Best Practices for Updating Quiz Content

Best Practices for Updating Quiz Content

by Chris Free -
Number of replies: 2
Hello, 

I have a use case that I'm struggling with and could use some direction. The basic problem is that I want to update a quiz for all future users without deleting past grades or activity completion tracking. 

I manage a few Moodle installs with courses that have quizzes. These environments are more like employee training platforms than schools, so people enroll in and complete these courses on random dates as they are hired - there are not cohorts that enroll together. If the employer wants a change to the quiz, they don't want all of their current employees to lose their records. They also don't want to have two copies of the course. 

We want employees to be able to open the course and see their results whether they took it before or after the update. 

Can you point me to documentation or share some of your experiences with how you've managed to do quiz content updates without running duplicates or deleting student completion data. I feel like their must be a way and I'm just not discovering it. 

Thank you for your help! 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Free

Re: Best Practices for Updating Quiz Content

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
We've run into the same problem. The best I've come up with is to base course completion on grade, not on activity completion. Then it's possible to fiddle the course grade ie -- be the highest of all the quiz results, and only the most up to date quiz would show at any time. So you can get an updated quiz without invalidating previous completion results.
In this case they can't see the quiz they did though you might be able to use activity restrictions and groups if you really wanted to.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Free

Re: Best Practices for Updating Quiz Content

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I wonder whether the latest versioning of questions would handle that. In effect each quiz attempt remembers the version of each question and remain locked to them.