Sergio Rabellino

Re: Ri: Re: Upgrading directions from 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226)

That Sergio would be good news
But i have 2 contradicted replies.
Ken wrote that 3.11.5+ has less security fixes than 3.11.18 . You imply that it doesnot.
both of them ended security support in dec 2023 as you correctly say.

Yes i know it is february 2024. yet no new CVE has been published since oct2023
in fact the latest published CVE 10/2023 concerned 4.3 alone.

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Upgrading directions from 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226)

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Upgrading minor version it’s usually without panic, so yes, upgrade to latest minor (3.11.18) asap, as per ken’s suggestion.
By now there are no new security flaws (CVEs) known, but if they will  appear, they will not be officially fixed, so you should consider the next step, upgrading to a supported 4.x release, or preparing yourself on backporting the newly discovered fixes for new vulnerabilities manually (if can be done).

Re: Ri: Re: Upgrading directions from 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The contradiction is just nomenclature. 3.11 (two numbers) is a Moodle *version*. Versions get fixes, 3.11.5, 3.11.6,.. (three numbers) which are called *releases*. Fixing a release doesn't make sense - it it out, released!
wink

by Ken Task -
"Can i go from 3.11.5+ to 3.11.18 in one step using the source procedure?"

Yes, you can with git.

"we realized that 3.11.5+ does not go up further to 3.11.18 with the same mechanism and proposes only a step to 4.0 that i cannot host right now"

Sounds like one of those 'one click wonders' was used in the past.  While they normally do ok on initial install, they tend to fail on upgrades.   Best to use git and command line ...  period!

In prep for this minor update to 3.11.highest ... do four things:

1. check the addons currently installed (themes are addons) to see if they have a future on your site.    Check the addons versions in Moodle.org plugins site.  Comment: a plugin should not be a show stopper for your march.

Add a line to config.php for marching upwards so you can avoid theme issues upon upgrades:   $CFG->theme='boost';
Right now you could enter that line and then comment it out so as not to disrupt your upcoming testing.   Later, when you begin marching, make that line active.

2. do full site backup from command line - archive of code, DB dump, and minimally moodledata/filedir. - discovered that GUI backup software used uses zip's and some don't backup all that needs to be backed up.

3. Start planning your 'march' ... Site Admin -> Server -> Environment - update component.
Choose any higher version of Moodle in drop down pick list and make note of what it says is needed for PHP version + php extensions, DB version and compatibility for utf8mb4.

Do the upgrade and march via git.   I'll send you a url via PM on this system called 'gitify' .. helps you get your current code under git versioning.

As a matter of good practice, it would be wise to clone site if you can and use the clone for testing.  If not a clone (space resources issues) than at least a git installed 3.11.highest dev site to begin with maybe one representative course from production just to have something to check.   Set nomail ever just in case.

You've not mentioned this but now is a time to ask ... what OS is server?  And is it near EOL?   Reason asked .... if OS is near EOL then you could be looking at a migration and after migration upgrades (am doing one of those right now CentOS 7 -> Rocky 9.   Amazing what I have managed to collect in nearly 20 years using those CentOS 7 servers.)

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Talking of marching forward, the advised route is first upgrade to the latest/final release of the running version, in your case 3.11.18, and think of the next version. Yes, "long jumps" in the third number is allowed, for example 3.11.5 > 3.11.18 is perfectly OK, but not in the second number, for example 3.9.25 > 4.3.3 is not allowed. Ref. the route planer http://www.syndrega.ch/blog/#php-and-dbms-compatibility-of-major-moodle-releases.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Visvanath thank you.

please clarify my hot point which i believe is of most interest.

did
3.11.5+ $version  = 2021051705.10; receive security updates up to dec 2023
as
3.11.18 $version  = 2021051718.00 did?

Thank you all..

by Ken Task -
No, it didn't.
Maybe another example might help ....
Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, and Windows 3.11.
Question: which one is the most updated/'secure' version?
Answer: Windows 3.11.

