Moodle upgrade 3.11.3 to 4.1.6

Moodle upgrade 3.11.3 to 4.1.6

Test Account
Vastuste arv 4
I am running moodle 3.11 on Lubuntu 20.04 which is running smoothly but now I want to update both moodle version to 4.1.6 and Lubuntu 22.04. I did update my OS and checked moodle 3.11 is running fine or not and thankfully it was running fine. I then upgraded moodle to 4.1.6 according to the documnetation.
  • Copied moodle software folder to another location
  • Copied moodledata folder
  • Copied DB backup which was pgsql in my case
Extracted moodle 4.1.6 in the same location where old moodle software was present and copied config.php file to the new one. I browsed to my page where it showed me plugins requiring attention for 5 of them which were missing from disk.
 I then added additional plugins which in my case was autoenrol under enrol folder, vpl, virtualpc, saml2 and questionnaire under mod folder and restarted the website and page went blank.

I hadn't touched any contents of moodledata folder.
Any help ?
Keskmine hinnang: -
Vastuses Test Account

Re: Moodle upgrade 3.11.3 to 4.1.6

Visvanath Ratnaweera
Particularly helpful Moodlers pilt Translators pilt
Did you do a dist-upgrade? Both (L)ubnutu 20.04 and 22.04 are LTS, right. They support straight OS upgrades from one LTS to the other.

What are the versions of PHP and PgSQL you have now? I assume they are compatible with https://moodledev.io/general/releases/4.1 LTS?

Your description sounds like you have everything under control.

Well, if adding the bunch of plug-ins made the browser page go blank, remove the plug-ins, just move those directories out of the Moodle code tree.

Vastuses Visvanath Ratnaweera

Test Account
Thank you for the reply. Really appreciate.
Yes, Both (L)ubnutu 20.04 and 22.04 are LTS and support straight OS upgrades from one LTS to the other.

PHP version:8.0.3 and PgSQL 12.1(planning to upgrade it to 14.x)

Before your reply, what I did was I updated those plugins to the new, compatible with Moodle 4.1, and pasted these updates in respective directories. Then I went through some steps and the settings page and after landing on the actual application I found that :
1. Some externally added css was missing.
2. The login page had Lost password Hyperlink which was not present in my older version. I did try this piece of code under SIte administration > Appearance > Additional HTML but still the link was appearing.
3. Even the page header had an image which is missing.
Vastuses Test Account

Emma Richardson
Documentation writers pilt Particularly helpful Moodlers pilt Plugin developers pilt
Version 4.0 has a totally different ux and if you are using a custom theme, chances are, if you have a compatible version, it might need to be set up again as it is probably totally different.