How to disable "Select cohorts" in manual enrolment

How to disable "Select cohorts" in manual enrolment

by Tay Moss -
Number of replies: 5
On my site Teachers have the permission to manually enrol students. In the enrolment option screen, they see three drop downs:
  • Select Users
  • Select cohorts
  • Assign role

On two ocassions recently, less exprienced teachers Selected a User and then selected a plausable sounding cohort, and then a role, assuming that this action would put the selected user into the cohort and assign them a role and enrol them the course.  Of course what actually happened is they enrolled an entire cohort into the course.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the Teacher's ability to enrol entire cohorts? I quick search of the Role Defition for Teacher showed me where I disable their ability to enrol students manually, but I don't want to go that far.  Ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tay Moss

Re: How to disable "Select cohorts" in manual enrolment

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Remove cohort as an enrollment method of the course(s).
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Tay Moss -
How? Under “enrolment methods” this would be considered “Manual Enrolment” (we aren’t taking about cohort synch) Is there another place to change a setting so that enrolling by cohort is not allowed?
In reply to Tay Moss

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tay,

One way of not showing the 'Select cohorts' option is to edit the Teacher role and remove the capability to view site-wide cohorts (moodle/cohort:view).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tay Moss -
Thanks, Helen! You're right, that's the method. And it just so happens that I had already created a custom role called "Cohort Admin" that allows me to give CERTAIN teachers that capability, again, as needed.
Perfect, thanks!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tay Moss

Re: How to disable "Select cohorts" in manual enrolment [Solved]

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Tay for sharing your good idea to create a custom role to allow only certain teachers to select cohorts. 👍️