3.11.5+ $version  = 2021051705.10
did not get the same updates to code + security that
3.11.18 $version  = 2021051718.00 did

Between the .5+ and the highest in that series there is 3.11.6, a 3.11.7, a 3.11.8, a 3.11.9, a 3.11.10, etc. all the way up to the highest 3.11.18 which was 3.11's end of life.

Please see/study:

And, it's always been advised to upgrade to the highest point release in a series *before* upgrading to a higher version.

Hopefully, this will become clearer as you mull it over! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Yes! it is clear.
but please in case you can propose it to moodle site authors.
rephrase those lines form the release pages
https://moodledev.io/general/releases
----------------------------------
Bug fixes for general core bugs in 3.11.x ended 14 November 2022 (12 months plus 6 months extension).
Bug fixes for security issues in 3.11.x ended 11 December 2023 (18 months plus 13 months extension).
-----------------------------------
Only trouble as is... I have posted above a better rephrase.

Many many thanks for your time.

As for your windows question

I can have wixpSP1 and patched with eg .. KB34890
which is included on release in winXPSP2

that i thought was the case that 3.11.5+(that bloody + together with those phrases above ) thought it meant ... rest assure you have all security fixes up to  you download date which was after dec 2023

my mistake ... but those phrases 3.11.x ended security fixes on dec 2023 are really really bad phrases.

by Ken Task -
One more 'added value advice' for when you can ...
Installation of Moosh - a command line only Swiss Army knife for Moodle.
Have to install the version of moosh that's compatible with core moodle.
If you are remotely hosted and the panel used doesn't offer installation of software beyond the 'not to be used one click wonders', you still might be able to install moosh ... and use it.

If you have Terminal, access server via Terminal and at the first prompt, type:
env [ENTER]

Lot's of stuff to look at but look for 'PATH' ... and if at the tail end of PATH you see /home/acountname/bin - see if there is a bin directory - ls -l bin
If there isnt one create it ... mkdir bin [ENTER]
You can install Moosh in your own bin directory and it will work.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Sounds good . i am on my server so i have ssh.
Thank you ken i ll try it
Just for the history... i am commandline maniac.
the one click wonder was not mine smile

Reading all people kind enough to spend some time on my question i noticed the root of the misunderstanding
in
https://moodledev.io/general/releases
phrases like
Bug fixes for security issues in 3.11.x ended 11 December 2023 (18 months plus 13 months extension).

can imply to some people like me that concerning security fixes 3.11.5 ends in dec 2023 as 3.11.18 does
so downloading 3.11.5 at Jan2024 will have all relevant security fixes 3.11.18 has

Which i understand is false. 3.11.5 stoped becoming security patched the moment 3.11.6 released

So maybe a different phrase should be used instead of

Bug fixes for security issues in 3.11 ended 11 December 2023 (18 months plus 13 months extension) with final release 3.11.18

I see that you think the same way: 3.11 is a version, 3.11.5 is a release. A version grows, a release, once released, is frozen. That is the most intuitive thing to me, but I don't know whether it is accepted in the Moodle universe.

Following https://moodledev.io/general/releases/ I found URLs like https://moodledev.io/general/releases/3.11, which contradict my definition of 3.11 (it is a version, not a release). I think I found the source of this confusion: Moodle has the habit of calling the first release, say 3.11.0 just 3.11. So https://moodledev.io/general/releases/ also has URLs like https://moodledev.io/general/releases/3.11.5, which are true releases.

Morale: Zero is not nothing!
wink
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

good point. yes it is clear there is a confusion of version and releases
3.11 is referred in the site at left navigation as a release
and the terrible green box in the body says
3.11.x stops receiving security on Dec 2023.. subtly  implying 3.11.x is a version to my confused mind so my 3.11.5 is again a version and will live until dec2023. My mistake but not all mine.

Thank you

Re: Upgrading directions from 3.11.5+ (Build: 20220226) [CLOSED]

Glad that it helped. Not something we can change backdated, rebranding "releases" 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, ... 4.3 as 1.3.0, 1.4.0, 1.5.0,.. 4.3.0. Let's call this thread CLOSED.