First Moodle Installation - Admin user creation???

First Moodle Installation - Admin user creation???

by Unbekannt Mensch -
Number of replies: 10
I installed moodle on my website using cpanel.
I don't recall seeing a place to create an admin user during the wizard. Is this when you create the admin account?

How do I create an admin user without access to login to Moodle??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! For some reason, I can't find the answer using Google searches.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Unbekannt Mensch

Re: First Moodle Installation - Admin user creation???

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
By the term 'wizard' sounds like you have used something provided by hosting to install the moodle from your cPanel.   What is that 'wizard' called?   Screen shot of it?

Here is official docs on how to install:

If following the above, there should have been a screen during the installation that setup the admin user - with information + a password.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Unbekannt Mensch -
Thanks, Ken. Well, I went into my cpanel and installed moodle in a subdomain. When I was installing I was asked a series of questions about set up - setting up SQL passwords and then I went in to make sure cron was running correctly. It must have asked for a user login because I created one and was able to login. I am still curious though, if it is possible to create users in the file structure itself and just put in the profiles in the folder.

I have a follow up, unrelated question though.

If I want to upload a course I downloaded and I upload the mbz file, is there a reason I would get an error that says there is an error with the csv file? I am new to this and not sure what that is about as the course and examples I downloaded are all mbz files. 

Any direction on that would be appreciated!
Attachment csv error.JPG

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Here are official docs:

Yes, lots to read ... and comprehend!

Probably best, when posting in these forums, to post in appropriate forums rather than continuing a thread whose subject line does not match questions/issues ... other wise threads get confusing for all involved. smile

Briefly ... a .mbz file is a course backup ... use course restore with .mbz files.
Generally, If a .mbz file has 'nu' in it's name, there are no users contained in the backup that would be restored along with course content.  A .csv file is 'comma separated value' file most likely from a spreadsheet and could be used to setup new users.   There's help on csv files in docs. smile

'Spirit of Sharing' - ie, SoS,
Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Unbekannt Mensch -
Thank you. I was going to ask if I should repost it somewhere. I appreciate the heads up there as well as the info - the resources I downloaded were not clear on what it was they were providing and what I download.

As an ISD who has 20 years under my belt, I find it ironic that some explanations for Moodle resources are lacking in many ways. I know all the information is there in the documentation. The problem is that it is difficult for new users to find it and it takes a long time to read through everything. I am learning. Slowly but surely.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Out of curiosity, Unbekannt, when you say that you used cPanel, do you mean an auto-install utility, like Softculous or Installatron, provided by cPanel?

If so, you should contact Softculous or Installatron.

Incidentally, I experimented recently with Installatron. It's installation was not correct, even though Moodle appeared to be installed.  Also, you screenshot suggests that your installation was not the normal Moodle Boost theme.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Unbekannt Mensch -
It may have been something like that - I am not sure which one it was or what utility my host uses. Either way, the utility had me create a user name and PW and I was able to log in.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I recommend installing Moodle manually and not using the auto-installers.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
No, you cannot create users in the file structure - you can upload a csv file with user info to mass populate or connect to external authentication (lots of options here.)
You are in the wrong areas to restore a course, you need to go to courses, restore a course and upload the mbz file there. The upload courses link to to mass create courses with use of a csv file.
If you used Softaculous or another scripting wizard to install, we would all recommend that before you get any further, you manually install (though it sounds like you might have done that). There are a lot of installers out there that change core code and you will run into issues that we have no idea how to support due to the changes the installers make.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Unbekannt Mensch -
"No, you cannot create users in the file structure - you can upload a csv file with user info to mass populate or connect to external authentication (lots of options here.)"

Then correct me if I am wrong, that is creating users in the file structure. If I have a csv file with one user, I can still populate or does it need to be mass? Now I know what to google and what to look for.

Thanks!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
You can upload a single user with a csv file but you do it through the web ui which then populates the database etc. It is probably as quick just to add a user in the web interface.