Course Feedback Analytics

Course Feedback Analytics

by Karen Lumley -
Number of replies: 3
    My company has their own Moodle instance and we deliver a large number of courses each year. We have developed our own feedback form so participants can answer several questions regarding the course and additional ones specific to the instructors. We would like to be able to conduct trend analysis across several iterations of the same course. Essentially, look at the responses for each question (i.e. total number of responses for question 1, question 2, question 3 etc.) for each course. Then be able to choose a timeframe or select individual courses we want included in that report. Participants are different for each course so don't need to look at individual responses we just want to be able to determine if certain aspects of the course remain steady while others either increase or decrease over time.  Essentially, X axis = questions, Y axis - total responses for each each question, colour or bars rating i.e. 1- bad, 2-not so bad, etc. and some way to indicate the date of the course either separating by date.

Is there a plugin or process I can use to view this type of information?

Attachment Moodle Forum course Feedback Dashboard.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen Lumley

Re: Course Feedback Analytics

by Andrew Robinson -
The configurable reports plugin will do this (though I exclusively use it for tabular reports so I can't speak to the graph capabilities). Use the Custom SQL option or there is also a library of adhoc reports that you can use or get ideas from. You will have to write a SQL query that gives you the information you need. The basic table joins used are:

from mdl_feedback_completed
join mdl_feedback on mdl_feedback_completed.feedback=mdl_feedback.id
join mdl_course_modules on md_feedback.id=mdl_course_modules.instance and mdl_feedback.course=mdl_course_modules.course
and mdl_course_modules.module=8 -- this number might differ in your system. You can always join to mdl_modules instead
-- join mdl_modules on md_course_modules.module=mdl_modules.id and mdl_modules.name='feedback'
join mdl_feedback_item on mdl_feedback.id=mdl_feedback_item.feedback
join mdl_feedback_value on mdl_feedback_completed.id=mdl_feedback_value.completed and mdl_feedback_item.id=mdl_feedback_value.item

mdl_coursemodules can be joined to mdl_course and then course_category if that is useful.
specific questions across any course, you would just filter the mdl_feedback_item.label='question label'

I'm also speaking from a Moodle 3.9 that was quite heavily customised by previous vendors so I'm not exactly sure how much of our system is the same as everyone elses smile

I hope that helps

Andrew
In reply to Andrew Robinson

by Karen Lumley -
Hey Andrew,
     Thanks or this. Hmmm SQL queries are not my strength, I'm more a python person but I can learn. Problem, I just tried to install the latest version of the plugin but it failed. My company is currently using Moodle 4.3.1 and the plugin says up to v3.11. Could it be it is not compatible with the later version of Moodle. Are there any later versions of this plugin or another plugin available for v4.3?

Thanks Karen
In reply to Karen Lumley

by Andrew Robinson -
Hi Karen, you are right, last release was 3 years ago. There are some people talking about 4.1.2 on this post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=444916 but nothing newer than that. That would definitely be a show stopper for us moving to 4.x

I'm not aware of another plugin, that forum post indicates the 4.x Custom Reports doesn't have the Custom SQL option. Sorry can't be of more help. If you decide to get something else working off the database I'm happy to help with the SQL.

good luck

Andrew