Selecting which fields appear in Signup Form

Selecting which fields appear in Signup Form

by Tay Moss -
Number of replies: 2
Is there an easy way to control which fields appear in the new user sign up form?  Right now it appears to show all active fields, marking them as "optional." But I've gotten a lot of user feedback that the form is overwhelming, even if these extra fields are marked "optional." Ideally we'd just be asking for the required fields at signup (username, password, email, first name, last name) and they could edit the other fields later as needed.  I think this approach is also more privacy-forward, as it wolud only ask for personal information that was relevant, and in my Moodle that only becomes apparent at the level of individual courses.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tay Moss

Re: Selecting which fields appear in Signup Form

by Tay Moss -
I figured out how to hide most of the user fields on the signup form. Go to Administration>Users>User Profile Fields  The "Edit" each field and one of the settings is "Display on signup page."

However, "City/Town" and "Country" still appear on the signup page. How do I hide these?
In reply to Tay Moss

Re: Selecting which fields appear in Signup Form

by Tay Moss -
This topic has come up several times before. I see that there some methods that involve "hiding" the field using CSS tricks. But surely there must be a more elegant solution?