Moodle upgrade 3.11.3 to 4.1.6

Moodle upgrade 3.11.3 to 4.1.6

by Test Account -
Number of replies: 4
I am running moodle 3.11 on Lubuntu 20.04 which is running smoothly but now I want to update both moodle version to 4.1.6 and Lubuntu 22.04. I did update my OS and checked moodle 3.11 is running fine or not and thankfully it was running fine. I then upgraded moodle to 4.1.6 according to the documnetation.
  • Copied moodle software folder to another location
  • Copied moodledata folder
  • Copied DB backup which was pgsql in my case
Extracted moodle 4.1.6 in the same location where old moodle software was present and copied config.php file to the new one. I browsed to my page where it showed me plugins requiring attention for 5 of them which were missing from disk.
 I then added additional plugins which in my case was autoenrol under enrol folder, vpl, virtualpc, saml2 and questionnaire under mod folder and restarted the website and page went blank.

I hadn't touched any contents of moodledata folder.
Any help ?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Test Account

Re: Moodle upgrade 3.11.3 to 4.1.6

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Did you do a dist-upgrade? Both (L)ubnutu 20.04 and 22.04 are LTS, right. They support straight OS upgrades from one LTS to the other.

What are the versions of PHP and PgSQL you have now? I assume they are compatible with https://moodledev.io/general/releases/4.1 LTS?

Your description sounds like you have everything under control.

Well, if adding the bunch of plug-ins made the browser page go blank, remove the plug-ins, just move those directories out of the Moodle code tree.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Test Account -
Thank you for the reply. Really appreciate.
Yes, Both (L)ubnutu 20.04 and 22.04 are LTS and support straight OS upgrades from one LTS to the other.

PHP version:8.0.3 and PgSQL 12.1(planning to upgrade it to 14.x)

Before your reply, what I did was I updated those plugins to the new, compatible with Moodle 4.1, and pasted these updates in respective directories. Then I went through some steps and the settings page and after landing on the actual application I found that :
1. Some externally added css was missing.
2. The login page had Lost password Hyperlink which was not present in my older version. I did try this piece of code under SIte administration > Appearance > Additional HTML but still the link was appearing.
3. Even the page header had an image which is missing.
In reply to Test Account

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Version 4.0 has a totally different ux and if you are using a custom theme, chances are, if you have a compatible version, it might need to be set up again as it is probably totally different.