"The page cannot be found" admin/index.php

"The page cannot be found" admin/index.php

by Adedayo Ogunsola -
Number of replies: 25

Hi all,

I just updated our moodle to v1.5 on a test server running apache 2.0 PHP 5.* and MySql DB, all running on win2003.

Normal users are able to login and access all the pages that they have been given access. No member of the admin-group can pass through the login page.

What could this problem be, and what is/are the possible solutions?

Thank You.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adedayo Ogunsola

Re: "The page cannot be found" admin/index.php

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Does the admin/index.php file actually exist? It is entirely possible that not all files have uploaded for some reason.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Michael C -

I'm having a similar problem.  Using 1.6.1, installed some blocks where everything worked, now when I hit ADMIN from the front page, I get a blank page.  If I hit CONFIG link or any other link in the admin block I can get in to that particular area.   admin/index.php just doesn't show up.  I've even tried to re-install all the files in the admin area and nothing, anyone have any ideas?

In reply to Michael C

by Sherry Brown -
Add one more user to the "blank testsite.com/moodle/admin/index.php" list. On my test server (on a PowerBook using MAMP with 1.5.4+ ), I have had this problem for about five days now. I reinstalled everything from scratch to no avail. I'm afraid this may migrate somehow to my production site.
In reply to Michael C

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you get a blank page, PHP is bombing out without sending any output to the browser (not even an error message). When this happens, there's usually an error message in the web service log files (or maybe the event viewer if you are running this on Windows).

Having a look there might shed some light.

Saludos. Iñaki.

by R Ullrich -

Same problem here.  PHP 5, MySQL IIS WIN2003.

Get a page not found error when I login as the admin.

Everyone else can login ok.  And 'yes' the admin file and folders are there...

Did an upgrade to Moodle 1.5.4 + hoping it would fix the problem but no luck.  Everything had been working ok.

In reply to R Ullrich

by R Ullrich -
Checked permmisions to the files and folders. Tried going up to 1.6 with still no luck.  Can't get to the admin page so it can't do the upgrades.  Any help would be great seems how this is final exam times.
In reply to R Ullrich

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Maybe you could have a look at the web service (apache, iis) and see what page you are being redirected to and is missing.

On the other hand, if authentication is done and the error is in the final redirection, you could try to access http://www.your.moodle/admin/index.php directly just after you get the page not found error and see if you can access that page or not.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by R Ullrich -

Thanks for your reply...  I'm in kind of a bind with this problem.

I can put the URL http://www.your.moodle/admin/index.php in and still get the Page not found error.  I'm using IIS.  I've tried restarting the service and the server too.  It's never had a problem like this before.

Any other thoughts?  I'm at a loss.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to R Ullrich

by Iñaki Arenaza -
If the file is really there (and you say it is), the only thing I can think about is that you have an /admin virtual directory defined in your IIS configuration that is searching in another part of the disk.

Have a look at the IIS management console and see if this is so or not.

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Aigars Zupa -
I have the same problem. I'm using iis 5. If I rename index.php and put there dummy index.php file everything is working. When the original file is there, i have an error. And i have no virtual admin directory defined.

Sorry about my english

by Thomas Giguiere -
I am having the same problem. I am running IIS on Win 2003 Server and the file is there.

Like other posters have stated, if I put a dummy index.php in the place of the existing file, the web server will serve the dummy file up just fine.

I have looked at the code in index.php and all the files it could possibly redirect to are on the server. has anyone resolved this issue?
In reply to Thomas Giguiere

by R Ullrich -

STILL having the same problem.  Just tried to do the latest up-date with no luck...  "page not found" for the /admin/index.php page.  No virtual directories called admin.  I even set full access to everyone for that folder.

ANYONE?

In reply to R Ullrich

by Ken Wilson -
This is a long shot... but I remember we had these 404 errors a while back. Setting this in mysql fixed it:

mysql> SET @@global.sql_mode=''; <ENTER>

HTH

Ken
In reply to Ken Wilson

by R Ullrich -
Nope, didn't work.  Thanks though.  Been stuck since April.
In reply to R Ullrich

by R Ullrich -

On a whim here is how I fixed it.  I renamed the config.php in the Moodle folder to config.php.old and the went to http://yoursite/install.php and let it recreate the config file and run the install script.  It seems to have worked.  I'm now at 1.6.1+.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to R Ullrich

by John Bueno -
Yes.. you are right.. and thanks.. this is the way to fix problem!!
In reply to R Ullrich

by John Bueno -
It's not  a securtity error. And the problem is not in index.php or mod.php. The problem is in lib/setup.php that is called by config.php that is called by index.php and mod.php. There is a problem in line 333 "class object {};" may be an error handling global environment variables in some servers (may be php under IIS).
If I find the fix.. I will show you!!

by Pat Headen -

When we upgraded from 1.4 to 1.6 we ran into the same problem with Assignment, workshop and the admin page.  We went ahead and upgraded to 1.6.1 and have the same issues...Page not found.  Each link leads to course/mod.php 

Faculty are getting their classes ready for fall and being unable to post assignments is a real issue.  Anyone found a solution yet?

In reply to Pat Headen

by Michael C -

I couldn't figure it out either, so I made sure that I uploaded ALL the files for the whole school and then the pages showed up.  I thought I uploaded all the files as well but looking at my logs of the school and my FTP program, it seems that the FTP times out and not all of the files were uploaded.

Of course some modules or plugins had to be re-installed as well but now the admin page shows up.

Hope this helps.

Michael

by Thomas Giguiere -
I am having the same problem with courses/edit.php. Obviously, this file exists in the filesystem, but the 404 comes up after trying to submit the create course form. Is this problem specific to IIS?

In reply to Thomas Giguiere

by Rhonda Goetz -

I am having the same issue as well.  Any fixes out there?  Running on Linux.

Rhonda

In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Without having access to PHP logs to see what is going on, I would add a sentence like this to .../moodle/admin/index.php:

die ("It seems the code is getting this far...");

This makes the page stop processing at the point the die() function is called, and send the text back to the browser. Put it at the beginning of the file and load the page. If you get the message back, move it a line or to below and load the page again. Do this until you get the blank page. The problematic code is the one before you die() function call.

This can be quite time consuming, but at least you will be able to find the line of code that prevents the page from loading, and diagnose the root of the problem.

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Rhonda Goetz -

That was very helpful.  This is the line that hangs it up:

upgrade_blocks_plugins("$CFG->wwwroot/$CFG->admin/index.php"); // Return here afterwards

If I comment it out, then the admin continues to upgrade and open.

What should I do about this?

In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Ok, one of the blocks is having problems. All of them are under .../moodle/blocks, with one subdirectory per block. Just remove one block subdirectory each time (don't delete it, just move it elsewhere *outside* .../moodle/blocks) to see which one is crashing Moodle.

Saludos. Iñaki.

WOO HOO!!

by Sherry Brown -
Apologies for the irrational exuberance but what fixed the blank page for me was editing my /admin/index.php page....

I scrolled to the end of the file and after the "?>" was another line. I deleted this and the admin/index.php magically reappeared after a two week hiatus. This was on my test site.

I am hoping a similar edit in my /login/index.php will remove the issue of "cookies not currently enabled" that happens on the production site that intermittenly occurs while on the school network.  Yes, there were extra lines after the "?>" - any idea of why this occurs?

-- Sherry